Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Problem with MBX 170mm round sliding under the follower when loaded

ktyler

I bought an MBX 170 for my 9 major which I load to 1.170. I can get 29 loaded in the mag. IT runs but at the end of the stage or that mag, there is round under the follower bouncing around in the spring. Thankfully that pistol still ran but that's not right. Any easy fix out there.

Thanks.

Keith

Contact MBX. I've had a big stick of theirs since Feb. 9 majors and 10k+ rounds with zero issues. I'll never go back to STI tubes. Adrian supports the sport and wants his product to run. He will make it right if it's broke.

Contact MBX. I've had a big stick of theirs since Feb. 9 majors and 10k+ rounds with zero issues. I'll never go back to STI tubes. Adrian supports the sport and wants his product to run. He will make it right if it's broke.

No issues with my 170 and 155s. I shoot 9 major and I would never go back to STI mags which would require the use of spacers...

5,000 + 9 major thru my 140's and 170's without issue since January as well. So many problems could be easily solved talking to the vendor instead of the negativity. This vendor "Adrian" from MBX, will make it right. You just need to talk to him and give him a chance.

Molson

5,000 + 9 major thru my 140's and 170's without issue since January as well. So many problems could be easily solved talking to the vendor instead of the negativity. This vendor "Adrian" from MBX, will make it right. You just need to talk to him and give him a chance.

Molson

I see negativity in some other threads but not in this one.

OP is pretty straightforward here with no negativity. Here's what's happening. This isn't right. Does anyone have a fix?

Hopefully Adrian is out of the office until Tuesday. Maybe the OP needs the magazine running correctly before then....

No issues with my 170 and 155s. I shoot 9 major and I would never go back to STI mags which would require the use of spacers...

There's always that SVI brand out there. I have used them for years, and they work consistently and without spacers.

The problem with salt shaker starts when you try to do too much. So in many cases changing to Grams followers will drop the round count by 1, but provide rock-solid operation.

If you wish to run SVI tubes with 29 rounds, consistently and reliably, ask Eric for help, his mod is extremely recommended.

My personal experience and future with MBX are uncertain. I have two 170's and use them in practice, but they have never demonstrated the reliability level that I want from my match magazines. I contacted the factory, maybe they could send me new springs/followers? They told me to ship the mags to them instead.

Now, given the low frequency of jams, I am skeptical regarding their chances of catching it. Are they going to shoot several hundred rounds on my behalf? If you ask me, I think they should have let me try new springs/followers, but they see it differently. So the mags remain for practice only.

If I needed one more 29 round magazine, I would buy another SVI.

Edited by Foxbat

There needs to be some tilt to the follower---if it's sitting too straight bend the spring a bit.

Load 20, smack the basepad on a solid surface to get them comfy. Do it again after 25 and when it's full.

Shake it--if it rattles at all smack it until it doesn't.

After some initial settling in I've got one that holds 29 and one that holds a reliable 30. My wife

has 2 that hold 29 comfy---30 really tight. No problems at all in 8 months of matches.

I've put my set of old SV's in reserve---using nothing but MBX now.

I've had issues with a 170mbx nose diving 5-6 rounds into a mag ... I did the "Enos" bend as advised by some guys on the forum and so far it's fixed the issue... Haven't had a chance to run it much since the fix but hoping it holds up like it has in practice

Need a new spring probably. If you have the new style follower it's likely just the spring. I've run SV and STI mags but i've been running the MBX for a while now without any issues. I can start with 31 in both my 170's and 28 in the 155's and around 23 in the 140's plus they are built like a tank. Very happy with the MBX.

• 3 months later...

Check the follower when out of the mag. Might be twisted. Make sure it's straight. And bend the nose of the follower up. You might need to bend the spring a bit. Also when loading. Make sure you settle the spring around round 15 when loading by pushing up and down with your loader.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk