Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New Slide looking for someone to Trim the Fat off! (slide lightnin

CocoBolo

I'm looking for someone that can lighten the slide and possible throw a finish on it for a reasonable charge while I'm still young. If they have a CNC set up to do slides just chuck it up and watch the flakes pile up? Just looking to get into the 10.5-11 oz range.

It is a 5" Caspian Slide, 2 barrels have cone comps regular stainless steel, have not been cut on before to match the slide. Barrels have been fit to slide and frame and fired in, just need to get the fat off the slide, and possibly cut the comps to match slide.

I would check out Lone Star Innovations. Glen is close by you and does some wonderful CNC multi axis milling. He is a full service gun builder. Check out his adjustable rear sight. The dove tail slides in from the back so the side of the slide is clear and the sight is automatically centered.

I just got an email from Glenn (Love Star Innovations) that he isn't taking any work for a few months. Otherwise, I was planning to send him a few of my projects myself.

I'm looking for someone that can lighten the slide and possible throw a finish on it for a reasonable charge while I'm still young. If they have a CNC set up to do slides just chuck it up and watch the flakes pile up? Just looking to get into the 10.5-11 oz range.

It is a 5" Caspian Slide, 2 barrels have cone comps regular stainless steel, have not been cut on before to match the slide. Barrels have been fit to slide and frame and fired in, just need to get the fat off the slide, and possibly cut the comps to match slide.

I can do that for you if you like. Here are some I have done.d2f64c9d10f9e7ab0ac19da7674892ef.jpg

My personal gun below.

c52edace2ab0700efbcd975ebaf249d3.jpg

Both tri-topped, Limited gun has plunge cuts as well as a shortened Government slide to fit the 4.15" Trubor blank. The Open slide on mine weighs 10.6 oz bare, it has a shelf cut in the rear with racker cut.

c4e53c7ca9398e04c9760b9d1f2deaa3.jpg65ca4ae69ceb252ea3e7767b21de1612.jpg

Sorry but I don't do coatings but I can do your stuff next week if you like, I only have one in the shop right not to finish so I could have it back to you in a week or so.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Edited by MrPostman

MrPostman what do you charge? I'll be looking to have a slide trimmed in the not too distant future...

Flat rate of $200 for lightening plus return shipping of $6 for USPS Priority mail for anything I can do on my DRO equipped manual mill. Tri-topping, ball end cuts, dovetails for racker, slots, serations and shaving.

The tri-top on my open gun reduced the weight by .9 oz, then .6 oz for the shelf cut with racker dovetail. I sand the machining marks with 400 grit afterwards for a slightly brushed finish which looks good without a coating. I just oil mine after every match.

Who is the manufacturer of your Ti comp? I would need to know the grade of Ti being used, and what you had in mind. If you want it tri-topped and want the comp to match we wouldn't want it to end up cracking down the line due to loss of structural rigidity from the material that was removed.

Machining of the comp is not a necessity, I was just curious. It's one of Jared's (Binary Engineering) CFD comps. Its listed as 6AL-4V titanium.

If it were mine I would not cut on it anywhere past the threaded section. The first baffle wall is very thin, cutting any material from there would not be a good idea.

Machining of the comp is not a necessity, I was just curious. It's one of Jared's (Binary Engineering) CFD comps. Its listed as 6AL-4V titanium.

If it were mine I would not cut on it anywhere past the threaded section. The first baffle wall is very thin, cutting any material from there would not be a good idea.

Roger. Good to know

Edited by js1130146

$200 seems pretty reasonable for a tri-top, some ball cuts, racker cut etc.

Mr postman, I love the shelf cut on the rear of your open gun. that is something I have not seen before and having seen so many open guns that doesn't happen often! nice work.

$200 seems pretty reasonable for a tri-top, some ball cuts, racker cut etc.

Mr postman, I love the shelf cut on the rear of your open gun. that is something I have not seen before and having seen so many open guns that doesn't happen often! nice work.

Thanks!

MrPostman I may be interested in getting some work done on my Apeiro, are you an FFL holder if I wanted work done to the frame as well as the slide? Are you capable of applying any finishes after you finish machining? Or is all work returned in the white?

MrPostman I may be interested in getting some work done on my Apeiro, are you an FFL holder if I wanted work done to the frame as well as the slide? Are you capable of applying any finishes after you finish machining? Or is all work returned in the white?

Sorry, no FFL which is why I generally don't do frames unless the person is local and they can be there while I do the work. The slide you can ship and I can cut on it no problem. I don't do coatings yet so the work will be returned in the white. Thanks for your interest :D

Edited by MrPostman

Sorry, no FFL which is why I generally don't do frames unless the person is local and they can be there while I do the work. The slide you can ship and I can cut on it no problem. I don't do coatings yet so the work will be returned in the white. Thanks for your interest :D
Be careful, ATF says you need to be licensed to do gunsmithing work, regardless of it being on actual serialized parts or not.

Be careful, ATF says you need to be licensed to do gunsmithing work, regardless of it being on actual serialized parts or not.

Can you provide a link to something that documents this requirement? Everything I've read says gunsmiths work on guns (I.e., the serialized part).

Thanks

Yep to the best of my knowledge on this, the serialized part can be worked on only if the person who owns the gun is present, and the serialized frame/gun cannot be left with me overnight. That is what I read when I checked into this last year.

The slide is just a hunk of metal with no serial numbers so it doesn't fall into that category. But then this is the ATF so.....

If I could get an FFL and use my shop in the back yard as the official address then I would, but as I understand it you have to have a brick and mortar location away from your home, so I would have to do a lot of business to make it worth my while. Plus I already have a full time job and it just wouldn't be feasible for me to go through all that trouble.