Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Erosion around firing pin hole

shooterclay

I have seen the BFE on 9 major guns using rifle primers. Heck, I got it on my limited gun shooting major 40 using federal magnum primers during the dark days of 2008. The Federals you are using should seal just fine. Not sure about the CCI as I have no experience with them.

Hello: I use Winchester small rifle primers and have for years. No erosion at all. I think part of it maybe that I seat my primers very deep. Actually flattening the primer some. This may cause it to seal a lot better. I have never noticed that the primers had any blow by---ever. I am shooting major 9mm, 40 major and minor, 45acp and 38spl and 38 super/comp. Thanks, Eric

When primers were hard to find, I loaded some 9 Major loads with Federal SPP. Within 500 rds I saw small ring of erosion around the firing pin hole.

Switched back to Winchester SRP and the erosion did not get worse.

Others reported erosion on their slide attributed to using SRP on minor loads. Not enough pressure to seal properly?

fed SPP and SRP are basically the go to primer for competition loads in both minor and major and 9 and 38 super. they are quite soft and should seal very well. do you have any un-usual marks on fired primers? primer flow? piercing etc?

how many rounds on that slide.

I agree with you on that sarge (I use fed SRP) but there is generally a camp that will say the opposite which is that if your load is not hot enough (no one knows what 'hot enough' exactly means) that the SRP don't seal the primer pocket as well as the SPP do and that causes breach erosion. Now this argument falls over a little given the fact that all primers are different. I'd wager an S+B SPP has a harder cup than a fed SRP.

Flat primers will the fed SPP is not uncommon and not really a worry till you start getting nasty stuff like bad primer flow, cratering, piercing etc.

Second question are you sure it's really breach erosion and not just some marking that can be cleaned/scraped off?

6500 rounds is to me no where near the kind of count that should have any visible wear signs in the slide.

The last time I cleaned it- a week ago I noticed what looked like a short hair line going across the area where the primer hits the breach face. I ran a stainless dental pick across it and it would hang up in it. I wasn't sure if it was a scratch or a crack, it's very small and doesn't show up when I take a pic of it. I'll just keep a eye on it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

I shot a near stock .45 in major L-10 for years. I happened to look at the breechface one day and it has a complete circle of pinholes around it. It still shoots great but looks bad.

I always shot WLP or Federal primers. I posted about it a long time ago. I don't know why it eroded. But it's got over 50,000 Rds on it.

I wonder how much it'd cost to fix it?

I started to experience BFE with my XDM using federal small pistol magnum match primers. The load is 3.8 grains of Power Pistol pushing a 147 grain lead bullet...OAL 1.140. This load produces a minor PF of 132. Thinking it might be the magnum primer I'm going back to a standard small pistol primer.