Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which Factory Open Gun and Cal To Buy

MKitzmiller

I've been shooting USPSA Open with an STI Steel Master.

I'm shooting the gun well. However, shooting minor in open has officially caught up with my skill set. I'm going to buy another open gun this week with a 4K budget. I'm going to buy a factory built gun and once I settle into major, I'll have a custom gun built. I'm the meantime, any insight with regard to gun and 9mm/.38 S. Would be sooooooo appreciated!

For $4K, I'd go with a CK Arms Hardcore gun with a steel grip. But, for around $500 more you can get a true custom from someone like Atlas in a reasonable amount of time. Both of my guns are in 9mm Major and I have no regrets.

Dan's guns look awesome. He's at a 3-5 month lead time. I think I'm going to get my hands on the CK and give it hell. I really don't have the time behind an open, (major) gun to know what parts and amenities I'd prefer over the next for a custom build anyway.

Hi-Power, my Steel Master could be adjusted to shoot major I suppose. The gun was built for minor loads and with all of the lighting of the gun and the internals, I'm not sure how it'd hold up.

I'm not interested in destroying a perfectly good gun and my wife gave me "the look" when I even mentioned selling it. Apparently she's fond of that pistol. LOL

I should be a proud new owner by Thursday, (shipping).. Went with a CK Thunder series in 9mm and the RTS2 optic.. I'm done with the plastic slide ride CMore's..

I'd never even heard of CK Arms until i took my questions to the forum. Thanks again for all of the feedback!

Now... 9mm major load data is next.. I'm running Autocomp in minor. Anyone run that powder for the big boy loads?

That's funny, when I was buying HP-38 for my 3Gun 9mm loads last weekend the sales clerk, (everyone seems to be a competitor here in Arizona) was a huge proponent of HS-6.

Are 115's the "standard" for major?? I run 124's typically..

You'll see a pretty large number of folks in both camps (115 and 124). Most of the 115 grain camp argue that with the extra powder required for the lighter projectile, you get more efficient use of the compensator and a flatter shooting gun (at the expense of some snappy recoil). The 124 grain camp believe the heavier projectile with less powder produces a softer shooting gun. These are just generalizations based on reading several threads here on Enos. You really have to try both to get a sense of what you prefer. In my heavy steel gripped guns, I like the 115s with 8.8 grains of HS-6.

BTW--nice choice on going with the CK Arms. I've got one of the Thunder Limited Guns and it's been fantastic.

Edited by tyler2you

You'll see a pretty large number of folks in both camps (115 and 124). Most of the 115 grain camp argue that with the extra powder required for the lighter projectile, you get more efficient use of the compensator and a flatter shooting gun (at the expense of some snappy recoil). The 124 grain camp believe the heavier projectile with less powder produces a softer shooting gun. These are just generalizations based on reading several threads here on Enos. You really have to try both to get a sense of what you prefer. In my heavy steel gripped guns, I like the 115s with 8.8 grains of HS-6.

BTW--nice choice on going with the CK Arms. I've got one of the Thunder Limited Guns and it's been fantastic.

Awesome. Thanks Tyler!

Edited by MKitzmiller

If you look at the statistics for nationals 124's/125's are the norm in open by a very wide margin.

I shot 115's for a few years and liked it fine but now I'm migrating back to heavier bullets. I really like Montana Gold 121 IFP OVER 7.4 WAC @1.165. PF 172-3

My open gun will arrive to me on Thursday. I know that a "break in" period is a bit of a controversy. However, I'm wondering if I should go through the labor of building a bunch of major pf 9mm or maybe reduce the spring and shoot some factory stuff. ANY recommendations would be most appreciated.

My first gun ran straight out of the box without a hiccup (9lb spring and major PF ammo). My second gun wouldn't cycle the slide far enough to get a second round in the chamber. For that one I had to drop down to a 6 lb spring to get it to cycle at around 75% reliability. I was starting to think it was never going to work when magically around the 400 round mark, it started running like a top. I was also able to go up to a 9 lb spring on that one as well.

I think it's all going to be gun dependent, but I'd bet you won't need to put more than 200 rounds of major PF ammo through that CK before it's running reliably. I wouldn't waste my time with minor PF ammo.