Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Build open top end

itzjere

I currently have a 9mm 2011 that I would like to have a complete open top end built for (slide, barrel, comp, small parts, etc). I would like to be able to swap between my current top end, and this newly build one.

I realize purchasing a complete used open gun such as a trubor would be faster, easier and cheaper.. however, being in CA, getting those pistols into the state is the hard part for me. I was lucky enough to be able to get my current frame into the state some time ago.

Can you guys recommend me builders that would build me a complete top end? The few groups that I have reached out to seem more interesting in building me a complete gun, and not a top end. I realize I will need to have my frame drilled for the optic mount. Shipping my frame out to the builder to have the slide and barrel fitted to my frame is not an issue.

Thanks!

Edited by itzjere

Dan Bedell

He builds Max M. Guns that's a great endorsement in it self

Priced same as rest of market and below some

He just finished a upper for me super satisfied

Edited by jcc7x7

Where in CA are you at? Even if you have a top end built by someone out of state you will still need to have the slide and barrel both fit to the frame by a smith.

If the frame you have is not complete you will need to have all the fire control components fit and safeties blended, unless that is something you can do yourself.

If you are just looking to have the machine work for the top end and fitting to frame done, and you are planning on building the rest out you would be looking for a "short block".

Glenn at Lone Star Innovations just built a top end for a friend, and then my friend took the top end and frame to a local smith for fitting. It came out really nice.

I'm interested in going into open, but being in CA, it is very hard for me to get a complete open gun. Luckily, I already have a 2011 frame and grip, so I can build a top end to put on it. Can you guys recommend me builders that would build me a top end? The few groups that I have reached out to seem more interesting in building me a complete gun, and not a top end. I realize I will need to have my frame drilled for the optic mount, but I can get that done locally.

Thanks!

Is the frame complete with hammer,safeties, sear, disconnector and ejector? If not then there is quite a bit more fitting involved. The last upper I did for a customer cost him $1000 for the parts and labor. Then he wanted to lighten it some later so another $200 labor for that. Not trying to discourage you but if you can get a complete used open gun you will probably come out cheaper and with basically no wait for the work to be completed. You can sell the frame and grip for about $500 to get things started. Edited by MrPostman

Dan Bedell

Thanks, I'll look into him!

Where in CA are you at? Even if you have a top end built by someone out of state you will still need to have the slide and barrel both fit to the frame by a smith.

If the frame you have is not complete you will need to have all the fire control components fit and safeties blended, unless that is something you can do yourself.

If you are just looking to have the machine work for the top end and fitting to frame done, and you are planning on building the rest out you would be looking for a "short block".

Glenn at Lone Star Innovations just built a top end for a friend, and then my friend took the top end and frame to a local smith for fitting. It came out really nice.

I'm in northern CA.. Sacramento area.

My lower frame is complete. I currently have a running 9mm 2011 with all the items that I want in it (EGW fire controls, SVI trigger, metal grip).. I'm looking to be able to swap between my 9mm minor top end to an open top end. Shipping out my frame to a builder to have the top end fitted to my frame is not a problem for me.

I'll look into Glenn @ Lone Star. Thanks!

Edited by itzjere

I'm interested in going into open, but being in CA, it is very hard for me to get a complete open gun. Luckily, I already have a 2011 frame and grip, so I can build a top end to put on it. Can you guys recommend me builders that would build me a top end? The few groups that I have reached out to seem more interesting in building me a complete gun, and not a top end. I realize I will need to have my frame drilled for the optic mount, but I can get that done locally.

Thanks!

Is the frame complete with safeties,sear, disconnector and ejector? If not then there is quite a bit more fitting involved. The last upper I did for a customer cost him $1000 for the parts and labor. Then he wanted to lighten it some later so another $200 labor for that. Not trying to discourage you but if you can get a complete used open gun you will probably come out cheaper and with basically no wait for the work to be completed. You can sell the frame and grip for about $500 to get things started.

Yes, the frame is totally complete. It my current running 9mm.

I understand that a complete used open gun such as a trubor will be cheaper and faster.. however I am in CA.. so getting a 2011 is not simple for me like those in free states. I've done all the hard work in getting the frame into the state and in my name already which I'm trying to avoid doing over again. Yay CA right?

Fed law is you can send your gun to a ffl for work and they can send it directly back to you. I don't know if California has some other state legislation to get in the way of that.

Call Dan he will know if he can send it directly back to you.

Dan Bedell 1 716 868 1171

I just got my open gun back from Jim at Innovative Custom Guns, they did great work. Very easy to get a hold of and return phone calls. And I shipped to him and shipped back to me.

Edited by Steelix

Try Jojo. Jvdynamics.com I think he is in your neck of the woods

Thanks, I'll check them out.

Fed law is you can send your gun to a ffl for work and they can send it directly back to you. I don't know if California has some other state legislation to get in the way of that.

Call Dan he will know if he can send it directly back to you.

Dan Bedell 1 716 868 1171

Yes, I can ship my gun/frame out and receive it back directly. I have done with already once.

I'll talk to Dan. Thanks for his info!

Limcat Custom. Just a couple hours away from you in Reno

Oh right! Duh!

I just got my open gun back from Jim at Innovative Custom Guns, they did great work. Very easy to get a hold of and return phone calls. And I shipped to him and shipped back to me.

I'll check them out. Thanks!

Also, I wanted to ask.. I've seen people build open top ends on limited guns.. Is there anything I should be aware of when going this path? My current lower is already setup for 9, so I'm not worried about my ejector.. but is there anything I should be concerned about?

Tough to rack a gun from front serrations with any kind of thumb rest on it

Doesn't seem to worry me with either of the 2 TS's in this pic, although I do now run grip tape over the stock serrations.

4e69f9c8fad3575961694dc6680835b0.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tough to rack a gun from front serrations with any kind of thumb rest on it

I have tried a few of my friend's open guns and don't see to have this issue. The slide racker easily clears.

one of the things you need to think about is if you want to drill the frame or not for scope mount. a slide mounted optic would take care of that and you can swap back and forth between uppers without any mod to the frame.

Yes, I will have the frame drilled for an optic mount. No worry there. When not having the open top end on, I will put mount a thumb rest in it's place. I already have a Nitrofin, but having a GoGun instead would be nice.

Dan Bedell

+1 on Dan Bedell, I sent him my slide, barrel and frame for him to fit. Fast and fair priced.

one of the things you need to think about is if you want to drill the frame or not for scope mount. a slide mounted optic would take care of that and you can swap back and forth between uppers without any mod to the frame.

Yes, I will have the frame drilled for an optic mount. No worry there. When not having the open top end on, I will put mount a thumb rest in it's place. I already have a Nitrofin, but having a GoGun instead would be nice.

I think he means the opposite if you want to swap between a Open and a Iron sight top end you can better make the open setup with a slide mounted optic .

Than you don't have to take the mount for the optic of the frame everytime you swap .

Because when you do this you also have to re zero when you put it back on , and in time your mounting holes will wear out .

I have had this setup and noticed i did not swap the topends because of this , now i have my optic slide mounted and now this is a breeze .

I now can swap between my Open 9 , Iron 9 and Open .22 topend in less than a minute .

Without having to re zero .

I think he means the opposite if you want to swap between a Open and a Iron sight top end you can better make the open setup with a slide mounted optic .

Than you don't have to take the mount for the optic of the frame everytime you swap .

Because when you do this you also have to re zero when you put it back on , and in time your mounting holes will wear out .

I have had this setup and noticed i did not swap the topends because of this , now i have my optic slide mounted and now this is a breeze .

I now can swap between my Open 9 , Iron 9 and Open .22 topend in less than a minute .

Without having to re zero .

I don't mind removing the mount every time. The reality is I know I won't be swapping that often.. its more about knowing I can always switch it back if I want to.. I have also shot slide mounted optics, and it's not for me.