Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

DVC .38 SC ports/poople holes

straightravage

When I first had my FGW open gun built, I had a slot cut for holes but none were drilled. I started with 124s, as I was just learning the game and wanted to play it safe. The first time I tried 115s was a game changer. I had to send the gun back to Bobby for some repairs and had him drill 2 1/8" holed while it was there. I adjusted my 115 load back up to a 175PF ( only lost about 20fps with the holes) and the dot tracking was perfect. It always went straight up and returned to center....it just seemed to happen a LOT faster with the holes. When I have another gun built, I'm going to experiment with v4 holes in addition to some straight up....I love the concussion

• 1 month later...

The one thing to consider is when the slide cracks will STI warranty it after you modify their gun? They seem to be cracking between the slots so it is something to consider.

Mine just cracked... Its the 4th one from my group to crack... This does not make me feel good about my second dvc... Hope STI stays in business... I certainly wouldn't suggest milling anything more out of the slide... They just don't seem to be able to handle it as it is already

It looks as if they aren't setting a sufficient gap between the end if the slide and the comp. they are looking for for a seemless look, but you need at least a 3-5 thou gap all the way around the comp when in lock up. Casically the slides are beating themselves to death.

• 3 weeks later...

It looks as if they aren't setting a sufficient gap between the end if the slide and the comp. they are looking for for a seemless look, but you need at least a 3-5 thou gap all the way around the comp when in lock up. Casically the slides are beating themselves to death.

Agreed, they appear to not be following some of the most basic gun smithing rules and the slides are apparently beating themselves to death. I always go the plunge EDM route for holes. It's expensive, but it's the best method. Absolutely burr less, no effect on anything but recoil and velocity.

I highly recommend porting on everything. Another problem with that particular model is that big fat comp on the end, it weighs too damn much for the lock-up time to be what is necessary for the best open gun imaginable IMHO.