Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Docter Dots

brian45acp

I currently have an order in with Docter USA via Dean. It was suggested to me this is the best place to get these and have them bullet proofed for slide mount application.

Does anyone have any experience with Docter USA and this bullet proofing service?

I'm looking forward to them on my CZ. Currently I'm trying to see if milling is an option because of the FPB holes being partially exposed already in the rear sight dovetail.

Edited by brian45acp

I wouldn't pay a bunch of extra money to "bulletproof" an optic. If their optics can't handle slide ride use they should probably do that "service" to all of them in my opinion.

I feel the same way but the shooters in the know seem to feel dots just aren't strong enough. I was happy to hear about Docter USA doing this service because for $125 it seems worth the insurance.

I asked many people about other brands but it seems slide mounted is what kills just about all of them sooner or later. I intend to try carry optics on my sp-01 and possibly if I take really well to it have one milled on my 75 compact for CCW.

Trijicon RMR, leupold deltapoint and the JP red dot come bullet proofed from the factory. I have been using them on slide mounted hand guns and open shotguns without loss of zero or diode failures.

I have a Docter sight 2 mounted on the slide of my open 9 major works great .

This is the special IPSC model made for mounting on handguns ( and is supposed to already have stronger electronics ) .

Don't know if this one is available in the USA .

A shooting buddy of mine had one on his open 38 super for years never had a problem with it .

post-42245-0-96391100-1463394967_thumb.j

Edited by Tino2212

Search Docter USA he is the only one who can get them apparently

Tino2212:

That is good to hear. Dean said the same thing. He chooses the Docter 2 over the newer models and then does his bullet proof package on them. It is the militart grade one and I guess you already found it to be robust so the additional work he does should really make it a tank. Dean told me it would not fail and according to his website there is a 5 year no questions asked warranty aside from glass breakage.

I have 3 bulletproofed docter sights done by Bevin Grams. One on an open gun that is going on 100,000 rounds. In the past I have tried to run non bulletproofed docters on a slide mt, some lasted 5,000 rounds others 5. I have had no luck holding zero before I had my slide machined for the docter by Bevin and the slide cut that Dean shows looks like the one I have.

I have this one is a special edition , made for mounting on a IPSC open gun .

But i can only find him on the site of docter germany .

I think is the same as a normal one that has been " bullet proofed" .

post-42245-0-42187000-1463404964_thumb.j

Edited by Tino2212

• 2 months later...

What all do they do exactly in the bulletproofing? I have a Docter 2 Plus on a Beretta and just got it back from Germany after it failed internally. So far so good. Does anyone have pics of the underside of a bulletproofed sight? Curious if there is anything visible.