Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What Magnet do you run on your belt setup?

Novock

Ace and other retail sell crappy magnets. Use these for DIY. I have had several on my belt and I also use them to mount equipment such as Video Cameras, WiFi Access points to building steel. I've had to leave them on building before because nobody could pry them off. You have to slide them off. They are the type DAA uses.

There are many different sizes and hole types with any thread pattern you could want.

http://www.kjmagnetics.com/proddetail.asp?prod=MMS-B-X8

They sell those on amazon for about the same price including the prime shipping, I was thinking about getting one and mounting it to an extra hanger I have. How large is the hole in the middle? Would a fairly large screw fit through it?

Be careful. There's a reason I buy directly from KJMagenetics. I KNOW the quality and holding power are exactly as specified. If you go to the link they show full technical details including hole size, dimensions and magnetic field properties. A sub from Amazon, not so sure.

The neodymium / rare earth magnets are nothing like the black hardware store magnets. The holding power is no joke and they can be dangerous for kids or if someone doesn't know how powerful they are. I ordered a pair of 1/2" ones and when opening the package I had one in each hand and not thinking I went to "test" them together. At about 3" apart it sucked my hands together pinching a finger and split the skin wide open.

I now hang my belt in the shop to a cast iron pipe for storage!

• 2 months later...

I run a DAA magnet with belt loop attachment. The decision to go this route was personal preference, but at least for me it suited my needs. The magnet gets very little practical use, but is in a position that does not interfere with my draw while allowing easy placement of a mag on a pickup stage.

I run CR Speed pouches with the DAA magnet made for the CR speed pouch. It mounts perfect and works great. I thought about rigging my own thing but this is exactly what I wanted and it works great.