Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What Magnet do you run on your belt setup?

Novock

I have my first 2011 (CK Arms Thunder Open gun) on its way and am wondering what you guys are running for a belt magnet for table starts and show clear storage after a run. I run a complete CR Speed belt setup and will want a magnet that attaches to the belt securely but doesn't take up to much space as I am a 3 gunner and need my belt space.

Let me know what you use. Any pics would be much appreciated!

I drilled and tapped my front race master pouch and mounted the DAA magnet to it.

Pretty sure you could do that with any pouch as long as you loctite it

Edited by Sarge

Drilled and tapped my mag pouch as well, but just bought a $5 magnet from fleet farm. But clearly you don't want my advice because I already told you this. HA!!

eern, following the OPEN pistols forum? I get you to shoot 1 match OPEN and now your hooked huh... Put your single stack and limited guns up for sale in the classifieds and get an OPEN blaster already!

Drilled and tapped my mag pouch as well, but just bought a $5 magnet from fleet farm. But clearly you don't want my advice because I already told you this. HA!!

It's cuz you are always yelling.

I got the DAA magnet (magnet only) and fastened it to a spare tek lok I had lying around.

They also make a magnet with just a "belt loop". No need for modifications/self engineering.

http://www.doublealpha.biz/magnetic-mag-holder?osCsid=159be18032f39be09c90ff70edcf2f0d

At the time it was a $30 delta between the belt loop version and bare magnet. I had a spare tek lok in the drawer so my total cost for the magnet was $12.

It didn't take anything exotic, just the regular tek lok hardware and a washer. As a plus it is easier to remove and replace than DAA, although the footprint is significantly larger. With 3 pouches on the belt I have plenty of room.

I got the DAA magnet (magnet only) and fastened it to a spare tek lok I had lying around.

They also make a magnet with just a "belt loop". No need for modifications/self engineering.

http://www.doublealpha.biz/magnetic-mag-holder?osCsid=159be18032f39be09c90ff70edcf2f0d

At the time it was a $30 delta between the belt loop version and bare magnet. I had a spare tek lok in the drawer so my total cost for the magnet was $12.

It didn't take anything exotic, just the regular tek lok hardware and a washer. As a plus it is easier to remove and replace than DAA, although the footprint is significantly larger. With 3 pouches on the belt I have plenty of room.

To be clear, I wasn't trying to run you down for making your own setup. Some of the best setups are home made.

I was just stating that there is a factory solution.

To be clear, I wasn't trying to run you down for making your own setup. Some of the best setups are home made.

I was just stating that there is a factory solution.

True, but all of the factory solutions are much more expensive without offering anything more. Hardware store magnet + bolt + CR Speed loop = ~$12. About a third the cost of anything pre-made out there that I'm aware of.

I have the CR Speed magnet, a quirk for it is that it just slides on the belt, nothing keeps it from moving around. Once your two belts are together the velcro keeps it from moving, but when your outer belt is off, it can slide out of position. Take it for what you will, it is either an advantage in being able to configure your belt, or a hassle that you have to make sure it hasn't moved.

I have gone DIY (magnets of ebay and stuck them to my CR speed pouches), I've gone stand alone magnet and now I run a DAA race master pouch with magnet on the first pouch (I prefer this way).

but if you want the stand alone magnet even though DIY is cheaper the double alpha magnets are super powerful (enough to mess up my watch calibration when it got close!), have a really nice bracket and you can fit 2 mags on there and most importantly they'll STAY there while you move/run. many other magnets will hold an empty mag, or hold a mag while you're standing still but if you have to pick up a full mag then run to another position before using it most of the DIY ones will loose the mag. the DAA one will hold that mag solid.

http://www.doublealpha.biz/magnetic-mag-holder

I have gone DIY (magnets of ebay and stuck them to my CR speed pouches), I've gone stand alone magnet and now I run a DAA race master pouch with magnet on the first pouch (I prefer this way).

but if you want the stand alone magnet even though DIY is cheaper the double alpha magnets are super powerful (enough to mess up my watch calibration when it got close!), have a really nice bracket and you can fit 2 mags on there and most importantly they'll STAY there while you move/run. many other magnets will hold an empty mag, or hold a mag while you're standing still but if you have to pick up a full mag then run to another position before using it most of the DIY ones will loose the mag. the DAA one will hold that mag solid.

Good point. All that $$ savings is down the drain if you get to Nationals and have to slap your big stick on the magnet and it flys off before you need it.

Good point. All that $$ savings is down the drain if you get to Nationals and have to slap your big stick on the magnet and it flys off before you need it.

That's the kicker... If you lose the magazine once (even at a local match) it was a bad move... Screw it. Just bought the DAA magnet!

yep, my point exactly. I bought some like 40mm size magnets on ebay and did the DIY thing but their strength was nothing even close to the DAA magnet.

it's so strong you truly can't just pull the mag straight off, you have to slide it off just like sliding it out of a pouch. it seems expensive but it's the correct tool for the job.

even the weight of a 126mm mag with 15 rounds in it is fairly significant. a 170 with 30 in there is heavy little bugger.

you'll be happy with the DAA magnet. :)

yep, my point exactly. I bought some like 40mm size magnets on ebay and did the DIY thing but their strength was nothing even close to the DAA magnet.

it's so strong you truly can't just pull the mag straight off, you have to slide it off just like sliding it out of a pouch. it seems expensive but it's the correct tool for the job.

even the weight of a 126mm mag with 15 rounds in it is fairly significant. a 170 with 30 in there is heavy little bugger.

you'll be happy with the DAA magnet. :)

^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ What he said.

Chalk me up to another one that tried to DIY a setup using two smaller magnets from ACE hardware. Put them on a bracket, screwed them to a mag pouch attachment....no bueno. Even with the two magnets, the magazine wouldn't stay put. I bought the DAA Magnet, screwed it on to an old Racer Mag pouch attachment, works great.

Ace and other retail sell crappy magnets. Use these for DIY. I have had several on my belt and I also use them to mount equipment such as Video Cameras, WiFi Access points to building steel. I've had to leave them on building before because nobody could pry them off. You have to slide them off. They are the type DAA uses.

There are many different sizes and hole types with any thread pattern you could want.

http://www.kjmagnetics.com/proddetail.asp?prod=MMS-B-X8