Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SNS vs Xtreme

narcosis2001

Hello,

have about 1200 left of xtreme 147 hp I'm using and they run fine at 1.140. Most people at club are now running sns,or blue.

Looking for any advice or info on loads with sns 147 or 135 gr vs the xtreme.

Seems there is a movement towards the 135's now and I haven't tried yet,but just ordered a sample box of sns 135 red bullets,but need to find a good recipe for wsf

thx for any info or opinions

Since the 135's are 8% lighter than 147's, I'd start with the same amount

of WSF that you're using for the heavier bullets, and work up, slowly,

with a chrono. :)

But, don't forget to run The Plunk Test on your new bullets - might have to

be longer (or shorter) than the 147's.

First, you owe it to yourself to migrate from plated to coated. The only additional loading concern for coated is possibly needing to bell the case mouth a little more to make sure you aren't scraping the coating off. Other than that, it's the same as every other bullet.

The "NEW" SNS 135gr coated bullets are my current go-to. It's the "Brick Red" one. As to load data, I have not loaded it with WSF. I load it with Bullseye, and it's a laser.

ACME coated bullets are also top-notch.

I've shot several thousands of BAYOU 135 and really enjoyed how accurate they are.

Good compromise between the supposed "snap" of the 125 and the "push" of the 147

Load's with WSF have been between 4.0 -4.3grs of WSF at 1.135

to get the front sight return I'm looking for and the reliability in the gun, i.e mostly SIG 226's and a few M&P's

SNS 147 FP NLG Coated is all I use now in 9mm. 1.135 - 1.14 over 3.8gr WSF runs really well in all of my 9s, especially my CZs in the 900 fps neighborhood. Accuracy and function are very consistent. Great load IMO.

SNS 147 FP NLG Coated is all I use now in 9mm. 1.135 - 1.14 over 3.8gr WSF runs really well in all of my 9s, especially my CZs in the 900 fps neighborhood. Accuracy and function are very consistent. Great load IMO.

I run this same bullet and really like them. I shot a few thousand Xtreme's last year but then switched back to SNS. I run the LFP's at 1.13 OAL over ~3.5 gr of TG. VERY soft shooting.

SNS bullets are all I buy anymore and I've been super happy with the performance and the price.

I shoot the SNS brick red 135. The coating is much smoother and glossier than any other coated bullet I've shot, and I've shot a bunch. ;)

Good to know. Will be needing more 147 FP soon and eager to get the new red.

When I bought my first press a few years ago, I started with Xtreme 147s. Went through quite a few and I still believe they are a great copper plated bullet. For me, the HiTek coated lead was more accurate and the SNS FP does everything I want it to do. I've experimented with different weights and profiles but keep coming back to this one. YMMV of course but I doubt it. :)

Edited by JLeeCZ

So would you say SNS 135 gr or 147gr. I am loading with WFS.

Personally have never tried the 135gr. Not a lot of load data out there but a lot of guys love them. I started with 147s because that's the weight of my carry round. Once I found the load that has worked so well, just stuck with it. Try both. WSF works great with 147s(1st recommended to me by Bayou) and pretty sure someone here has some data for the 135s. I like the NLG style which is one reason I ended up settling on the SNS brand.

I've accumulated a good supply of powder, including Titegroup although I have yet to try it for any load. WSF works to well with the 147s for me to tinker any further.

Edited by JLeeCZ

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/23/2016 at 8:22 AM, IDescribe said:

First, you owe it to yourself to migrate from plated to coated. The only additional loading concern for coated is possibly needing to bell the case mouth a little more to make sure you aren't scraping the coating off. Other than that, it's the same as every other bullet.

The "NEW" SNS 135gr coated bullets are my current go-to. It's the "Brick Red" one. As to load data, I have not loaded it with WSF. I load it with Bullseye, and it's a laser.

ACME coated bullets are also top-notch.

Would you be willing to share what your load is ? I just loaded up some 125s with Bullseye and 135s with Titegroup and they were all a little bit hot. I started my 125s out with 3.7 - 3.9 - 4.1 of Bullseye and my 135s 3.4 - 3.7 - 4.0 of Tightgroup I also did 135s with 3.8 of bullseye and the power factor was 147 and they were anything but a laser :-(

Thanks

Guy

Got me interested in trying some 135s. Got plenty of the 147s loaded to fall back on.  Hate to think I'm missing something. Seems like 4.2gr WSF might be a good place to start. Just visited the SNS web sight and read the 135s(red) have a new profile to allow for longer OAL. Caught my eye.