Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9major load- have I priced my components properly?

ScottieShootz

Ok, I'm in the process of building an open 2011, and will not be reloading myself for this. I originally had planned to shoot factory 38sc and call it a day.

So from AA 38sc is $21 a box, and if I can make the gun run properly with Geco 38super at $16 a box I'd use that for practice and AA at matches to help with the costs.

Now, I did find a local company will load 9 major for me for $80 per 1000. I supply all components. For $15 extra they will roll size as well.

I've not ordered a barrel or extractor yet for this build since I'm now rethinking my route. Was looking at going KKM and either Cheely titanium comp or Bedell titanium Comp cut down.

Using another member's load info on here with a KKM barrel and popple holes with 124 MG, 7.gr Win 572 and a PF of 173.

Using Mid South Shooter Supply for my pricing with my own collected range brass (I've been smart over the years), 124 MG bullets and winchester SP primers

(I will ask around my club to see if someone can work up a few loads for me to do testing on before I settle on a load to drop off with the company.)

I used the handloads.com calculator for the below:

Component Cost
Powder 1 lbs $19.99 (for 1k loads, I probably need 1.3lbs or powder)
Powder Charge 7.3gr
Primer 1000 $28.99
Bullets 1000 $135.00
Calculate
Cost / round $ 0.185
Cost / 50 $ 9.24
Cost / 1000 $ 184.84
-----------------------------
Plus $80 fee to load all components and $15 for roll sizing
Which gives me roughly $14 per box of 50.
+ Shipping estimated $30
+ hazmat estimated $25
+ gas to drive 40min to drop off/pick up everything
----------------------
$334 total roughly
over 1k rounds = $16.7 per box
Am I missing anything in my calculations? Are there any cheaper bullet options I should consider or a different primer brand? I know everything is subjective as I've read through pages on pages of load listings and everyone has a slightly different variable (hs6, or a different bullet brand).
I do have a Bass Pro across the street from me and a few LGS, so depending on what they carry and if I can use it in Open I can cut some hazmat fees down.
Edited by ScottieShootz

Bulk ordering is the way to go. I load 9 MAJOR FOR for $140 per k at current prices but everything but bullets was bought 3-4 years ago so I'm probably closer to $13ish. I do group buys with buddies to split the haz and ship so I guess you could add a .25 cents to the per k price.

I scrounge brass when I get the chance so that's never figured into my cost.

I guess for 38 SC YOU COULD ADD .12-13 cents each or $120-130 per k more than 9MAJOR.

Somebody loading a thousand for $80 is highway robbery. I load the occasional batch for friends and ask for a box of primers per k. It only takes an hour or less to load them.

Why is it you don't want to reload?

I hate to crush your dreams, but I don't think you're going to be happy going down this road, Open is all about tweaking and tinkering.

For that exact reason - tweaking and tinkering is my enemy. I learned that in the car world with building a track car and my dirtbike, I can always tweak and tinker with it. I don't want to do that anymore with this hobby, I want to find a load that works correctly and shoot the heck out of it.

I don't want to reload myself as I'd rather budget my time/ money to purchase all the equipment plus the limited space in my home to my family. I have me time as it is for dryfire and working on the car, I'm not looking to add reloading to the mix. Maybe in a year or two when we move to a larger home, but for now, I just want to dryfire and shoot.

I understand the concept of time being more important than saving a few bucks. It is the reason why I pay someone to maintain my pool and do my landscaping.

That being said, why not just shoot Atlanta arms and be done with it. $21 a box versus $16.70 per box with the situation that you described amounts to a difference of $1032 if you shoot 12,000 rounds per year

That's pretty much the numbers game I'm playing in my head. Obviously, $1k isnt a drop in the hat, however, all my uspsa/3gun friends shoot limited and aren't set up to load for me in 9major. Which ultimately is why I figured Id shoot 38 at $21 since that is cheaper than $24 from AA for 9major and just order ammo as I need it. I had a member message me the other day and said to ask around about someone loading for you in 9major as they have a member at their range who loads for quite a few shooters.

In your price calculations, I see bullets, powder and primers, but NO BRASS?

Brass doesn't cost much for 9mm, but .38 super can be a serious component ...

He said in his post that he has brass, been collecting it.

He said in his post that he has brass, been collecting it.

i think he meant 9mm brass? There is no way to "collect" 38 SC brass without losing a hand.

Correct, I have been collecting 9 and 40 brass since I started about 5 years ago. I knew at some point I would reload for limited and wasnt sure if I'd touch Open or Prod so I pick up 9 as well. I dont pick up at matches, but I clean up after practice and other range days.

38sc would be factory ammo only for me.

I didn't even think about that. Pick up my brass and sell it for the 38. Still thinking it may be a better option than dealing with 9major and having someone else load for me. Can always change it over down the road if I wanted to.