Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Problem cycling STI match master

LilTMoney

I am running a 9mm sti match master with mbx extreme mags. I have been using different powders, bullets and loads for major and minor but still have issues with feeding and ejecting. Has anyone had issues with this as well? It doesn't happen all the time, but more then i would like.

There are so many reasons for "issues with feeding/ejecting" ...

Is this a new gun?

Does it feed with factory ammo?

Could it be just one of your mags causing all the problems?

How experienced are you with reloading 9mm?

What pound spring are you using?

What kind of "issues" are you having with feeding/ejecting?

Unfortunately, a problem like that takes some time to track down

the cause and solve it.

I purchased the gun new. I have probably fired 1k rounds so far. It does it with all the mags. Factory mags and the mbx extreme competition mags as well. I am running the factory recoil master which i am pretty sure has an 8lb spring. I have been reloading for about 20 years.380, 9mm, 40, and 45 mostly for pistol. The 9mm run through the glocks,m&p, and springfield i have with no issues at all feeding or ejecting. Ejecting i have alot of stove piping. With low powder loads i could understand but not with a 170 to 172 pf major load. Its not all the time but way more then i should. Feeding is hitting the feed ramp. I increased OAL to 1.170 to 1.175 to get closer to the feed ramp but still hits and jams some. Any insight would be great.

You said they are stove piping. Sounds like they are hitting the scope mount. Is the bottom of your mount dinged up? You will have to play with your ejector and make sure your extractor is tuned correctly.

Edited by echotango

What type of bullets on the shorter ammo. I had originally tried some at 1.135 which is about factory. I was using a berry hollow point which is really flat. I had terrible feed problems. It was hitting the bottom of the feed ramp. I am running mostly montana gold hollow point or round nose now.

Sounds like an extractor issue to me. One thing that can cause a round to not feed is the extractor being too tight. Might not have anything to do with the length of your ammo at all. If the extractor is too tight, it will not allow the rim of the casing to slide underneath it when chambering. That would cause it to stop on the feed ramp and maybe even make the round turn enough to hit the top of the chamber.

I see that you have a stock recoil master with an assumed 8 lb recoil spring. I've found that nosedive jams can be caused by too heavy a recoil spring. You might try a more conventional recoil spring setup with maybe even a 7 lb spring.

I also used to get an occasional stovepipe jam. Adjusting the extractor and/or ejector may eliminate this problem. I switched to a 90 degree CMore mount and those went away.

YMMV.

Thanks dons! I have a aftec extractor and a full length guide rod with a 7 and 9 lb spring on the way. Also i am switching my c more mount as well. Its hitting the bottom. Thanks again