Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

38SC in a 38S shell plate

redfisher

I did do a search and for the most part got an answer, just want to dig a little deeper. Currently load super on an RL1050, thinking about switching to SC, I know it takes a different shell plate, but does it really need to. I just loaded 10 rounds of SC on my Super set-up and it seemed to work just fine. Am I missing something?

Jeff

I think (not sure though, as I don't load SC), that the reason for the different shellplate is that the super shellplate holds the brass by the rim a bit....you may end up with some SC brass popping out of the shellplate on the sizing/priming/powder drop stations if the brass is not 100% engaged in the shellplate.

I load 38s. Some comp gets mixed in. Occasionally ill get a case mouth crushed as it comes out the back of the press and it is supercomp everytime.

Id buy a new shell plate.

Test 100 more and see what happens first. Maybe your plate is tighter than mine.

Edited by dansedgli

On a 650 Dillon recommends a ,223 shell plate, it is a tighter fit than the 9mm shell plate that is used for .38 Super.

Super Comp is semi rimless, the rim is smaller than ,38 Super, if the case is sloppy in the shell plate, it can pull through on sizing and it may not give you consistent loads.

For the cost of a shell plate, why take a chance?

I load for both (38 SC and 38S). I use the 223 shellplate to load 38SC because once in a while a 38S case will sneak into the bucket. Not that the load is a problem but my STI doesn't like 38S brass. The other issue I have is that if I use the 9mm shellplate for 38SC brass, the primers will not line up correctly.

A .223 shellplate weeds out the Super and odd 9mm.

But on a 1050 switching shell plates is a PIA. Just got some SC Brass today and loaded 25 rounds with no issues at all (other than I forgot the One Shot).

• 3 months later...

Well I was searching for something like this for some info. I will be getting a Dillon 650 here pretty soon and I load 9mm and 38 super Comp. I was thinking of getting the 650 with the 9mm conversion kit and just buy a 223 shell plate for it as well to load 38sc. Is that I will need if I'm using a case feeder or will I need the whole conversion kit for 38sc in order to use it with the case feeder?