Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9 mm PCC Load Info Needed

Philip Dedmon

I started with the same loads as I use for production but have made some slight modifications to shorten the OAL. Seems my PCC (Just Right Carbine) likes 1.125 versus 1.135 so I'll be running that load in all of my 9mm guns now.

• 1 month later...

I just acquired a PCC and am thinking about loads. I run 147gr FP over AA#5 for my Production loads. I am thinking about trying these first but figure I might benefit from a 115gr bullet moving faster to put more gas through the comp.

Does this make sense or is the comp not really just out there to look cool?

Hello: The comp for a 9mm PCC is to look cool. Does not seem to do anything. I have found the 121-125grain bullets work best in my PCC that I have owned. I am just using my 9mm single stack load of 4.1 grains of Tite Group, 121gr Montana Gold, Winchester small pistol primers and a OAL of 1.150". My not be the very best PCC load but it works for me. Thanks, Eric

Hello: The comp for a 9mm PCC is to look cool. Does not seem to do anything. I have found the 121-125grain bullets work best in my PCC that I have owned. I am just using my 9mm single stack load of 4.1 grains of Tite Group, 121gr Montana Gold, Winchester small pistol primers and a OAL of 1.150". My not be the very best PCC load but it works for me. Thanks, Eric

The comp does do more than you think. Slo mo video shows the ports working

The comp does do more than you think. Slo mo video shows the ports working

Video? Link?

Depending on the size of the comp, all you're doing is adding weight to the end of the barrel. So depending on factors like overall rifle weight, barrel profile, barrel length, you could see a difference. But it's not because the comp is making use of the gasses. It's like a .22 comp.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm running the same load of 3.5gr of 572 under Xtreme 165's loaded to 1.17" for both my VP9 and GMR-13. They average 785 through the VP9 but I haven't put them over the chrono with the carbine yet. The GMR is so soft shooting with these, it's like a toy.

Update:

I put some through the carbine this afternoon. I ran two 10 shot strings with the averages being 824 and 827 respectively. It just brings a smile to your face with every pull of the trigger, too much fun. I'm going to run it in a local speed steel match on Saturday, I can't wait...?

Edited by MJPLEO

My normal N320 production load with 147 Acme bullets (3.2gr, 1.125 OAL, 132pf) won't run reliably in my SIG MPX. Duration or volume of gas not enough. It will run with more powder but that's not soft. FWIW, the fast powders don't seem to pickup any velocity in the PCC.

Right now I'm at 4.1gr N340 with ACME 115 @ 1.065 (125 PF in pistol, 135 PF in PCC) which is pretty soft. I'm still playing with it, next step to see if that is enough gas to work a comp or just keep dropping powder until I'm about 130pf in the PCC.

Edited by trgt

So, I ran the loads I talked about earlier in this thread at yesterday's ISSA match. I ran the GMR-13 to a first in division and fourth overall (including all CF and RF guns). The GMR felt like I was shooting a rimfire and my times vs all the rimfire guys showed that this gun will run (and with a better driver, who knows...lol). I quickly found out that they were a little long for two of my four Glock mags, go figure...

I'm going to have to shorten these from 1.17" to 1.165 or maybe a bit more to work in 100% in the Glock mags. A little more reading here would have told me that before race day. I'll make up some more and post later next week.

My Production load of a 125 gr BBI at 1.10 with 3.8 grains of Solo 1000 gets me 152 pf out of my 16" CMMG build; same load runs at 132 pf out of my P226. At 1.145 oal the rounds would not chamber in the rifle. So far the load functions perfectly in the rifle. The load is so soft I dont see the point of tinkering with it any further. The rifle sounds and recoils like a .22. Can't wait to run it in a few matches next month.

I'm running Xtreme 115 in my PCC loads for steel challenge and let some guys try it at the match yesterday and they all said it was like shooting a 22. I will chrono this load the next time I'm at the range to see what it's running.

I am running the same load I run in my para 18.9, 147gr Eggleston Coated bullet over 2.8 gr of Titegroup seated to 1.15 OAL. Out of my pistol they run 880 fps and out of my PCC 910 fps. Initially they were to long for my PCC but I fixed that by reaming the throat longer. I can run out to 1.17 in with coated bullets on both guns now if I want.

My JP GMR-13 eats everything I have fed it so far. Loads from 1.120 to 1.160, RN, JHP, FP, it doesnt really seem to matter. The best shooting load so far from a recoil and accuracy load has been 115MG JHP's over 4.4gr of WST, or the 124MG JHP over 4.0gr WST. I have shot my BBI 147's over 3.6gr WST and they are just as accurate and the gun doesn't seem to move too much more. I even shot some factory Federal and Winchester 115's and the dot never leave a head box at 15 yards. And as far as the comp not doing anything... Mine does, and it looks tacticool.. :)

So, I finally got around to shortening my original 165gr rounds from 1.17 to 1.155 in order to fit the Glock mags that feed my GMR-13. Along with that, I reduced the amount of 572 a tenth to 3.4gr. Now the weird part; the rounds chrono at an average of 774fps out of my VP9 and only 790fps out of the GMR-13.

I expected a quite a bit more velocity from the carbine to say the least. It is absolutely like a .22lr, no recoil and extraordinarily quiet...way too much fun. I do notice that the ejected cases have quite a bit of soot/unburned powder when they leave the carbine. They do eject with authority landing several feet away at about 4 o'clock. I can only guess that the loss of velocity is due to the chamber being more loose in the carbine than the pistol. The cases ejected from the pistol are completely clean in comparison.

I'm having a lot of fun with the GMR, definately a keeper.