Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2016 Bluegrass Shotgun Championship - July 30th - @ BGSL, Lex, KY

So in reading the rule for ammunition, it seems that the velocity restrictions for slugs would rule out using Remington Slugger (1560fps) and Freedom Munitions slugs (1550fps). These are 2 very popular slugs which both shoot accurately and function for me. Any chance this rule could be relaxed to allow these slugs?

Joe Pitha

So in reading the rule for ammunition, it seems that the velocity restrictions for slugs would rule out using Remington Slugger (1560fps) and Freedom Munitions slugs (1550fps). These are 2 very popular slugs which both shoot accurately and function for me. Any chance this rule could be relaxed to allow these slugs?

Joe Pitha

Get back to you Wednesday Joe. Going to test on our Steel Tuesday. Thanks

Joe Pitha

We have evaluated and determined that we will stick with the posted ammo specs. We apologize if this is inconvenient. We need to preserve our large steel targets.

Joe Pitha

We have evaluated and determined that we will stick with the posted ammo specs. We apologize if this is inconvenient. We need to preserve our large steel targets.

So will this be done by chronograph or what is posted on the box of ammo (factory specs)?

Joe Pitha

So will this be done by chronograph or what is posted on the box of ammo (factory specs)?

In looking at the various slug makers there are many slugs that are over the FPS limits per the rules for this shoot. If you could send out an email to all competitors so no one is surprised by this I know it would be appreciated. Not everyone may read the rules and follow this forum. Thanks.

Joe Pitha

Joe Pitha

In looking at the various slug makers there are many slugs that are over the FPS limits per the rules for this shoot. If you could send out an email to all competitors so no one is surprised by this I know it would be appreciated. Not everyone may read the rules and follow this forum. Thanks.

Joe Pitha

Trying not to get to far into the weeds. I would hope everyone will have their boxes available for factory specs (and their ammo match the box). When it comes down to it, we will depend on everyone to do the right thing. I think most of the shooters I have been squadded with over the years will follow the rules. If the RO sees some welts in the steel we will probably take a look at the ammo and boxes.

We might be able to find some thicker steel targets, but we are 4 weeks out and we wanted everyone to have enough time to order slugs if needed.

Have you ever had issues with the "fallen clay doesnt count as a hit" rule?

Im also curious how the "if a target is not set, shoot over it" plays into this.

Good question.

I have seen rubber bands used effectively to keep clays on the stands.

Joe

• 2 weeks later...

Some suggestions/notes for the match:

-Please read the rules posted in post below NOW...especially ammo specs

-Bring an ECI (empty chamber indicator) or "Chamber Flag"

-a Glove/s, easy to get on/off (we have new steel targets, some still have sharp edges).

-Bring a cooler

-Snacks (we will have a food vendor)

-Sunscreen

-Sweat towels

-portable tent for your crew, if you have one.

-bug spray

-change of clothes/socks? Some of you... underwear :)

Edited by roxymajor

• 2 weeks later...

Will the stages be open at all on Friday?

We should have the stages completed by 3pm Friday for your viewing pleasure. If you come Friday afternoon, please check out 10,9, 8, 7, 6, 5 in that order. We will be finishing 1-4 on Friday.

Gamaliel is providing shipping to the match for the Bluegrass Shotgun Championship. All you have to do is order online and choose “Pick Up at Bluegrass Shotgun Championship” when you are checking out. They will need all pre-orders in by next Wednesday, July 27th.

You can order online at http://www.gamaliel.com/, and pick it up the evening before or the in morning at the match.
Also, make sure you thank them for helping out with the match this year. They contacted me and asked what they could do to help within a few days of the match announcement.