Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2016 Blue Ridge Mountain 3-Gun Championship presented by Doublestar -

Registration for the 2016 Blue Ridge Mountain 3-Gun Championship presented by Doublestar is opening on Saturday morning, January 30th. The match is held over the natural terrain of Rockcastle Shooting Center in Park City, KY. For those new to the BRM3G, the match is a little more physically demanding with a higher round count than most 3-gun matches. See BRM3G.COM for updates such as stages and round count when they become available.

Our auction and raffle to benefit the Task Force Dagger Foundation will be held again this year. Only 250 raffle tickets are going to be available at $20 each on a first come first served basis at the match.

You can register for the match at: Register for the Doublestar Blue Ridge Mountain 3-Gun Championship. Registration will be open for everyone, and payment is required to register. Once you are ‘approved’ into the match, an email will be sent which will allow you to self-squad. Staff members and sponsored shooters must contact me directly by email.

We may have some openings on our RO staff, so if you are interested send me an email with a brief list of your RO experience.

If you have any questions, email me at afh3g@yahoo.com. I do not respond to PMs on this forum.

Take care, and we'll see you in October!

Andy

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

I am going to Rockcastle to design stages in May. I already have some concepts, and am planning on inserting a little more close, fast sections within some stages. Any thoughts on things you want to see in a stage this year?

Andy

Unconventional rifle positions- at intermediate distances. (75-200 yards)

Off hand, kneeling unsupported, rollover prone, broke-back mountain prone, support side rifle shooting, standing with rifle rolled left/right.

And climbing, jumping, running, crawling. Edit to add- some IN YOUR FACE hosing too.

Remember that stage about 7 or 8 years ago where we shot underneath the S10 truck, then had to shoot through that really tight left and right hand port in the C shaped box? That was a good barricade.

Edited by Bryan 45

I've thought about bringing that type of barricade back. There was a lot of hot brass landing on folks when we used it, along with a few burns. Perhaps standing or kneeling would decrease the problem.

I really enjoyed the field of slugs with the boxes from 2014 up behind the sporting clay range.

I'll think of more, but I just remember that one b/c the whole time thinking how fun that was....and oh crap, I really do have to have an actual plan...and a contingency... and count too...

Mix in a little pistol option on the long gongs and weapons transition options with that and hmmmm.

And what about the area past the saber range? I think it was stage 4 in 2011 that Scott ran with the great big wall/barricade? I recall that one being pretty dang fun too. If that area is still a viable option, I would think there's quite a few options back there. It had a mix of hose on the way and technical. Good way to work the throttle

Edited by New4John

How about a zip line stage? With all the sloped hills it might be pretty easy. Start with harness on, shoot rifle/SG from ground and quick connect yourself to cable a few feet off the ground and finish with pistol. Slope could be slight so it is not out of control fast.

New4John - the areas past the Sabre range can't be accessed well enough to allow their use, especially if there is any rain. There are couple of great areas for stages there however. I have the end of the stage behind the sporting clays worked out and have looking for ideas for the pistol and shotgun portions. A big open area is sometimes harder to work with than the woods.

238shooter - I've thought about a zip line, but the logistics would be extremely difficult to pull off. Even without shooting during the descent, the amount of time it would take to insure everyone is hooked in properly would be prohibitive; especially considering we would probably have to use full harnesses instead of just using seats. The tower at MGM is a great setup to allow shooting while descending, but pretty complicated to setup and run during a match. I keep hoping to bring back the rifle mover, but it takes half a day to set up that one target!

Thanks for the suggestions and please keep them coming!

Andy

I agree on jumping running climbing and crawling

What about shooting? At difficult targets, from compromised positions? You ok with this too?

:)[/quote

Yeah Bryan. Of course. Paint all the targets with a fresh coat of grey primer.

• 3 months later...

Looking forward to my 8th? How many years has it been at Rockcastle? Let's see- 8 years, average 240 shooters per year, at average of 200 seconds per shooter= 32,000 seconds on the clock running shooters.

Or 2 days shooting, 3 days working per year x 8 years= 40 days at Blue Ridge Mountain 3 gun.

Or, average number of rounds fired per stage per shooter= 70 x number of stages I've worked (8) x number of shooters per year (240)= 134,400 rounds down range.

I don't want to figure the miles. It would be depressing.

Can't make it this year but, this is in my top 2 for next year. I've shot and been match director for a bunch of local matches. I hope to hit my first major next year. The natural terrain stages are a major draw for me and only 8 hours away...

...and falls right around my birthday.

Edited by PatriotMRD

• 2 weeks later...

While this year’s BRM3G stages are going to be reviewed a couple more times, right now it looks like the average shooter will shoot for just over 25 minutes during the match (168 seconds/stage). I plan to have them posted on BRM3G.com by the end of next week, along with round counts and descriptions.

I enjoyed working with the staff and lots of old friends at the Firearms Industry Team Challenge last week, and will see several of you again at Blue Ridge. We’ve had a couple of openings develop in the RO staff, so those who asked about working with us, please shoot me an email.

More info will be posted as it becomes available.

Andy