Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Primer tube filler for about $10

I went to Radio Shack and bought to pager motors that vibrate and glued them into a 2 aa battery box. I cut a hole in the box for the on/off switch Then glued the primer tray from Hornady to the back side. The Lee tray should work as well. I have approx. 10 dollars less the tray in the setup. Loads primer sin about 10 seconds.

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I happen to have two spare trays (one large and one small) for my Lee Auto Prime so I resolved to build a primer tube filler. I decided to start with the larger primer size. I pulled the tip from the Hornady pickup tube and found a drill bit that was a pretty good fit for the inside diameter of the tube. I noticed quite a gap between the tube and the body of the primer tray so I built up the space with some flat stock before gluing it together with Gorilla Glue.

I made a cover for the open space between the round tray and the tube using clear plastic cut from a cup lid. I temporarily taped it to the clear tray cover.

I have two problems with the "prototype". First, I have a few primers that flip over as they drop into the tube. This is a deal killer for me. I need to know that the primers are correctly aligned in the tube. I am thinking of shaving down the "walls" of the "channel" between the tray and the tube, then taping or gluing a clear plastic shield across the top. If there is not enough clearance the primers can't flip over. Any ideas on this?

Second problem is that I noticed that the primers seem to stacking up near the top of the tube. My guess is that the primers are catching on the little "shoulder" or "lip" on the inside of the tube (where the pickup tip rests). If I fix the first problem the second may resolve since the primers are slightly beveled on the bottom side. I think, though that before I try this again I will either try to grind off the edge of the shoulder or I will cut the tube below the shoulder.

I really want this to work. All input appreciated.

I fixed both these problems by first using a razor blade or box knife to trim the bit of a lip around the hole then hot gluing a piece of plastic from clear packaging material. As to teh primers getting caught up on the hole as the drop I used some 400 or 600 grit sandpaper rolled up to open the hole up a bit and keep it smooth. Both minor issues I had too and easy fixes for both.

I have two problems with the "prototype". First, I have a few primers that flip over as they drop into the tube. This is a deal killer for me. I need to know that the primers are correctly aligned in the tube. I am thinking of shaving down the "walls" of the "channel" between the tray and the tube, then taping or gluing a clear plastic shield across the top. If there is not enough clearance the primers can't flip over. Any ideas on this?

Second problem is that I noticed that the primers seem to stacking up near the top of the tube. My guess is that the primers are catching on the little "shoulder" or "lip" on the inside of the tube (where the pickup tip rests). If I fix the first problem the second may resolve since the primers are slightly beveled on the bottom side. I think, though that before I try this again I will either try to grind off the edge of the shoulder or I will cut the tube below the shoulder.

I fixed both these problems by first using a razor blade or box knife to trim the bit of a lip around the hole then hot gluing a piece of plastic from clear packaging material. As to teh primers getting caught up on the hole as the drop I used some 400 or 600 grit sandpaper rolled up to open the hole up a bit and keep it smooth. Both minor issues I had too and easy fixes for both.

Thanks; I'll try your suggestions.

• 2 years later...

There appears to be a updated vibra prime by FA and they are on Amazon: Frankford Arsenal vibra prime Automatic primer tube is filler. What it listed as,since the parts are no longer available.

• 2 years later...

Can usually find the older Lee stuff on Ebay. I tried the new Lee parts, but didn't spend a lot of time on it. The new has a double lift incorporated to better avoid a primer chain fire. That's what causes trouble for making the primer filler now

• 2 weeks later...
On Saturday, January 23, 2010 at 8:07 PM, gmantwo said:

How to make a primer tube filler for $10 or so

Here’s the list of parts needed

1-Primer tube, large or small, whichever you need, or both

2-The Prime tray from Lee. Small primer part is PT1005A, large is PT1005B. They’re $3 each from Lee. You’ll also need the corresponding cover, part PT1004. It’s $2.50 and fits either size.

3-Small bottle of polyurethane glue

4-Drill bits that will barely slip into the appropriate prime tube, large or small.

5-A small square of clear, fairly stiff plastic.

Slip the drill bit into the hole in the prime tray that fits the tube you’re working on. Let it stick up an inch or so above the top. Slip the primer tube up onto the drill bit from the bottom, using the end away from the pin that holds the primers in. Slide it all the way up against the bottom of the tray. Put a small amount of poly glue on the tube near the bottom of the black plastic, stay away from the top where the tube and tray come together as poly glue expands a lot. Roll the tube to distribute the glue. Set this aside for a day to dry.

Using pliers, pull the drill bit free. Now put the cover on the tray and lay your square of plastic on top above the hole/tube area. Using a fine line sharpie, draw a cut line on the plastic . What you’re looking to do is cover the “chute”, or areas NOT covered by the tray cover, because the primers will jump out or turn over if this isn’t covered. It will look something like this: post-14188-126429473788_thumb.jpg when you get it cut out. Crease it along the sides of the “chute”, somewhere near where I drew the dotted lines. Use clear tape to tape it to the sides. Be sure to cover the whole area, making sure to go into the small area where the drop hole is in the tray, hence the little tab. If your primers try to flip over as they go down the tube, bend this little tab down a bit. If you bend it too much and they won't go in, bend it back up a little. The filler in these pics doesn’t work as well as my other one because I didn’t completely cover the “chute”, as you can see. Do what I say, not what I did, lol.

What I do is pour my primers into a plastic dish, then pour them into the primer tray(the federal box is too big to put them directly into the Lee tray). Shake the tray to turn the primers over, then put on the cover. If your vibratory case cleaner is handy and running, touch the tip of the primer tube to it and roll the tray back and forth slowly to feed the primers to the “chute”. I’ve found that if I hold the tube at about a 45 degree angle the primers feed great, and never hang up or turn over.(see the pic) Since I’m loading inside I now use a small battery powered massager, holding it to the bottom of the primer tray. Fills a tube in 10-15 seconds. Not counting the day for the glue to dry, takes about 20 minutes to make.

post-14188-126429478673_thumb.jpgpost-14188-126429482821_thumb.jpgpost-14188-126429484489_thumb.jpgpost-14188-12642948095_thumb.jpg

+1