Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Primer tube filler for about $10

How to make a primer tube filler for $10 or so

Here’s the list of parts needed

1-Primer tube, large or small, whichever you need, or both

2-The Prime tray from Lee. Small primer part is PT1005A, large is PT1005B. They’re $3 each from Lee. You’ll also need the corresponding cover, part PT1004. It’s $2.50 and fits either size.

3-Small bottle of polyurethane glue

4-Drill bits that will barely slip into the appropriate prime tube, large or small.

5-A small square of clear, fairly stiff plastic.

Slip the drill bit into the hole in the prime tray that fits the tube you’re working on. Let it stick up an inch or so above the top. Slip the primer tube up onto the drill bit from the bottom, using the end away from the pin that holds the primers in. Slide it all the way up against the bottom of the tray. Put a small amount of poly glue on the tube near the bottom of the black plastic, stay away from the top where the tube and tray come together as poly glue expands a lot. Roll the tube to distribute the glue. Set this aside for a day to dry.

Using pliers, pull the drill bit free. Now put the cover on the tray and lay your square of plastic on top above the hole/tube area. Using a fine line sharpie, draw a cut line on the plastic . What you’re looking to do is cover the “chute”, or areas NOT covered by the tray cover, because the primers will jump out or turn over if this isn’t covered. It will look something like this: post-14188-126429473788_thumb.jpg when you get it cut out. Crease it along the sides of the “chute”, somewhere near where I drew the dotted lines. Use clear tape to tape it to the sides. Be sure to cover the whole area, making sure to go into the small area where the drop hole is in the tray, hence the little tab. If your primers try to flip over as they go down the tube, bend this little tab down a bit. If you bend it too much and they won't go in, bend it back up a little. The filler in these pics doesn’t work as well as my other one because I didn’t completely cover the “chute”, as you can see. Do what I say, not what I did, lol.

What I do is pour my primers into a plastic dish, then pour them into the primer tray(the federal box is too big to put them directly into the Lee tray). Shake the tray to turn the primers over, then put on the cover. If your vibratory case cleaner is handy and running, touch the tip of the primer tube to it and roll the tray back and forth slowly to feed the primers to the “chute”. I’ve found that if I hold the tube at about a 45 degree angle the primers feed great, and never hang up or turn over.(see the pic) Since I’m loading inside I now use a small battery powered massager, holding it to the bottom of the primer tray. Fills a tube in 10-15 seconds. Not counting the day for the glue to dry, takes about 20 minutes to make.

post-14188-126429478673_thumb.jpgpost-14188-126429482821_thumb.jpgpost-14188-126429484489_thumb.jpgpost-14188-12642948095_thumb.jpg

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thats a great idea...... Especaily for those of us who cant afford the 250.00 :surprise: dillon primer filler.

How to make a primer tube filler for $10 or so

Here’s the list of parts needed

1-Primer tube, large or small, whichever you need, or both

2-The Prime tray from Lee. Small primer part is PT1005A, large is PT1005B. They’re $3 each from Lee. You’ll also need the corresponding cover, part PT1004. It’s $2.50 and fits either size.

3-Small bottle of polyurethane glue

4-Drill bits that will barely slip into the appropriate prime tube, large or small.

5-A small square of clear, fairly stiff plastic.

Slip the drill bit into the hole in the prime tray that fits the tube you’re working on. Let it stick up an inch or so above the top. Slip the primer tube up onto the drill bit from the bottom, using the end away from the pin that holds the primers in. Slide it all the way up against the bottom of the tray. Put a small amount of poly glue on the tube near the bottom of the black plastic, stay away from the top where the tube and tray come together as poly glue expands a lot. Roll the tube to distribute the glue. Set this aside for a day to dry.

Using pliers, pull the drill bit free. Now put the cover on the tray and lay your square of plastic on top above the hole/tube area. Using a fine line sharpie, draw a cut line on the plastic . What you’re looking to do is cover the “chute”, or areas NOT covered by the tray cover, because the primers will jump out or turn over if this isn’t covered. It will look something like this: post-14188-126429473788_thumb.jpg when you get it cut out. Crease it along the sides of the “chute”, somewhere near where I drew the dotted lines. Use clear tape to tape it to the sides. Be sure to cover the whole area, making sure to go into the small area where the drop hole is in the tray, hence the little tab. If your primers try to flip over as they go down the tube, bend this little tab down a bit. If you bend it too much and they won't go in, bend it back up a little. The filler in these pics doesn’t work as well as my other one because I didn’t completely cover the “chute”, as you can see. Do what I say, not what I did, lol.

What I do is pour my primers into a plastic dish, then pour them into the primer tray(the federal box is too big to put them directly into the Lee tray). Shake the tray to turn the primers over, then put on the cover. If your vibratory case cleaner is handy and running, touch the tip of the primer tube to it and roll the tray back and forth slowly to feed the primers to the “chute”. I’ve found that if I hold the tube at about a 45 degree angle the primers feed great, and never hang up or turn over.(see the pic) Since I’m loading inside I now use a small battery powered massager, holding it to the bottom of the primer tray. Fills a tube in 10-15 seconds. Not counting the day for the glue to dry, takes about 20 minutes to make.

Took all of 7 mins to get it made and just had to wait on the glue to dry (I used 5min epoxy). I CAN'T BELIEVE IT!!! It works. Going to have to figure out a small vibrater setup though. I used the tumbler and worked great I just don't have it out normally when I'm reloading(counter top space) I'm thinking about maybe using a sanding jutterbug and see what that does.

Thanks

Scott

this is great! Im sure it should work the same with hornady tubes. I was grumbling to myself today saying I could load more in shorter time with more tubes that could be easily loaded without the $250 Dillon.

I tell people this thing is awesome, but until you see it or try it you don't believe it can work so good!

I tried the toothbrush thing, not enough action. My electric shaver was the same, lol. Unfortunately they only sell these things I use around the holidays where I live. I'm sure in the bigger malls would have several places to pick one up. Maybe Target, but haven't looked there. Wal-mart sells them here, but only around Christmas. A bath and body store might.

Just looked on ebay, here's what I use, for $2.99 plus shipping

http://cgi.ebay.com/Mini-Handheld-Vibrating-massage-Full-Body-Massager_W0QQitemZ170426396660QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item27ae346ff4

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hmmm, very interesting idea.

I am going to try making one of these up this weekend.

I am not a fan of filling primer tubes at all. However, I just can't bring myself to drop the dough on the dillon filler.

I will post my results when I am done.

Thanks for the time and effort you put in!

Steve

• 3 months later...

Another trick is to mount a bullet girls toy to the bottom of the tray. One with the 3 settings.

They usually run about 5 bucks, but the low setting works well for flipping primers, then slap a lid on it and turn it on high.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...