Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2010 Handgun Nats in Vegas!

lvipscshooter

Does anybody know what days we're actually shooting? Application says 8 thru 17th. Surely we're not shooting all those days and I need to minimize my time away from work (my sponsor). I need to be there the day before the match starts and leave immediately when it's over.

Open/Limited 10 Schedule:

Friday -- Oct. 8 from 3-6pm -- Registration at match hotel

Saturday -- Oct. 9 thru Tuesday Oct. 12 -- Competition

Tuesday -- Oct. 12 -- awards

Limited/Production/Revolver Schedule:

Wednesday -- Oct. 13 from 3-6pm -- Registration at match hotel[TBD]

Thursday -- Oct. 14 Thru Saturday, Oct. 16 -- Competition

Saturday -- Oct. 16 -- Awards

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Blargh.

I just looked at the waiting list date more closely. It's June 27th, the same day that the Area 1 Championship ends. Considering the number of people at Area 1 who will be traveling/unable to access a computer, that's a lot of people that will have to depend on others to get them on to the waiting list.

Is it worth trying to contact someone to see if they could possibly push the waiting list date to something like the 28th of June instead?

Area 1 Director is aware. I'll try Sedro to look at the date. If not we'll have some computers available for signup there. Awards are at 4:00 PM local and the waitlist goes live at 8:00 PM Local so hopefully most folks won't have to wait around too long.

• 3 months later...

Limited/Production/Revolver Schedule:

Wednesday -- Oct. 13 from 3-6pm -- Registration at match hotel[TBD]

Thursday -- Oct. 14 Thru Saturday, Oct. 16 -- Competition

Saturday -- Oct. 16 -- Awards

Does anybody know how many stages for Thursday, Friday and Saturday for Limited??

Patience Stan, patience.

They got their hands full with the multi gun match right around the corner.

You'll know how many stages per day when they figure out the total number of stages they will have.

Patience Stan, patience.

They got their hands full with the multi gun match right around the corner.

You'll know how many stages per day when they figure out the total number of stages they will have.

Thank you, Hiro

1st time shooting National, need to learned tips from you guys

Anyone know about squadding requests?

Got a packet but had no info on squadding.

i also got my packet, and found it to be pretty lame. all of that info could have been easily (and inexpensively) emailed or posted on the website.

+1

Marty

A-7424

Anyone know about squadding requests?

Got a packet but had no info on squadding.

i also got my packet, and found it to be pretty lame. all of that info could have been easily (and inexpensively) emailed or posted on the website.

+1

Marty

A-7424

Squadding is not done until about a week prior to the match to allow everyone to get their request in and/or drop out of the match, etc. That prevents us from having to make an UNGODLY amount of changes over and over again. Also, we do not routinely post them for viewing prior to the match. If we do, it is as a courtesy and is not something you should expect to happen every single year. Some years it is just not feasible as the match is constantly changing, right up until the first shot is fired.

Just out of curiosity, what more would you have included in the "pretty lame" confirmation packet that you did not get?

Thanks,

Kim Williams

USPSA

Squadding is not done until about a week prior to the match to allow everyone to get their request in and/or drop out of the match, etc. That prevents us from having to make an UNGODLY amount of changes over and over again. Also, we do not routinely post them for viewing prior to the match. If we do, it is as a courtesy and is not something you should expect to happen every single year. Some years it is just not feasible as the match is constantly changing, right up until the first shot is fired.

Just out of curiosity, what more would you have included in the "pretty lame" confirmation packet that you did not get?

Thanks,

Kim Williams

USPSA

A few words on the mailing: not everybody can, or will, check the web page nor do all the members have email, or check it regularly, or can open (or even accept) attachments. Sometimes big-ass address lists get tagged as spam by ISP's, so there's no guarantee that it would get through anyway. True, most of the material could probably be presented in electronic form, but then somebody would complain about having to print something they wanted to have a hard copy of.

The hard copy that is mailed is the only way for USPSA to ensure that everyone gets the same information, in their hands. There is a lot of information in there that competitors new to the nationals may find interesting and helpful.

And, a few words on the squadding: every year it's the same thing--people posting on here about not seeing squad lists yet. As Kim mentioned, there are still people getting into the match from the wait list, and the folks doing the squadding are currently working the multigun, so just chill out and wait. We usually do a pretty good job of getting everybody that wants to shoot together together, and will handle squad changes up to but not including registration. The important thing is to have put your squad mates on your entry form, and for them to have done the same. If that doesn't happen, it causes problems. And, don't even go there with the self squadding. It works for a lot of matches, but doesn't work for Nationals for several reasons, many of which have been detailed on this forum. (Search for it.)

So, until the multigun is over, we won't even be looking at the squadding for the handgun. After that, we'll get on it, and hopefully post it on the Nationals web page.

Troy

Thanks,

Kim Williams

USPSA

Pictures of whatever is under Troy's Kilt.

Got a question for all of you guys and girls who have done this before. This will be my first Nationals and i was curious about something. Will the range have or make available a "practice area" where some one[like me] who is flying in and that gets there a day or so "early" can go to the range and shoot? My thinking here is it would be nice to be able to have a small practice session a day before the actual shooting takes place. If this is possible will the club have targets/stands set up for this or do you have to supply your own? Any other tid-bits of information will also be appreciated :D

In addition, last year American Shooters generously gave a coupon to every competitor for a free range time; definitely helpful for function and sight testing. Not sure though if they'll have that this year.

maybe lame is in the eye of the beholder...but here's what was in my oversized envelope which cost $1.05 to send (even putting the same 4 pieces of paper in a regular business envelope would have cut the cost of mailing it by >50%):

-the official welcome page. this contained some useful info regarding important dates and times, but also includes this: "hotel and area attractions: please see the enclosed brochure". no brochure was included.

-a basic map of the area

-souvenir pre-order page

-a 10% discount coupon for a car rental from dollar rent-a-car.

i got the package ~5 weeks before the event. i'm sure nearly everyone already had already made hotel & rental car reservations by the time they got it. it's dated july 20th...so it's about 6 weeks late...and 4-5 weeks later than the new, delayed date we were given.

regarding electronic vs. regular mail: in 2010, there is little reason to be using regular mail unless you absolutely have to...b/c the cost savings are big. how do you know if you have to? ask your customers. just about every other business i deal with tries to get me to switch to electronic mailing over regular mail. of the 20,000 uspsa members, i'd wager that a large majority would choose electronic over paper mailings if asked. if you could produce a suitable electronic version of Front Sight, i'd even sign up for that over the paper version.

A few words on the mailing: not everybody can, or will, check the web page nor do all the members have email, or check it regularly, or can open (or even accept) attachments. Sometimes big-ass address lists get tagged as spam by ISP's, so there's no guarantee that it would get through anyway.

if you're familiar with the united states postal service you probably know that there's no guarantee that the paper version will go through either!

Edited by driver8M3

I am super excited for nationals this year. It'll be both my first big match and my first nationals. Also I think I'm luckier than many in that I am a vegas local and DSRPC where nationals is being held is the range where I practice and am a member of :cheers: The range is one of the biggest civilian ranges I've been to. I've never found the dust to be a problem, but then again I shoot a glock in production so it's pretty eco friendly lol. I'm glad that Natl's will be in Oct as during the summer it is really really hot at the range 105+. The entire range is loose rock and dust so I would recommend cleats or merrel (light hiking/trail running) type shoes for anyone who has never been here before. Anyhow I look forward to seeing all of you there, and feel free to contact me if you have any questions about the area, or need suggestions for non shooting activities for any friends/family that may be coming with you.

CAZ