Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Too Much Caffeine

Hungry Beagle

Night before a big match, I was really, really tired, but couldn't fall asleep. I tossed and turned until around 5am, when I think I finally drifted off. I got woken up at 6am by my buddies for breakfast so we could be on the range for 7am. To try and wake myself up, I sucked back a couple Red Bull in the car. No effect. A half hour later, I reached into the glove box for the caffeine pills I keep in case of late night drives and popped one of those. After 15 minutes, feeling absolute no effects from either of the previous two, I took another caffeine pill (against the instructions on the bottle). 10 minutes later, everything kicked in. I was too wired to do anything effectively.

In retrospect, that was pretty dumb, and if I was in poorer physical condition, could have been potentially damaging.

I don't drink Red Bull before shooting anymore, and the caffeine pills stay in the car.

• 3 months later...

Back when I was competing, we always had our matches in the evenings (indoor range). My lowest point in my daily bio-rhythm is that dreaded 5pm-8pm slot--the very time of the matches--so I'd prop myself up with a bit of coffee at the front end of that time slot. But I had to experiment a little with just HOW MUCH coffee to guzzle before a match: a little bit was just the ticket. But a lot made me something like this ---> :goof: Too wired to shoot straight--literally.

Paul all I need to do is hear the buzzer then I'm too wired to shoot! A couple drinks before bed time and out like a lite. I shot your old Competitor now made over at SCC, best major match ever only 20 negative points and actually shot my average % for once. Those darn forward falling poppers got me, call the shot hear the ding and go on to find it still standing later. :cheers:

I think with only one hour of sleep your match performance was probably doomed either way that day. I know mine would have been. I try to go for my normal daily amount of caffeine, not too much (shakes), not too little (possible lethargy or headaches). Make sure to eat too, and include some protein (too many carbs and then you get that insulin crash). Sometimes I'll pop a Zip-Fizz in my water bottle in the afternoon.

I think with only one hour of sleep your match performance was probably doomed either way that day. I know mine would have been. I try to go for my normal daily amount of caffeine, not too much (shakes), not too little (possible lethargy or headaches). Make sure to eat too, and include some protein (too many carbs and then you get that insulin crash). Sometimes I'll pop a Zip-Fizz in my water bottle in the afternoon.

Agree, with only 1 hour of sleep, it would've been hard to put in a good match performance. My match performance probably would've sucked as well. Not exceeding one's normal caffeine intake also makes good sense. I try not to drink too much caffeine before a match because I'll get the shakes (which does nothing to help my already spotty shooting :roflol:). I'll shoot club matches after working graveyard shifts and the occasional 16 hour double shift; I always make stupid mental errors which will kill me in the match, even after getting properly caffinated beforehand.

I think knowing how you handle caffeine is key - I know people who can drink a large black coffee right before bed and sleep like babies. Me, I need a little on match morning to get me started, but no more after about 7AM.

I do know some folks who've dabbled in generous doses of caffeine to simulate stressed shooting, but that's another story...

I try to remember to bring a sugar-free energy drink with me to the match, and sip it through out. I like a little buzz going on, and I operate on a higher caffeine level than most people. One before, then maintain...

Jeff

All the posts about sipping often are right. The half-life of caffeine is a joke - like one hour. Not so good for your teeth - carbonic acid - but some 1-liter bottles of a diet soda that you don't mind drinking warm, that's one way.

A steady intake of carbonated and sugary soda is overall terrible for your teeth, LES, blood glucose, liver.. kind of like buying raffle tickets daily and the grand prize is Diabetes.

Caffeine builds tolerance quickly to the stimulatory effects - you need more and more - but builds tolerance slowly to jitters and to withdrawal headaches, withdrawal somnolence - you feel worse & worse. If proposed as a new drug today, it would be rejected by the FDA.

All the posts about sipping often are right. The half-life of caffeine is a joke - like one hour. Not so good for your teeth - carbonic acid - but some 1-liter bottles of a diet soda that you don't mind drinking warm, that's one way.

A steady intake of carbonated and sugary soda is overall terrible for your teeth, LES, blood glucose, liver.. kind of like buying raffle tickets daily and the grand prize is Diabetes.

Caffeine builds tolerance quickly to the stimulatory effects - you need more and more - but builds tolerance slowly to jitters and to withdrawal headaches, withdrawal somnolence - you feel worse & worse. If proposed as a new drug today, it would be rejected by the FDA.

So would guns... LOL

Everything is deadly with the wrong application, or in the wrong quantity... (Read up on water intoxication)

I'm not slamming you, it's an excellent post. Our society is highly addicted to both sugar (carbs in general), and caffeine! And we have epidemic diabetes, and heart disease, and blood pressure to show for it!

Yes... too much sugar causes heart disease... do your reading. High blood sugar, results in production of fat, which results in production of LDLs, which results in atherosclerosis.... Heart Disease!

Enjoy!

Jeff

PS... Where's my sugar free Red Bull???

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I like about 3 liters of redbull before and during a match, but I just can't afford the $16 it costs. I have had excellent results with 5 hour energy and a few shots of espresso. I tend to get the shakes with too much caffiene but as long as the steel is falling and the no shoots don't have holes in them I can deal with them.

i dont get it. RedBull has the least caffiene and worst taste per unit of fluid. they make smaller cans. they are the most expensive...i just dont see anything good about red bull when you have so many other options

• 3 weeks later...

i dont get it. RedBull has the least caffiene and worst taste per unit of fluid. they make smaller cans. they are the most expensive...i just dont see anything good about red bull when you have so many other options

It's not the caffeine in the energy drinks. Mountain Dew has more caffeine than coffee or any of the energy drinks. They have B vitamins, Taurine, and guanine among other things for the stimulating effect. The B vitamins take the edge off and keep you from getting jittery. The diet versions also have less of an edge because no sugar rush. Red Bull and 5 Hr Energy both create a pretty smooth consistent effect.

• 1 month later...

Idon'tseetheproblemIdrinkafewcupsofcoffeeeverydayandhardlyfeeltheeffectswhenIshootinfactIhaveapotbrewingrightnowand I'llhaveacoupleofcupsonthewayintoworki'llhaveacouplemorewhenIgethomebeforeIgotobedandtakeabigthrermoswithmeonthewaytotherangetomorrow

I suspect that we all have a ritual that we all go through on the way to the range.

Mine involves getting a Tim Hortons large double double and a Breakfast sandwich for the trip.

(my fellow Canadians can explian it to you :surprise: )

But I do agree with the consensus on this string...a little goes along way!

Ciao.