Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

considering getting a dog

A standard poodle is big (they can run 65-70 pounds) smart, and unless you get a really shy, back-of-the-pack one, protective.

I grew up with labs, and one thing I can tell you: there are some who will be protective, and some who will slobber all over any intruder, simply looking for the treats.

Whatever you get, watch a season's worth of Cesar Milan, Dog Whisperer, to learn how to lead a pack.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

steel1212 Posted Today, 12:09 PM Bullies are great family dog but don't expect much from them Only concerns I have with them is they WILL have A LOT of health issues. FYI look at the University of Georgia's mascots average life span. Granted that is the most inbred line of dog I have seen next to the medical beagle!!

Yeah a bullie will protect the couch that they take their nap on and thats about it. As far as heath problems you have to get one from a very good breeder to reduce the risk of problems, which means they cost alot of $$$

A standard poodle is big (they can run 65-70 pounds) smart, and unless you get a really shy, back-of-the-pack one, protective.

I grew up with labs, and one thing I can tell you: there are some who will be protective, and some who will slobber all over any intruder, simply looking for the treats.

Whatever you get, watch a season's worth of Cesar Milan, Dog Whisperer, to learn how to lead a pack.

I like standard poodles but they just don't have the fear factor lol. They are very smart though.

You would be suprized at how good some mutts are. Go by your local shelter and see what they have. If they don't have one that you like and you are leaning toward a certain breed try looking them up online and look for recue shelters for that breed. Some really great dogs out there that people have had to give up.

Scott

You would be suprized at how good some mutts are. Go by your local shelter and see what they have. If they don't have one that you like and you are leaning toward a certain breed try looking them up online and look for recue shelters for that breed. Some really great dogs out there that people have had to give up.

Scott

:cheers:

VERY VERY GOOD INFO....man I need to kick myself sometimes!!!

If you don't have to have a certain breed by all means hit up the shelters. With the Economy the way it is they are overfilled and a lot of animals are being euthanized because of it. If you have to have a certain breed google the breed and rescues.

I will throw my lot in and say get a Bull or English Mastiff :-D

They don't get much more loyal than that and they are very protective of "family" but will also slobber and lick you to death if you are not careful.

They don't bark much, but when they do bark, it is usually for good reason. That being said, they can and will eat you out of house and home....lol

No matter what dog you choose in the end, take it to a reputable obedience training person early on and stick with it! With a "guard dog" I would also stress that you should be involved in that training as both you and the dog need to know what to do and how to handle things as well as yours and the dogs place in the family pack.

Thanks for all the responses, a lot of really good info. We've started watching Dogs 101 and since my parents also recommended it a few days ago we've been watching The Dog Whisperer. I know it's an edited TV show, but it does look pretty impressive.

My wife is also looking at the websites of local rescue centers, so a mutt is not out of the question. We also found out today that the local adoption centers for dobies will not let their dogs go to homes with an invisible fence and small children. It's probably a liability issue on their part, but that's probably has put an end to that idea.

While puppies are cute, we really don't want to go through all of the turmoil and chewing (esp since we have small kids) when there are a ton of great, young dogs that are needing good homes.

Thanks again for all the info, I really appreciate it. I know I'll end up with a great dog and will post pictures when he or she arrives.

Australian Cattle Dogs (Blue Heelers). I have owned 7 of them and they are the most rewarding dogs that I've ever owned- but they will make you work for it. You HAVE to give them a job, or they will figure one out for themselves. As for as protectiveness against animal or human predators- they are amazing (especially if you have a pair). They don't need to be trained to protect your family, that comes naturally. They are also very loving pets, but they tend to distrust strangers.

My wife and I have gone through a few working dogs (okay, like 13 of them), mostly American Bulldogs and German Shepherds (German ones, not American GSDs). We were into protection dogsports (Schutzhund and Ring mostly). Spent $5K for one, between $1K and $2K for each of the others. The cost of the dogs was a drop in the bucket compared to the cost of training, feed and vet bills. Even imported an East German bitch from border lines. Basically, we ate/slept/breathed k9 for several years.

Lots of money. Lots of time. Lots of lessons learned.

Purebred does not mean good. It doesn't even mean predictable or repeatable. It just means "more expensive than a pound mutt." Puppy mills make their money off the willingness of people to buy a "purebred" that looks a certain way.

Please, with all the love in my heart, I ask this of you: If you're going to spend the bucks for a purebred dog, research the breed and research the breeders. Reputation is important, for both the breeder and the breedstock. I wish I learned this early on. It is heartbreaking when you realize your dog has a health defect or temperament defect and must be put down. It's even worse when you have to explain to your kids why mommy is in the hospital getting stitches and your dog is getting put to sleep... all because your overdominant dog felt like it was higher on the pack order than mommy.

If you don't feel like spending the money or doing the research, you have a really good chance of getting balanced drives/temperament/health from a pound mutt. Not kidding here. The reason is "first generation hybrid vigor", or the propensity of recessive alelles to be masked by breeding unrelated dogs. All purebred dogs are "pure" because they are inbred to some degree... the inbreeding required to make them look uniform also can strengthen or suppress drives and temperament components. Pound mutts tend to be healthier, have balanced drives and even temperaments. I have a mutt and a purebred now... and the mutt is healthier, smarter and has better temperament and drive.

You mentioned having your dog as a protector. Fair enough, most of us expect this of our dogs. Please consider hiring a trainer. You don't have to hire a professional trainer, but you are kidding yourself if you think your untrained dog will reliably engage a human assailant under pressure and protect you, your loved ones or your property. I've seen several untrained dogs put to the test by trained agitators in bite suits and all of them went into "avoidance drive" (basically abandoning their handler to get away from the agitator) at some point.

If I had to do it all over again, I'd get a free or inexpensive dog to start. Even a mutt from the pound. I'd test it for balanced drives and temperament. Once I found a good candidate dog, I'd find a reputable trainer with expertise in what I want (protection, obedience, tracking, etc.) and learn how to be a good handler.

Another vote for Labs and Boxers, I could only afford one so I got the best of both, great with kids, looks a little like a pit, has a great bark, I think she will protect if it came down to it

Excellent advice.

Thanks for all the responses, a lot of really good info. We've started watching Dogs 101 and since my parents also recommended it a few days ago we've been watching The Dog Whisperer. I know it's an edited TV show, but it does look pretty impressive.

Yes it's edited, but one thing to consider is that only the production crew goes in first, and none of them share anything about the problem with Cesar before he arrives. He has admitted to using one form of "pre-notification", and that's 'Daddy' (the dog in my avatar). He sometimes walks him up near the house to let Daddy get a feel for the subject dogs' energy before entering. Cesar really is that good.

He came to help a lady who lives near me and what he accomplished in only 25 minutes was just short of a miracle. I'm not saying you or any of us will reach his level by watching the show, but there's a lot of good information there.

My wife and I have gone through a few working dogs (okay, like 13 of them), mostly American Bulldogs and German Shepherds (German ones, not American GSDs). We were into protection dogsports (Schutzhund and Ring mostly).

:bow:

A Schutzhund trial is truly some of the coolest things I've ever attended. VERY impressive.

Got to give my boy Axle honorable mention.

post-1015-1262144672_thumb.jpg

Can only recommend the American Staffordshire Terrier to perhaps 10% of the devoted dog people

out there. But only because he is extremely powerful, fast and agile. Everything Ax does is HUGE.

Including the dump he takes. :surprise: ...I mean...man. Family protector of the first order. What is neat about Ax is

he is the great-grandson of my late fathers dog Gunther. He and his off spring have been in our family for over 30 years.

We have been better for it.

Jim

I took the family to the local pound tonight and while walking through, one dog just seemed to stand out. She was immediately submissive/friendly and not barking like a wild animal like all the rest. She's a 2yr old german shepherd mix with a very sweet temperament. I don't know what she's mixed with but looks very much like a shepherd, but with a shorter coat. When I took her for a walk, she never pulled very hard on the leash and would come back with a gentle tug. After walking the 50yd circuit they have outside, she lay down (in the snow) for me to rub her belly. My wife, 2 small kids and I spent about 15 mins in a small room with her offleash. She was obviously happy to be out of the cage and happy to be around us. She licked my kids faces a couple of times and obviously moved quite cautiously around them. Several times she took a toy quite carefully from my 2yr old's hand. When she was sniffing a random snack on the ground, my youngest bent down and picked it up right from under her nose and it didn't phase her.

I want to be objective and sensible about my decision, but I also can't help but think that fundamentally there was nothing wrong with her and she'd be a very good addition to the family.

I guess in my opening post when I said protection for the family, I didn't realize that it would entail the whole bite suit training thing. I'm not sure I want to go to those lengths just yet. For now if she'll bark at the door that'll be enough.

Thanks again for the continuing flow of amazing info.

Sounds like your Shep mix is a really good candidate. Characteristics of dog breeds are just generalizations about "most" of them. A good dog is a good dog period. I would see how the one you saw interacted with other dogs. Dog aggression can be a real issue and it can be driven by fear or dominance.

We have an Aussie and a Lab. Opposite ends of the dog spectrum but both good boys. Both rescues. Our lab is dumb as a box of rocks, lovable as the day is long and will eat anything that won't eat him first. He is laid back and no matter where I go to sit he just sort of wanders over and lays next to me. I like that. Our Aussie is like most of the breed. Smarter than most people I run into on the street but needs a task and exercise. We run with him between 4 and 8 miles a day, he is a frisbee hound and swims like a fish. He also is very dog aggressive (fear driven) and is a little extra clingy. He is very protective of my wife which I love. He has a ton of intensity. Not Border Collie crazy but not a dog that just hangs out.

Don't know... that Shep mix still sounds pretty darn good. Good luck to you.

Edited by Neomet

DV8,

besides my strong urge to consider a shelter dog: g**gle yourself some info on Rhodesian Ridgebacks, a.k.a. African Liondogs.

My little Heidi, 85lbs, is smart, super-calm, and will let you know if there is ANYTHING around the house that should not be.

Just some food for thought.

I took the family to the local pound tonight and while walking through, one dog just seemed to stand out. She was immediately submissive/friendly and not barking like a wild animal like all the rest. She's a 2yr old german shepherd mix with a very sweet temperament. I don't know what she's mixed with but looks very much like a shepherd, but with a shorter coat. When I took her for a walk, she never pulled very hard on the leash and would come back with a gentle tug. After walking the 50yd circuit they have outside, she lay down (in the snow) for me to rub her belly. My wife, 2 small kids and I spent about 15 mins in a small room with her offleash. She was obviously happy to be out of the cage and happy to be around us. She licked my kids faces a couple of times and obviously moved quite cautiously around them. Several times she took a toy quite carefully from my 2yr old's hand. When she was sniffing a random snack on the ground, my youngest bent down and picked it up right from under her nose and it didn't phase her.

I want to be objective and sensible about my decision, but I also can't help but think that fundamentally there was nothing wrong with her and she'd be a very good addition to the family.

I guess in my opening post when I said protection for the family, I didn't realize that it would entail the whole bite suit training thing. I'm not sure I want to go to those lengths just yet. For now if she'll bark at the door that'll be enough.

You have just described your new dog perfectly. Now go give her a home dammit! :cheers:

You have just described your new dog perfectly. Now go give her a home dammit! :cheers:

Absolutely, get that puppy.

Absolutely, get that puppy.

Yep, that dog just chose you for her family. Bring her home. :cheers: