Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

M9-A1?

i don't see a lot of traffic here but i am posting anyway. i have recently become fascinated by the Steyr M9-A1. i know that they are not being imported anymore. i have heard that they are fully supported by SAI in trussville and the CS is great. am i going to regret buying a gun with so little support in the aftermarket?

liontribe

No, no regrets, I'm actually switching back to the M9-A1 after a year shooting Glocks and Tanfoglios... They're a really great design, and while the aftermarket is small everything that's needed is out there, the aftermarkets the other guns have lured me away for a while... But the Steyr is just born better IMHO, coming back to them after shooting the others has me convinced.

i shot one of the new M series a few years back and just have not been able to shake the experience. i was actually point shooting and scoring the same as i was with proper sight alignment. while not recommended, i am amazed at the intuitive pointability? of these guns. somebody was paying attention in the design of that grip. i think i am going to drop dime on one soon. i am too intrigued by the design.

liontribe

• 2 weeks later...

well i was able to pick up a new M9-A1 this past weekend. i have run a couple hundred rounds through it without a hitch. i have ordered some striker bushing rods from btguiderods.com and they should be here by weeks' end. it is surprisingly accurate and smooth. i have yet to decide if i will keep the factory sights. they take some getting used to, to say the least. all in all, a nice 9mm pistol.

liontribe

Steyr017.jpg

Steyr020.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

well, she seems to have developed a little reset problem. every once in a blue moon, it will fail to reset. :angry2: i will be shipping her back to SAI as soon as they return from the holidays. i have heard good things about SAI customer service, though.

liontribe

I used one (not an A1 though) for a little while 7-8 years ago. Still have it actually. I bet in a two year span I put 75-100k rounds through it.

Fun little gun. If it had a bit longer sight radius it would be awesome.

Like eerw I had the sights changed out to Heinies.

Edited by Tom Freeman

• 2 weeks later...

The Dawson fiber optic front sight for XD will work well in the Steyr dovetail. It will take some filing off of metal on the the bottom of the XD dovetail to get it to fit. I have this on 3 of my MA1 game guns. I use the PT rear sight for these Steyrs, but PT appears to have kicked the bucket.

Edited by ben b.

• 4 weeks later...

i am getting used to the factory sights. i thought for sure i would change them at first. ya never know. jeff at SAI fixed my little reset trouble and she is running like a scalded ape. she is a fast runner. i am running with blade tech gear and it is top notch as always.

liontribe

• 3 weeks later...

I've got one from CDNN and it's having some problems extracting. I've heard that Steyr is replacing extractors and some magazine springs that were too short. Then again, I probably only have about 300 rounds through it at this point and I've heard they take some time to break in. Anyone have any thoughts?

I've got one from CDNN and it's having some problems extracting. I've heard that Steyr is replacing extractors and some magazine springs that were too short. Then again, I probably only have about 300 rounds through it at this point and I've heard they take some time to break in. Anyone have any thoughts?

Three possibilities.

1) The Steyr has a tight chamber. If it has excess gunk in it, cases will stick. I learned this the hard way about midway thru a case of Wolf. I know, "clean it" is common and often useless advice. These pistols had some sort of preservative oil on them, and then sat in a hot Texas warehouse for a long time. Look at the chamber, and scrub that pig out.

2) Email Jeff Reece, tell him you have extraction probs, and ask for the new extractor. You should already have the "dome" shaped extractor plunger in a CDNN gun. No charge from Steyr for the extractor. I'd do this anyway. jreece@steyrarms.com

3) If you have any 1911 plunger spring around, you can cut a small piece that will fit inside the Steyr's extractor spring, and that works also. It needs to be long enough to exert extra pressure, and just short enough to be installed, obviously.

2zscvfa.jpg

Edited by ben b.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I have owned two; a M40 and M9. Both developed, or had from the beginning, extraction problems. Several trips back to Steyr proved useless. Great concept, lousy execution. I hope the M9-A1's prove better.

• 10 months later...

I have two M9s, one is with a trigger safety, this one has a very nice smooth trigger. The other one is the new design without the trigger safety, for some reason the trigger pull on this thing really is bad. Its rough and too much take. I am going to be selling it soon. The sights on both models are crap.

I also have a Steyr GB, I have never had any FTFs or such and the gun's been with me for over 24years now.

I have two M9s, one is with a trigger safety, this one has a very nice smooth trigger. The other one is the new design without the trigger safety, for some reason the trigger pull on this thing really is bad. Its rough and too much take. I am going to be selling it soon.

Let me know what you want for it. I could use a project gun.

The sights on both models are crap.

I disagree. I traded them out to stay consistent with my other guns, but the tri-trap sights are not "crap", and work pretty well.

• 2 years later...