Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

looking for stage design software

fenwick

Yeah I couldnt find my copy anymore, amd I just remembered that you can find it at USPSA.com so I went there and re-downloaded it. Easy peasy! :)

I am designing the November Miamisburg match here in Ohio, so I better get on the ball. Lets see we need targets, target stands, winter gloves, parka, snow shoes, oh yeah and some more targets. :rolleyes:

Is there a similar program for stage design for IDPA?

We started with IDPA in Google SketchUp. There are targets and props out there in the SketchUp 3D Warehouse. If you need help in getting started, let us know.

Look at our blog- www.bcidpa.wordpress.com for our match booklets.

Best regards,

Jim Taylor

IPSC132.PPT

Here is the stage design tool Matt was talking about. This is also available from USPSA.com. There is more to be found out the on the web somewhere.

This (ipsc132.ppt) is a set of templates developed by Ken Wagner A-28672 in 1996, which he allowed me to use and to release for others to use. Thre is a link to the set (including samples and a readme.txt file) at my ancient (last updated 2000) USPSA Courses of Fire Collection

There is a later version of the .ppt tool available which includes the so called "Classic" ("Turtle") Target. You can find it directly at: Ken Wagner Tools (IPSC132c.ppt). The USPSA site never picked up the newer version.

Edited by jmaass

Is there a similar program for stage design for IDPA?

We started with IDPA in Google SketchUp. There are targets and props out there in the SketchUp 3D Warehouse. If you need help in getting started, let us know.

Look at our blog- www.bcidpa.wordpress.com for our match booklets.

Best regards,

Jim Taylor

Jim is the man! He has helped me several times and my google sketchup is full of props do to his help! You can make outstanding WSBs with Sketchup it just takes a learning curve.

I am a huge fan of StageCAD. It is a free program that you can download from StageCAD.com I will tell you that there are a few bugs in the program but the designer knows and has fixes posted on the site and is also working on an updated version. This program offers you a 3D view as well as an overhead view of the bay and allows you to move around the stage. You can also double click on the targets in one mode and see where your bullets will travel to help check for shoot throughs. One tip for printing is to go into the Setup tab then select Options. That will load a small window, in there select the Printing tab and set it to 90 Darken Printer Percent and it will save you a ton of ink and make the diagram easier to view. I also use a photo editing program to paste the images to so I can resize if needed.

2009%2008%2028%20a.jpg

2009%2008%2028%20b.jpg

Joe W.

• 1 month later...
So if I download Google Sketchup, where do I go to get targets, props, etc?

Look in Google's 3D Warehouse. We have a bunch of props, targets, etc. there. If you have any questions, post them here or PM me.

Best regards and Happy New Year!!!

Jim Taylor

bcidpa at gmail dot com

Look in Google's 3D Warehouse. We have a bunch of props, targets, etc. there. If you have any questions, post them here or PM me.

Jim Taylor

bcidpa at gmail dot com

I downloaded the program and found your "range with yard grids" template and I found all the targets, props etc. However I have NO idea where to even begin using the program. WAY too complicated for me.

Pro, just takes a little time. Jim helped me out several years ago with it, got the hang of it quick enough to even design some props in the warehouse.

Used it to design the stages for my CRO exam.

Put in the time, well worth it.

Jim Taylor

bcidpa at gmail dot com

I downloaded the program and found your "range with yard grids" template and I found all the targets, props etc. However I have NO idea where to even begin using the program. WAY too complicated for me.

Once you get beyond the learning curve it's well worth it.

One thing I will tell you that really helps that took me a while is to make sure you stay along the y and x axis. green and red. not blue. blue is z axis (vertical)

• 1 month later...

There's a link below to a Stage Design program for use in Excel, along with stages some of our Wisconsin clubs have used (some borrowed, some original).

I just posted the Excel Stage Designer last night. I take no credit for it as most of the stuff is borrowed from too many people to name or remember. I have tried to add notes on how to use it, but if you have questions send an email to ronnie@casperracing.com Feel free to add to it and pass it along.

Here's the link: http://wisconsinshoo...id=37&Itemid=76

I have started using Google Sketchup and am starting to get the hang of it. Thanks Steel1212 and Jim Taylor.

Thanks,

Ronnie

edited to add: I converted the file to an older format for those without the latest version of Excel.

Edited by Ronnie Casper

• 2 weeks later...

I was just looking at stagedesign.com--a lot of stages 2-32 rounds,,where do you get the measurements from,I mean when you see a stage you like do you just set it up safely or should there be a set distance to the targets,,yes I know you should set it up safely always with 180 in mind ,but I think yall know what I'm asking,,not to steel your thread just thought I would expand,, :cheers:

• 1 year later...

When you first install SketchUp, there is a tutorial that is quite good, in my opinion. If ever you want to rewatch the tutorial, or see any other special topics, you can always go to "Help.Welcome to Sketchup..." on the menu.

Or are you looking for a tutorial geared more for stage design using SketchUp? I think there are one or two of those on YouTube.

Been going through my old designs and cleaning them up some so others may use. Here I will be posting my current iteration of my Powerpoint presentation "Stage Designer" where I store objects I use in my slides for adding into the Word stage designs. The Word based stage designs are posted mainly to provide scoring templates per the target number, type, and scoring method listed in the title. The designs themselves are fairly simple and might border on uninteresting, but again it's mainly for the score sheets. Most everything in all the documents posted are unlocked and editable though you may have to un-group objects first. I have designs that list up to 19 IPSC paper targets and will post 'em all as my global upload quota permits. I'll also include my generic score-sheet that we keep on hand when the number of shooters who show up outstrips the number of match copies that got printed.

1 Stage Designer.ppt

1 IPSC Two Shot Draws-Virginia, Multi-string.DOC

1 IPSC-STL-NO SHOOT More Mettle-Comstock.DOC

2 IPSC One Shot Drills-Virginia, Multi-string.DOC

2 IPSC-STL Pythagorean Bill-Comstock.DOC

2 IPSC-STL-NO SHOOT The King, The Queen, The Orcs and The Orb-Comstock-Speed Shoot.DOC

3 IPSC Claustrophobia-Virginia.DOC

3 IPSC Knife At A Gunfight-Comstock.DOC

Edited by gino_aki