Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

IonBond

olp73

I have some questions about IonBond’ing firearms. I understand that this is the new wonder finish, but know very little about it.

What is it really? The finish seam to come in a variety of colors. Are all suitable for pistols? Do they all give the same amount of protection? And is it like hard chrome in the sense that the result depends on what you put it on? Polished surface will give polished looking IonBond? Will it extend the life of the pistol; help it keep its tolerances?

What kind of IonBond finish is most common?

Do I need to prep the parts in any particular way?

I am thinking of doing it to an SVI but since IonBond Sweden AB (this is my only option) isn’t specially familiar with guns I like to be able to give him some instructions before I send it away.

Edited by olp73

• 3 weeks later...

I have had IonBond applied to one of my custom 45's. The pistol had polished side flats and matte everything else. When the pistol came back the end finish color was different than what I sent but the side polish came through just like the original finish. Tough stuff, I really like it.

I have had IonBond applied to one of my custom 45's. The pistol had polished side flats and matte everything else. When the pistol came back the end finish color was different than what I sent but the side polish came through just like the original finish. Tough stuff, I really like it.

In what way was it different?

Wow, I had a hard time understanding my own response.

My pistol was SS and I had it IonBonded. The finish looks great. It is sort of a gunmetal gray rather than more black as I would have supposed. Mone the less I like it and would do it again when I have a pistol that needs refinishing.

My pistol was SS and I had it IonBonded. The finish looks great. It is sort of a gunmetal gray rather than more black as I would have supposed. Mone the less I like it and would do it again when I have a pistol that needs refinishing.

IonBond is a company, not a finish type, and this confuses many people. They have several PVD finishes for firearms. If you are describing your finish as the gunmetal gray and not black, it would guess it is not the DiamondBLACK or a rough blasted finish..

2398_1098203169723_1065952177_333005_7227305_n.jpg

n1065952177_333000_5087338.jpg

7030_1237163203637_1065952177_758743_7902045_n.jpg

6916_1224387124243_1065952177_722883_4224990_n.jpg

If the color is between these to colors, it is also possible that the parts were treated with a rougher blast media, which will give a grayer matte finish.

Edited by Loves2Shoot

IonBond is a company, not a finish type, and this confuses many people. They have several PVD finishes for firearms. If you are describing your finish as the gunmetal gray and not black, it would guess it is not the DiamondBLACK or a rough blasted finish..

If the color is between these to colors, it is also possible that the parts were treated with a rougher blast media, which will give a grayer matte finish.

OK, then I am even more confused. What do I tell them in Sweden?

What is a PVD finish? And which of them are suitable for firearms?

Edited by olp73

OK, then I am even more confused. What do I tell them in Sweden?

What is a PVD finish? And which of them are suitable for firearms?

PVD finishes = Physical Vapor Deposition

Tribicote 40/41 is what they should know the DiamondBLACK as. The have several coating facilities in Europe, and the production manager will know if they have a coating suitable for firearms, as they do a lot of firearms coating over their.