Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Match fee refunds?

Alan550

Without getting into specifics, a large match is scheduled months in advance, registration deadline comes and goes 3 weeks before the match and someone wants to cancel 2-3 days before the match due to gun problems. Do you give them their entry fees back out of the match director's pocket, since all the money was spent for prize table goodies? This maybe should have been put in the Hate Forum!! :angry2:

Alan~^~

Without getting into specifics, a large match is scheduled months in advance, registration deadline comes and goes 3 weeks before the match and someone wants to cancel 2-3 days before the match due to gun problems. Do you give them their entry fees back out of the match director's pocket, since all the money was spent for prize table goodies? This maybe should have been put in the Hate Forum!! :angry2:

Alan~^~

This is what Area 2 does:

Refunds after October 1, 2009 will be charged a $50 Administration Fee. No refunds after 11/5. (Match starts 11/12)

The Nationals had a couple levels of refund fees.

If there are match funds available to cover them, fine. If all the funds are commited, offer free entry into the match next year. I don't think the match staff needs to loose money just because the shooter has no backup hardware!

JMHO,

Chuck

:devil: From seeing this first hand at the double tap. You should not get your match fee back if you cancel after the deadline. There are exceptions to everything, but once you have been burned several times the answer is going to be NO! Someone having gun problems is not the problem of the MD, I hate to be cold but, I have heard that on before and come to find out that was not the case. They just wanted to go shoot somewhere else.

Having run other types of tournaments, I have to agree with the others.

If the deadline is passed AND the funds have already been spent on prizes and other things "needed for the match" then the fact that this person is having "gun issues" is not your tournaments problem.

The Customer service attitude would be to follow what ChuckS said: "If all the funds are committed, offer free entry into the match next year." If you do that, you can be seen as at least trying to be somewhat reasonable and not just "taking someones money" Even if that person knew the rules about it when they paid...

Other than that, as dgshooter put it: " Someone having gun problems is not the problem of the MD, I hate to be cold but, I have heard that on before and come to find out that was not the case. They just wanted to go shoot somewhere else."

I might offer the loan of a gun/rig/ammo whatever to help solve the problem --- especially if an entry into next year's match isn't feasible.....

I think the shooter's allowed to ask for his money back, no matter how late he cancels --- but the shooter also needs to accept politely whatever answer he's given. Match staff should do what they can to accommodate the shooter --- refund if early enough, entry into next year's match, refund less administrative fee if that's an option on the match application, arranging for the loan of gear, whatever might be able to make this happen for the shooter IF IT'S POSSIBLE for the match staff to do so.

In some cases, none of those things are going to work.....

I would say in most cases, in most matches most of that money is being used up to put on the match. I know when we where trying to run our match if somebody came to be a couple days before and asked for a refund, it simply wouldn't be there and I'm not taking it out of my pocket to give it back to them either. From the shooters stand point if they only have one gun and it breaks a couple days before the match then they pretty much have to take what ever the match staff is willing to give them, yeah it sucks but it is what it is. Not to many of these matches make any money, I know my goal was to break even.

Completely agree with not getting your money back after a certain date. The match organizers are making plans based on the commitments of the shooters who sign up. If you got your money back at the last minute there could be gun problems if the day before the match the temp drops into the 30s or you get heavy rains, or both.

However, people do get sick, called into work, guns do break etc.. While I think it is fair for the match to keep the entry fee, I think it also fair that the shooter be able to sell or give their slot to someone. If they are unable to sell or give their slot and the shooter has a representative present to pick them up. He should get his shooters package, shirt, bucket raffle prize, and place finish prize if there are enough. I don't recall shooting a big match where this is addressed before the match.

That being said, as long as everything is clearly spelled out that's the way it is. You pay your money and you take your chances.