Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2011 mag question

ateb74

My question is how to get the magazine to drop free and clean somtimes when I hit mag release button the mag tends to hang up sometimes. I bought Brazos polished mags is there anything else I can do or look at to help. I tried looking using search cause I know the answer has to be here and asked before but I can not find it, so any answers or links would help thanks

Check the mag release and make sure when pushed all the way in it is not rubbing on the mag(the side that the button is on). If it is it will need to be filed down so it doesn't hit the mag when pushed all the way in.

BK

Your probably pinning the mag in the grip with the release. Or you are gorilla fisting it and squeezing the grip down on it.

Hold the release in and slide a mag in and out, does it drag?

If so relieve the release so it doesn't, you can use a magic marker the blacken the release and slide the mag in and out then look where its dragging.

I use a cursed dremmel and 1/2" sanding/polishing drum.

A simple method is emory cloth wrapped around a rod, lots of times there is a casting/forging line right where the mag slides by.

NOT IN THE GUN.

Having worked on a pretty good number of grips over the last two years or so I've noticed that frequently the newer grips are on the snug side and frequently mags don't want to drop free from them. A little work with a Dremel tool and a sanding wheel or files will usually fix it. I've seen them tight front to back, side to side and in both directions so there's no way to say without checking yours. Put the mag body (no follower, spring or basepad) in the grip and see if it will wiggle front to back or side to side. It should have some play in each direction. R,

Having worked on a pretty good number of grips over the last two years or so I've noticed that frequently the newer grips are on the snug side and frequently mags don't want to drop free from them. A little work with a Dremel tool and a sanding wheel or files will usually fix it. I've seen them tight front to back, side to side and in both directions so there's no way to say without checking yours. Put the mag body (no follower, spring or basepad) in the grip and see if it will wiggle front to back or side to side. It should have some play in each direction. R,

I have a few grips to send back to STI for verification. David says the same guy has been making the grips for the last 10 years using the same process and same molds. Well I got a shipment in and every one of them is undersized. I can open them up, but why should I have to?

My question is how to get the magazine to drop free and clean somtimes when I hit mag release button the mag tends to hang up sometimes. I bought Brazos polished mags is there anything else I can do or look at to help. I tried looking using search cause I know the answer has to be here and asked before but I can not find it, so any answers or links would help thanks

If the grip has been reshaped, it's thinner than before. Lots of guys squeeze the grip when hitting the mag release button and cause the mag to "stick" a bit due grip compression. Try this. Remove the slide and insert the mag in the gun. Try to locate where it is binding. This is assuming that the mag catch has been completely been ruled out as the culprit. Determine if the bind is occurring front to back or on the sides. Does the mag drop free when ONLY pressing the mag release button but not when you are fully gripping it?

Depending on the answer, take 2 small pieces of wood and place them in a vise and place the mag in between the wood. What you want to do is evers-so-gently compress the magazine (without base pad) using the vise and between the wood. Compress in very small increments and test the mag in your gun until it finally drops free. Don't go too far!!

Most mags tend to not be in spec. And when they are inserted into a 2011 grip that has been reshaped, can cause a bind during the heat of live fire reloads. I've fixed a few mags from brownells that have come this way. The warning here is that you could ruin your mag if you over compress but not any more so that the dremmel advice I've read ... ;-)

With some good advice from HSMITH, I took the top end off my open rig and learned that the SV mags I had were actually not sticking on the grip, but the frame. Two were actually hanging up on the threaded insert that holds the grip on.

I had an Edge that had a badly out of spec grip and was actually so bad that it was causing hammer follow also. New grip, no follow, mags dropped free...