Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Double Charge Prevention

dsonyay

I'm about to get a 550B. I've reloaded a lot on the SDB and never worried much about a double charge.

Now I realize that the possibility is greater that I may double charge on the 550 if I forget to move the casings.

Anyone have tips on preventing this? Or am I missing something?

David S

Slidell LA

USN CPO

You just have to be careful.

Depending on the load, as you set the bullet on the belled case you'll probably see the case is too full, or possibly overflowing. In this scenario, you're going to decap a live primer. I've never done that, not sure if it could/would go off or not...

After a few hundred rounds, it becomes second nature to advance..

Guest Larry Cazes

Never did understand the worry over double charging on the 550B. I think the risk is way overstated for anyone taking a reasonable amount of care when loading. I started loading 6 years ago on an RCBS rockchucker and have loaded 20K+ rounds on my 550B without a single double charge or squib. I worry more when shooting factory rounds then my own.

Larry

I started loading less than a year ago on a 550b and love it. I worried some then said I was happy with 350 rounds per hr. looking at each case before I placed the bullet on top. I also started the habit of not stopping the press or walking away for any reason with a loaded charge in station 2. I can run 450 rounds per hour and still feel safe that I won't double charge now but why rush. Remember it's the man not the machine that causes a double. I do like the 550b also because I now load 40/38special & super/9mm & 223. The change over time is less than 5 minutes. Great machine and thank you Brian for not over selling me! Old John

I have never loaded on a progressive without an auto index exactly for the reason described above.

Seriously consider the 650. I will be purchasing one fairly soon. ( from BE of course)

Yeah, you would probably catch a mistake on a press without auto index ( 550 ), but I have enough on my mind already.

Travis F.

Thanks! I don't have a SDB to get rid of, I was just used to using it when I reloaded with my neighbor. But even on the SDB, I noticed I was always looking to see the charge in the casing when I put a bullet on top :)

I've loaded on a 550B too, and liked the roomier area in there. I even checked the charge then too. Not a big deal. I reload kind of slow - 200 an hour, maybe less, usually taking a break when the primer buzzer goes off.

Just wondering about some tips when working with a different model.

Thanks fellas!

I almost bought a SDB, but EVERYONE seemed to tell me not to do it- just to get the 550. So I did. I've used both and kinda prefer the 500 because of a bigger work area and it seems to operate smoother too.

David S

If I want to get up or leave the machine while I'm loading, I'll stop after the downstroke of the handle. That way, I KNOW that I have to advance the cases after the upstroke, and the powder charge bar doesn't fill and have a chance to settle for a while, resulting in a heavier charge (not 100% sure that's really something to be concerned about).

Anyway, if you develop a rhythm, downstroke, upstroke, seat primer, then simultaneously advance with left hand and grab new case with right, then place bullet as you grab the handle, it's pretty hard to screw up.

If you do think for any reason that something might not be quite right, stop, and look at each station, and all the cases, and verify where you are in the process before continuing.

Good luck,

DogmaDog

If you will be filling the cases nearly to the top with powder, the 550 is probably the better choice. I find the manual indexing is much smoother than the auto indexing 650. BTW I have both a 550 and a 650 and don't think that I could ever buy anything other than Dillon.

To double charge on a 550, it takes 2 forgotten steps: not indexing the plate, then forgetting to pick up and seat a bullet. If I forget to index, I would normally pick up a bullet, and realize that there is no place to put it. This realization happens before the double charge happens, before the live primer is punched out.

Lee

I have used a sdb some, a 650 & 1050 a whole bunch but had never used a 550 til wed nite. What a miserable experince, 3 hrs at a strange bench with a strange machine, I knew everthing I needed was there, but where? Start, stop, check that, start, check that again, stop, start again. Net output 100 rds. I,m glad that 100 is a life time supply for that rifle. Don't get me wrong, really good machine but now I really, really like my 650. On the other hand, if I extended my bench about a foot & put a new 550 or 500 down at that end, I could shoot the old .35 and the hornet a lot more, I could shoot all the rifles a lot more. Where is that ph#. Larry

I am sure it could be frustrating loading rifle rounds on a strange press, regardless of the kind.

Glad I do not shoot any rifle competition that requires loading on a progressive machine. I rather enjoy loading 25 or so rounds with my straight line Wilson dies and my arbor press, knowing they are going to shoot really well. Afraid I might not have that same confidence if I had to load 1K of 223 on a big Dillon of any kind.

I'm still using two 450's. I mostly reload .357M, for which I use a load that almost completely fills the case. Should I ever forget to turn the plate, a second pour of powder would not fit in the case and pour over, so I can never end up with a double-loaded cartridge. This might not work for all calibers, but you could try to find a powder that with the desired load also almost completely fills the case. Just beware that the powder does not get compressed when seating the bullet.

Depends on the powder. Yes, for Bullseye, Titegroup, and some others.

Take my word for it, 10 grains of Bullseye is loud when you touch it off and does ugly things to your gun. dug a hole and buried approx 300 rounds...

I JUST bought a 650 from our host and after loading only about 500 rounds I'm soooo happy I got it instead of the 550. Between the shellplate advancing automaticly and the powdercheck station I have no worries about squibs or double charges. Never mind that the casefeeder ROCKS.

If a 650 isn't feasible however choose a load that will either spill over or make it impossible to seat the bullet in the event of a double charge.

Jeff

Depends on the powder. Yes, for Bullseye, Titegroup, and some others.

Take my word for it, 10 grains of Bullseye is loud when you touch it off and does ugly things to your gun. dug a hole and buried approx 300 rounds...

10 grains of Titegroup.......Thankgod for safety glasses. My original 45 grips and what's left of the magazine hang on the wall over my 550B as a reminder.

It took months to get any pleasure back in shooting. :(

My mindset when I load now is much different. It's much slower........... and deliberate......... and more of a process. When I load Titegroup it's meticulous.

Always being aware it could happen is the right attitude.

It also woke me up to the possibility and outcome of a squid in the auto as well.

Dog

Yeah, I'm pretty slow at reloading. When I used my neighbors SDB, I seemed to double check every powder drop to see if there was powder in the case, and it looked like it was double charged. I took a big break when the primers ran out and spent a few minutes testing the powder charge on the scale again.

I find the whole process relaxing still.

Thanks for all the input...

I'm an AGC stationed at Keesler AFB in Biloxi. I live in Slidell LA (right across the border). Been in for just about 17 yrs and getting close to the retirement time. I grew up in Lafayette LA, so retiring in Slidell is like being home.

Thanks!