Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Your load data is useless if...

Flexmoney

To attempt to be serious, not sure if possible in this thread, I'd think listing a COL is of little use as each gun, barrel is going to vary.

I personally think a "plunk" test is the best way to establish a length for that individuals particular barrel. After that is established, check to see that the load will function in the magazines and load into the chamber properly.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
To attempt to be serious, not sure if possible in this thread, I'd think listing a COL is of little use as each gun, barrel is going to vary.

I personally think a "plunk" test is the best way to establish a length for that individuals particular barrel. 

The "plunk" test would only tell you if it were too long. With some barrels the COL would be too long to fit in the mag before you would get a failed plunk.

The main reason COL is important is that seating depth can have drastic effects on pressure. Take a long loaded major 9 load and seat short and you are likely to have problems.

Edited by jmorris

"I personally think a "plunk" test is the best way to establish a length for that individuals particular barrel. After that is established, check to see that the load will function in the magazines and load into the chamber properly."

More fun when you quote the entire statement ! :mellow:

The point was function is not part of load data. For example 3.1 of VVN310 with a Berrys 147 @ 1.160", is one of the best minor 9 loads one can shoot but while very soft shooting it is quite high in pressure. Seat the bullet another .020" and all bets are off.

If you use someone's load data you should also use all of it. Using the above load again, a jacketed bullet in place of the plated will rase pressures on a load that is already on the edge.

• 2 weeks later...

The point was function is not part of load data.

Exactly.

the biggest thing we see here is that folks are loading for guns of vastly different designs. For (general) example: STI = long chambered vs. Glock = short chambered.

When you look up load data on the Hodgdon website, (which I use, and find very helpful), it gives you the bullet type and actual diameter, COL, powder type and charge weight, fps, and pressures I know I'm missing something, minimum and maximum loads for that powder and that would seem to be enough to get someone safely in the ballpark for their gun. You have your gun and mags as a guide to your dimensions and where the load needs to be for you, so I'm happy with that amount of data. I think from there you can get to where you want safely.

Very true but if I didn't post an OAL of 1.160" for the above, some unsuspecting fellow might load it to 1.060" and create a dangerous round. That would make that load data worse than useless.

Very true.

My first year I got a load from a well known GM. He neglected to tell me it was long loaded and I didn't know competition reloading well enough to ask. I assembled some rounds at SAAMI spec OAL and promptly blew up a gun.

• 2 weeks later...

Very true but if I didn't post an OAL of 1.160" for the above, some unsuspecting fellow might load it to 1.060" and create a dangerous round. That would make that load data worse than useless.

Very true.

My first year I got a load from a well known GM. He neglected to tell me it was long loaded and I didn't know competition reloading well enough to ask. I assembled some rounds at SAAMI spec OAL and promptly blew up a gun.

the very reason(ing) for me starting this thread in the first place.

• 1 year later...
  • 4 years later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Very true.
You took a load from a well known GM? Sounds like something that would happen on team glock.
The kaboom part, I mean.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

• 2 years later...
On 12/9/2012 at 10:08 PM, kevin c said:

Very true.

Did you end up with any injuries?? That is scary as all hell!!

• 2 weeks later...