Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Winchester SX3 and The FN SLP

00bullitt

Kelly, when the AMU team came down last month, robby was shooting a benelli m2 & daniel had his win. sx2. Daniel could easily out run the benelli. After doing the bolt lighting & total package on the m2, daniel could not outrun it no matter how hard he tried. With the right set up it is still the best. I ran a 5 popper set up with mine in 1.62 just to make sure I still could.

I can still outrun my Benelli M1 that you built. Granted you built it several years ago and its one of the fluted bolts. I outran it on the poppers at last years FNH side match. Third poper down and I had to run the bolt because the hammer followed the bolt down.

I liked my Benelli. It was just finicky when it wanted to be. It would just act up for short stints. Used to piss me off. With that said.....I'm sure this new SX3 will at some point. I'm just willing to see how long it takes. For now....its the latest greatest thing since sliced bread to me.

Today Winchester offers only SX3 ? SX2 is old technology ?

What do you think about the new model SX3 Flanigun ? I think the shortest barrel is 28"....

The SX2 technology is only available in the FN SLP models. The difference in the SX3 is that it is an aluminum receiver, and has invector plus chokes which use an overbored barrel and lengthened forcing cone. The weight difference is a full pound due to the difference in receiver weight and the vent rib barrel profile which is much lighter.

I considered getting the Flannigan model. Its nothing special other than a red anodized receiver for like $300 more.

Edited by 00bullitt

My SX2 is an alloy receiver, but heavier than the SX3 and the same as the SLP. My X2 has a back bored barrel and uses invector plus chokes. The barrel profile is much heavier than the X3. The X3 was put on a diet big time, pretty much anywhere they could take weight they did. My X2 started as an X2 hunting gun and not a practical/tactical X2, the practical X2's were as Tod described.

In Europe, there is a big difference in price between SX3 Composite and SX3 Flanigun (more $500). It is very expensive if it is the only reason.

I thougt the SX3 Composite was a shotgun for the hunters and the Flanigun a sporting shotgun. I know that for the sporting clays we always use double-barrelled sporting guns because they are more reliable than the hunting versions... It is not the same thing for the semi-automatic shotguns ?

Well as I see all of you guys jumping off the "Spagetti cart" I need a good old M1 or M2 for a friend in Norway so if you have a nice one in the $700-$800 range let me know! "KurtMarinara"

Kurt,

I have a Benelli M1 Practical listed for sale on Glock Talk.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 years later...

Bringing an old thread up from the deal here, I read here that SLP barrels and X3 barrels are interchangeable. Curious about the 3" and 3.5" designations. I assume that is only a barrel/chamber issue and has nothing to do with the receiver? I have a 3.5" SX3 in 28" and looking for a shorter barrel for a 3 gun rig. Looking at some SLP barrels. 3" barrel work on my 3.5" gun receiver?

• 4 months later...

Bringing an old thread up from the deal here, I read here that SLP barrels and X3 barrels are interchangeable. Curious about the 3" and 3.5" designations. I assume that is only a barrel/chamber issue and has nothing to do with the receiver? I have a 3.5" SX3 in 28" and looking for a shorter barrel for a 3 gun rig. Looking at some SLP barrels. 3" barrel work on my 3.5" gun receiver?

sx2 and fn are the same barrels not the sx3. Just came across this thread and saw your post had gone unanswered.

• 4 months later...

This is way old but it's interesting, mainly because this is the first time I've heard anybody act like the FN is superior to the Benelli in terms of reliability. Everybody else has said the exact opposite, including a very popular top gunsmith. Now that this is four years after the fact and the hoopla about the FN has died down, do you guys still have the same opinion?

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters

This is way old but it's interesting, mainly because this is the first time I've heard anybody act like the FN is superior to the Benelli in terms of reliability. Everybody else has said the exact opposite, including a very popular top gunsmith. Now that this is four years after the fact and the hoopla about the FN has died down, do you guys still have the same opinion?

I wish I would have bought a 24'' Benelli field gun and sent it for some R&R with Benny down on the coast. Right now thinking of either doing that or getting a Beretta 1301

• 2 years later...

Reviving this thread again. Right now Im on a crossroad between a 1301 Comp, M1 Practical and SX3. Ive read a lot about this 3 here but For some reasons I cannot fully explain Im leaning towards the SX3 for my very first Open gun. Am I bound for a fool's paradise?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Several months with the sx3 and started reloading shotshells a month or so ago. Mine will run 7/8 #7-1/2 leadshots at about 1,100 fps all day long. Its with a +9 taccom tube, arredondo chute for 6 shot sticks. But the best part is its now very reliable across any load I feed it w/c by the way is a bit limited compared to those in US and Europe. And at its price point Im not dreaming for a 1301 or m2 anymore.