Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Energy Stimulants/supplements

cybrosh

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi,

Is anyone using energy stimulants as a boost before a match or even before every stage? I'm referring to coffee tablets, energy gum, all sorts of vitamins, energy drinks, etc'?

Cheers

The worst scores I ever put up were when I tried to make up for a lack of sleep with caffeine and energy drinks. Now I just get a good night's sleep, drink my normal daily amount of coffee and coke (one of each) on the way to the match, and drink a little fruit juice or eat some small snacks (breakfast bars, gorp, etc) during the match to keep my blood sugar up. Too much stimulant makes me shaky.

I also usually take a couple of ibuprofen or Aleve to keep the back from barking too much.

As a safety professional that loves the evil Mountain Dew (52 milligrams of caffeine per can - half a no-doze), caffeine has issues. Several studies about aggressive behavior, increased pulse rate, increased urination, restless, anxious and if you are not used to it then your hands can visibly shake. Would not think these are good.

Probably same things athletes need to do, warm up, get sleep, exercise, stay hydrated etc. So probably the sport drinks would be better.

Did a little google work Top 10 harmful side effects of caffeine

1. Caffeine makes your heart beat abnormally fast which is very harmful for people who have high blood pressure or a history of heart disease.

2. Caffeine constricts the blood vessels in your brain causing many people in get massive headaches.

3. Caffeine is a strong diuretic causing your body to become dehydrated and the #1 symptom of dehydration is fatigue.

4. Some people experience tremors after drinking caffeine. That’s thought to be due to over-activation of the central nervous system.

5. One recent report from the US revealed that women who drink in excess of one cup of coffee every day are only half as likely to be able to get pregnant as those who drink no coffee at all.

The odds are considerably worse if women drink more than two cups a day. Then they are nearly 5 times less likely to be able to get pregnant as women who drink no coffee at all.

6. Caffeine can cause tension or stiffness in your neck, shoulders, jaw, hands, legs or stomach.

7. Caffeine can cause mood swings or periods of depression during the day.

8. Caffeine can cause coldness in the extremities, especially in your hands and feet because it restricts circulation. This is very common side effect in women.

10. Caffeine can cause you to wake up feeling tired because it inhibits your bodies ability to sleep properly and get into REM sleep. Caffeine may also cause insomnia.

Hi,

Is anyone using energy stimulants as a boost before a match or even before every stage? I'm referring to coffee tablets, energy gum, all sorts of vitamins, energy drinks, etc'?

Cheers

No caffeine other than one of your morning cups that you usually take. Eat light, take Flintstones vitamin and a bottle of water with breakfast. Have some Gummi Bears or non-chocolate candy occasionally. Stay hydrated, replace electrolytes, and don't eat a meal until you are done shooting. Peanut butter and jelly sandwiches are great for all day matches. I have found that the small Vitamin Waters in orange or grape will stop dehydration leg cramps right now, because they have a lot of potassium. If you feel salt depleted, one small bag of potato chips is the right dose for immediate use. Energy stimulant drinks are not good for shooting for the same reason they are not good for doing surgery-fine motor movement is impaired. Adrenaline from competition is enough. These drinks have a place, just not during actual shooting. Good luck!

Probably same things athletes need to do, warm up, get sleep, exercise, stay hydrated etc. So probably the sport drinks would be better.

I don't disagree that caffeine can be detrimental - especially if consuming more than you normally drink in the morning in lieu of getting enough good sleep the night before. The only comment I disagree with above is the last - so-called "sports drinks" (including Gatorade) have too much sugar. Nothing will kill your energy and focus quicker than a nice blood sugar spike - and the next worst thing is a blood sugar roller coaster.

My experience is that Gatorade G2 does better - and diluting it 1:2 w/ water is even better. Just enough electrolyte to keep you going, and enough sugar to speed absorption, without causing issues. A good multi-vitamin goes a long way. Proper nutrition, taken in a "grazing" fashion throughout the day works great - bias towards monounsaturated fat and protein (nuts and (low salt) jerky are a good, non-perishable option - there are other things that work well, too). Fuel up with a good breakfast low in high glycemic index carbs (ie, no pancakes, waffles, potatoes, etc). Your goal is to keep your blood sugar even and adequate, and to stay absolutely hydrated.

BTW... plenty of threads on this on the forum ;)

Did a little google work Top 10 harmful side effects of caffeine

1. Caffeine makes your heart beat abnormally fast which is very harmful for people who have high blood pressure or a history of heart disease.

2. Caffeine constricts the blood vessels in your brain causing many people in get massive headaches.

3. Caffeine is a strong diuretic causing your body to become dehydrated and the #1 symptom of dehydration is fatigue.

4. Some people experience tremors after drinking caffeine. That’s thought to be due to over-activation of the central nervous system.

5. One recent report from the US revealed that women who drink in excess of one cup of coffee every day are only half as likely to be able to get pregnant as those who drink no coffee at all.

The odds are considerably worse if women drink more than two cups a day. Then they are nearly 5 times less likely to be able to get pregnant as women who drink no coffee at all.

6. Caffeine can cause tension or stiffness in your neck, shoulders, jaw, hands, legs or stomach.

7. Caffeine can cause mood swings or periods of depression during the day.

8. Caffeine can cause coldness in the extremities, especially in your hands and feet because it restricts circulation. This is very common side effect in women.

10. Caffeine can cause you to wake up feeling tired because it inhibits your bodies ability to sleep properly and get into REM sleep. Caffeine may also cause insomnia.

Yep those are all bad!!

Now some of the good things.

Improves your ability to think clearly and solve problems, and can actually raise your IQ

Increases your short-term memory, helps you concentrate, and relieves boredom

Is a powerful antioxidant, combating muscle damage and helping you to stay younger

Improves your mood and overcomes depression, creating an "attitude of success"

Helps you run, swim, and cycle longer and faster

Increases the painkilling power of common analgesics and is itself a strong pain reliever

Grows brain cells in the areas of the brain responsible for long-term memory

http://www.enotalone.com/article/5745.html

http://www.grit.com/Food/Caffeine-May-Be-G...Your-Brain.aspx

I drink Monster Low-carb, 5hour energy, and the occasional foo-foo coffee drink. Before workouts I use NOXplode and that has about 400mg of caffine.

Edited by Shawn Knight

Once in summer league i was helping set up on a hot day and drank 3 Cokes in about 30 min. When it came time to shoot i was shaking so bad i couldn't line up the sites. :wacko: I wont do that again.

I work nights, and often i go from work right to a match. So every now and then i drink one of those 5 hour energy drinks. They don't have the crash that caffine based drinks have, or the jitters either. They are basicly B vitamins so i don't know if there is any real benifit. Although if i take it about half way through the match then i don't loose focus on the last couple of stages, which has been a problem for me sometimes.

Unless you buy the caffine free 5hour energy you are getting about 100mg of caffine per bottle. you will get the same effects by drinking Monster Low-carb. Monster has the same B vits just not in the same quantities per serving. Zip-Fizz is another good one to try.

Your brain takes at lest two full hours to wake up after you do, so rolling out of bed late before a match is always a losing situation. When I travel to majors, I always try to hit up the gym and pool before leaving for the range. 30-60 minutes of cardio is an excellent and healthy way to wake up the body to stay alert.

High protein snacks or fruits are going to be the best way to stay alert during long matches. I will sometimes throw in a sugar free energy drink depending on the length of the match (I know how much caffeine I can get away with without getting the shakes). Sugar energy drinks (at least for me) are good for a quick boost, but two hours later I feel the sugar crash and lethargy/mental burnout generally set in.

Your brain takes at lest two full hours to wake up after you do, so rolling out of bed late before a match is always a losing situation. When I travel to majors, I always try to hit up the gym and pool before leaving for the range. 30-60 minutes of cardio is an excellent and healthy way to wake up the body to stay alert.

High protein snacks or fruits are going to be the best way to stay alert during long matches. I will sometimes throw in a sugar free energy drink depending on the length of the match (I know how much caffeine I can get away with without getting the shakes). Sugar energy drinks (at least for me) are good for a quick boost, but two hours later I feel the sugar crash and lethargy/mental burnout generally set in.

I am always up and moving around at least 2 hours before the match as well. Tripple checking everything and making sure that all of my gear is good to go and loaded into the truck.

I will start the day with a Monster but it goes down very slowly. Never more than half a can by the 3rd stage. I also keep lots of protien bars in my bag and no sugary stuff.

SUGAR IS THE DEVIL!!!

I usually drink Gatorade G2 during the match and if it's a 10-12 stage one day match, add a 5 hour energy drink during lunch. The enrgy drink just seems to keep me even, does not give me the jitters.

Up and about 2 hours before the match. warm up by doing body stretching for 15 to 30 mins.

light breakfast e.g. porridge then plain water

Stuff in my range bag : 1- 2 banana--rich in potassium to feed your muscles and aids in muscle contractility

bottled plain water with pinch of salt takes small sips

1 bottle of gatorade only takes small sips once feels thirsty

then small sips of plain water every now and then

Above recipe works well with my over all performance..keeps me more and more awake and focused finished the day still with energy reserved

There was a discussion of the new "5 hour energy drink" that is all the rage now. Consensus was: its a massive dose of B12.

Since then, I take 2 tablets of B12 & a regular multivitamin in the morning before work. Keeps me awake at the office after a sleepless night taking care of the little princess (10 months old now & still the best baby ever!).

As far as stimulants? Back when I drove interstate between courts, I used the ephedrine tablets they used to sell at truck stops; though I think its banned now. I also used to drink Mate tea back when I lived down south. THAT will wake you up!

I make an energy breakfast of Dates, pineapple, granola, apples, date crystals, regular plain yogurt and bananas. I eat this two hours before the match, and stay hydrated. I do not seem to lack energy, and can think clearly. Hasn't helped or hurt and it tastes great! I even have energy to mow the lawn when I get home. :)

I am kind of supprised no one has mentioned the greatest energy drink of them all...

Power Thirst.

Google it. some profanity...

Man I forgot all about that :roflol:

Thanks for reminding me :)

I've considered doing exactly the opposite. Beta blockers are good for stage fright and the tremor associate with that sympathetic nervous system release. I've used them before public performances playing the banjo, an instrument that doesn't tolerate shaky hands or poor fine motor control. That seems to correlate very closely to handgun shooting.

I've considered doing exactly the opposite. Beta blockers are good for stage fright and the tremor associate with that sympathetic nervous system release. I've used them before public performances playing the banjo, an instrument that doesn't tolerate shaky hands or poor fine motor control. That seems to correlate very closely to handgun shooting.

I used beta blockers briefly when my thyroid went gonzo. I seem to recall that you only have one speed and can't really crank when you need too. Field courses may be a tad less urgent than required. They may smooth things out a bit too much.

Later,

Chuck