Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Pro Chrono Digital First impressions

I had read so many posts about chronos that I thought I would never get around to making a choice. Well I did. I got a prochrono digital and was pleasantly surprised to see that many of the posts I read for some reason did not turn out to be a problem for me. I was timing the right time of day, the right amount of clouds, blah, blah, blah.

I put a battery in it and turned it on and guess what? It worked flawlessly. I set it in the bright sun. I put it under a roofed firing line. I used it at noon and at 5pm. I tried to make it not work and couldn't. I took a sharpie to blacken the bullet, not needed. My vlocities were for the most part pretty close to each other.

Someone posted that a chrono is like the missing piece of a puzzle when it comes to reloading. THAT IS A FACT!!! As a matter of fact unless my unit is way out of calibration or something I found that my M&P PRO needs a little more TG to make PF than some of the posted loads on here. I'll post my limited results in the 9mm section.

Don't be afraid, get a chrono! Now!

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

I got a Pro Chrono Digital and I love it so far. I've only had the chance to screw around with it and some .22 LR but it worked without a snag. It even reads pretty rapid fire without a problem.

I'm really looking forward to doing some tuning to my reloads. I feel as though I was blind before, but now I can see.

I keep meticulous records of chronographed ammo.

I always use a 22lr rifle and the same brand of ammo (sometimes the same batch for a very long time) to verify that the chronograph is within the velocity range I am expecting. This is critical if you have a high temperature difference during the year.

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm a dad who's son bought him a Pro Chrono Dig for Christmas. (Not related to gm iprod-- as far as I know)

I had borrowed a friends Chrony a couple of times and later found I had incorrect data.

The PC arrives Monday---anxious to test it and my loads.

• 2 months later...

This past weekend I was chrono'ed at a match with CED Chronos. There was only a .5 PF difference between their readings and mine. I would say that is as accurate as you could want or need.

• 6 months later...

We compared two pro chrono against a CED and the PC units read 1-2% higher than the CED.

My PCD is generally just a tad lower than match CED's. Less than a percent but lower none the less. This past weekend is the first time a CED has ever been lower than my PCD (.3 PF) I would say those findings justify buying a PCD.

I use the light bar set up indoor or outdoor(if there is power). Put shade over it if its direct sunlight. Mine was well within the SD of a known load with a CED M2.

Edited by DWFAN

I use the light bar set up indoor or outdoor(if there is power). Put shade over it if its direct sunlight. Mine was well within the SD of a known load with a CED M2.

Cool, thanks for the info. Since the club I shoot with is hosted at an indoor range that could be mighty handy.

Joe W.

The only thing i wish was an option, was to run the chrono off AC power (or to run the light bar off battery). Ive made two trips to the range only to find out my battery was dead. :wacko:

I guess thats the reason there is a spot for a spare battery in the battery compartment. :roflol:

• 4 weeks later...

I just got back from the range with my first shots through my new ProChrono digital. I am interfaced with my small laptop and everything worked flawlessly. I love the USB interface and tonight I will export the strings I shot today. I need to work through the learning curve with the pc program next. Dont know yet what I can export and what I cant. I shot 3 strings with 3.5 gr titegroup, 4.0 gr titegroup, and factory Fiochi hard ball. This is like coming out of the stone age using this. I have been trying to get a second hand Pact Pro working for the last 2 yrs.

• 2 weeks later...

I have NEVER had a single problem with mine...not a single round that didn't register no matter what the time of day or lighting conditions. Can't same the same of my PACT which is now gathering dust. I just wish the remote was a little cheaper.

Curtis