Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1/3 of the way through ATLAS SHRUGGED

Prophetic, I loved it. Also 2nd to the bible for me. A definite reread in the future.

Edited to say: Ayn Rand was not a believer and definitely not an espouser of religion. Just a note to anyone who would be put off about that and decide not to read it.

Edited by fourtrax

(RE: Shrugged) It's a powerful, magical book full of intellectual nuances that I think Hollywood would probably overlook or be forced to skip over in the name of condensing the whole story for the big screen AND making it palatable to the average theater-goer.

• 1 month later...

i read atlas in the mid 90s, just as i was beginning to develop my own political beliefs. i loved it, and consider it the best book i've ever read.

it's hard to see in this crappy pic, but here's the bumper sticker i have on my car.

(Where is John Galt)

post-3524-084688900 1288231243_thumb.jpg

Good book... Found Atlas in my late teens after reading

The Fountainhead for a lit class assignment and wanting to read more.

For my money, better they don't even try to make a movie of it. The treatment the Fountain Head got at the hands of Hollywood was bad enough. Besides, who out there these days with enough pull to get something made would agree with the ideas in the book anyway. I always thought that the prevailing mindset in that industry was more or less diametrically opposed to Ayn Rand's philosophical leanings.

Edited by caspian guy

• 2 weeks later...

As with Blackstone, most influential, after the Bible, for me. Read it at 24 or 25 and it changed me from a liberal to a conservative. I'd recommend reading The Fountainhead first, as primer. I read it three times through my 20s and 30s. Always struggled with the first 100 pages and have never made it all the way through the Radio Speech - I'd gotten the point by then. Really is frightening how prophetic it is.

I had always wanted to read it, but the size always put me off. Then I decided to get it in an UNABRIDGED audio version of it. I think it is a life changing book. (I did Fountainhead the same way). I talked my (then) 20yr old daughter into reading it. It was a life changer for her as well. When watching the news, or reading something online of current politics, she quite frequently says "Have these people never read Ayn Rand!!"

I am still working on my (now) 20 yr old son to listen/read it. No luck yet, but he is already pretty conservative.

Another good, short, read is this:

Rudyard Kipling

To save you a google search: Copy book headings - In old english schools they taught english, and more specifically penmanship with copy books - each page had a saying like "the wages of sin is death", and a student would copy this phrase over and over down the page.

I am in between books, and may just do "Atlas" again.

Mark K.

Edited by Mark K

I will admit to being a philistine so far.. I've been trying to get into atlas shrugged, but cant. last i looked i was about 80 or so pages into it and keep putting it down in favor of others. latest is a re-read of some Peter Hathaway Capstick. at this rate i'll be through with it by the time i hit 40. <_<

• 4 weeks later...