Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Slide Lock or Not

ateb74

I am a new shooter and first time poster in the Brunswick,Ga area. I have a question I shoot a Trojan 40 in single stack and wanted to know if I should shoot to slide lock or try to reload with a round in the chamber or does it even matter. Does it save time or not. Thanks for any help.

The best answer is: it depends.

I shoot primarily Production, and I avoid going to slide lock whenever I can...unless it is to my advantage.

For example, if I can engage a full array of targets and have two steps to my next shooting position, and going to slide lock will save me time, then that is the best strategy.

You just have to look at the stage and decide what will give you the best outcome.

Welcome to the forums :)

All other things being equal a slide lock reload will be slower than a non-slide lock reload. There are times when you're going to run the gun dry with a makeup shot, but single stack really needs to be shot like Virginia count if you want to do well. As PB suggested, if there's some situation where running the gun dry can help prevent a static reload, that might be a great time saver, but those aren't too common. Reload every time you move is a good way to approach SS....hard to go wrong doing that. R,

USPSA or IDPA. In IDPA a slide lock reload is faster than a mag change with retention- so I will often go that way (any mag with ammo hitting the ground is a procedural). In USPSA a slide lock reload means that I took an unplanned makeup shot....

Always try to avoid it, but shooting single stack - it is inevitable. You will find plenty of 9 round arrays, or ways that would make a stage cumbersome if you didn't. Learn to deal with it and you will be better off.

(on that note, check out my most recent YouTube video (

) for a match with lots of 9+ round arrays and slide lock :D - thanks Ben :rolleyes: (just kidding, I actually enjoyed the pain)) Edited by Dave Gundry

As a USPSA Single Stacker, and a new one (not yet a C), I shoot in 8 round or less strings. I always try to move to a new location with 9 rounds in the gun, even if it means dropping a mag with 3 or 4 rounds in it. For that reason, I carry 5 mags on my belt, and my Barney mag in a pocket in case I get into trouble.

If you're moving, reload. Come to every new position with 9 rounds in the gun. You'll do fine.