Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Steel Challenge

Precision40

Haven burnt out of USPSA I've decided to try the Steel Challenge and some other shooting sports. Going through the Steel Challenge Website I noticed a significant entry fee ($285) and was wondering why?

Is there a significant prize table? Not that it matters because I'll still go, just curious to hear from those who's been.

Although I've seen adds where the NRA claims the richest prize table for the Bianchi Cup, I believe the Steel Challenge is significantly larger, richer, and goes farther down the food chain. I'm sure someone with first hand knowledge will be along shortly.

I wonder too why some Wine cost $120 a bottle and some that is just fine with me only cost $15. Untill I tasted the $120 wine

I think <_< the match is like a good wine lots of care went in to developing it.

For me to shoot 3 guns in the match and my Wife shoots it too. + we pay a range fee to use the worm up area. Range fee for us is over $800 and I think we get a good value for the price.

Last year the prize table was way down than past years , but it was still good. In the past 9 years I don't think I ever came away from the match with less than what I started with. ;)

I don't think steel is a cure for burn out though

• 2 weeks later...

I shot in the Nationals at Titusville, FL this past weekend. This was my first try at the SC game. Shooting 3 entries was expensive, but worth every cent.

The prize table included, IIRC, 24 guns and enough stuff that, even with a 106th place finish, there were plenty of good prizes for me to choose from. I chose a package that consisted of $150 worth of Starline brass, a nice Safariland holster, a set of Hogue “Extreme” 1911 grips, a Warren/Sevigny sight set for Glocks and a Brownells aluminum bushing wrench. Plus, I had one of the winning tickets in the “Junior” raffle and won a S&W PC Jerry Miculek signature 627 revolver! Not a bad haul for a guy who’s best centerfire time was 167.84!!

I’ve been in competitive pistol shooting for over 35 years and have to say that this was the best run, smoothest, hassle-free match I’ve ever seen or heard of. Every administrator and RO was extremely friendly and helpful. Not a range Nazi in sight.

The weather forecast for Sunday was looking pretty bad, but things went so well they had time to run the awards ceremony and the prize table on Saturday.

Great match!!