Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Reloading 223 shortcut on 650?

Last_Mile2002

I've been reloading pistol calibers for a couple of years on a Dillon 650 and have good results.

Now, I'm starting to reload rifle rounds in .223 for my AR. From what I've gathered here, I need to tumble, size/decap on a single stage, trim to length, chamfer and then finally reload in my 650. This seems like a lot of work and I don't have a spare single stage press around.

I'm proposing this sequence and I'm asking for your feedback:

1. Tumble

2. Dump into the Dillion 650 case feeder.

3. Size and decap, but remove the round when it reaches the priming station pull it out and throw into a bucket.

4. When all the brass is sized, sit down with the bucket and trim to length using Possum Hollow case trimmer chucked into a drill. The trimmer indexes off of the case shoulder, so it is very fast. (accurate?) Throw into a second bucket.

5. Chamfer / deburr with the Possum Hollow chamfer/deburring tool.

6. Deburr primer crimps.

7. Dump processed brass into case feeder and load, much like pistol rounds on the 650.

Is there any fault to this process? I'm looking to reload ammo for 3-gun, not benchrest.

Last Mike wrote:

1. Tumble

3. Size and decap, but remove the round when it reaches the priming station pull it out and throw into a bucket.

4. When all the brass is sized, sit down with the bucket and trim to length using Possum Hollow case trimmer chucked into a drill. The trimmer indexes off of the case shoulder, so it is very fast. (accurate?) Throw into a second bucket.

6. Deburr primer crimps.

7. Dump processed brass into case feeder and load, much like pistol rounds on the 650.

This is how I would change it (my additions in red).

1. Tumble

2. Spray will Dillon case lube (or a homemade lanolin and alcohol substitute)

3. Dump into the Dillion 650 case feeder.

4. Size and decap with an RCBS X-sizer die with the mandrel screwed in the up position, do NOT, remove the round when it reaches the priming station because you do NOT have any primers in there in the first place. Keep cycling the press and just resize with the one toolhead equipped only with the RCBS X-sizer die. Allow the brass to exit the press just like normal..

5. When all the brass is sized, sit down with the bucket and trim to length using Possum Hollow case trimmer chucked into a drill. The trimmer indexes off of the case shoulder, so it is very fast. (accurate?) Throw into a second bucket.

6. Chamfer / deburr with the Possum Hollow chamfer/deburring tool.

7. Deburr primer crimps. (only required for once fired military NATO stamped brass)

8. Dump processed brass into case feeder and load with a second toolhead set up like this:

Station #1: empty NO die

Station #2: Primes and powder charges

Station #3: checks powder with Dillon sensor

Station #4: seats bullet (preferably with say a Redding or Hornady or Forster micrometer adjustable bullet seating die.

Station #5: use a Lee FCD to lightly crimp the case mouths into the bullet (some would say this is optional)

Loaded rounds exit off to the side like normal

9. Tumble the brass just long enough to knock off the residual case lube.

Go shoot!

When you gather up enough of that brass, then transfer the RCBS X sizer die to the second toolhead and then, yeah, you really can load them up like pistol ammo. NO trimming required.

If you go to RCBS.com, there is a video on that page that shows a cutaway of how the X die works.

You just have to keep track of which brass has been X-die'ed and trimmed already and which hasn't.

This Hornady Headspace Gage gadget comes in handy for determing how far back you are bumping your cases shoulders back, especially with the initial resizing.

You do NOT have to use the RCBS X-sizer die in the first toolhead. Any ol' full length decapping/resing die should work.

Just after the first firing after the first trimming as per the X-sizer die's instructions is when you need to use the X die with the mandrel screwed DOWN.

Welcome to the forums.

Edited by Chills1994

(edited out)

When you gather up enough of that brass, then transfer the RCBS X sizer die to the second toolhead and then, yeah, you really can load them up like pistol ammo. NO trimming required.

(edited out)

Welcome to the forums.

... as long as you do not get ANY other brass mixed in with your brass... :ph34r:

Welcome to BE land!

jj

Thanks for the info. It looks like reloading rifle is going to be a bit more involved than reloading pistol rounds. I like the idea of using the X-Die. I'm going to need a second toolhead. A second stand along single stage press may be in order.

I was going to just purchase a set of Dillon dies and start cranking out rounds. Your guidance saved me from a lot of trial and error.

• 4 weeks later...

Hmmm.

I'm just getting into this as well. Although, I think I'll just size with the X-Die on the single-stage press and then have the 650 set up as Chills describes. While I don't have the benefit of the case feeder for the sizing operation, I can use the existing equipment that I already own. Maybe later on I'll get another toolhead and go to town.

I've been reloading pistol calibers for a couple of years on a Dillon 650 and have good results.

Now, I'm starting to reload rifle rounds in .223 for my AR. From what I've gathered here, I need to tumble, size/decap on a single stage, trim to length, chamfer and then finally reload in my 650. This seems like a lot of work and I don't have a spare single stage press around.

I dont use a single stage press. For brass with a crimped primer I have a second toolhead with only a size/decapping die in station 1. dump the brass in the hopper and crank away. Do the primer pockets, switch heads and away I go. I check my length on each lot but seldom have found it neccessary to trim for a 5.56 Nato chamber. I do mostly use brass that has been fired only in my gun, not mil surplus machine gun brass.

• 1 month later...

5.56 toolhead #1 has two resizing dies.

I then run the cases through a Giraud case trimmer.

I have another 5.56 toolhead (#2) that has all dies except for the resizing die.

• 5 months later...
Last Mike wrote:
1. Tumble

6. Deburr primer crimps.

1. Tumble

4. Size and decap with an RCBS X-sizer die with the mandrel screwed in the up position, do NOT, remove the round when it reaches the priming station because you do NOT have any primers in there in the first place. Keep cycling the press and just resize with the one toolhead equipped only with the RCBS X-sizer die. Allow the brass to exit the press just like normal..

5. When all the brass is sized, sit down with the bucket and trim to length using Possum Hollow case trimmer chucked into a drill. The trimmer indexes off of the case shoulder, so it is very fast. (accurate?) Throw into a second bucket.

7. Deburr primer crimps. (only required for once fired military NATO stamped brass)

8. Dump processed brass into case feeder and load with a second toolhead set up like this:

Station #4: seats bullet (preferably with say a Redding or Hornady or Forster micrometer adjustable bullet seating die.

Station #5: use a Lee FCD to lightly crimp the case mouths into the bullet (some would say this is optional)

Go shoot!

If you go to RCBS.com, there is a video on that page that shows a cutaway of how the X die works.

You just have to keep track of which brass has been X-die'ed and trimmed already and which hasn't.

This Hornady Headspace Gage gadget comes in handy for determing how far back you are bumping your cases shoulders back, especially with the initial resizing.

You do NOT have to use the RCBS X-sizer die in the first toolhead. Any ol' full length decapping/resing die should work.

Just after the first firing after the first trimming as per the X-sizer die's instructions is when you need to use the X die with the mandrel screwed DOWN.

Welcome to the forums.

This is just what I needed, thanks for posting Chills, but I do have a couple of Q's, after processing the brass are we supposed to tumble first then load on tool head 2? and after the first processing we can load like pistol do you still have to lube the cases?

IMHO you don't need the powder check for most rifle calibers. At least with 223 or 308 there really isn't any extra room in the case with most loads I have tried....

Last Mike wrote:
1. Tumble

6. Deburr primer crimps.

1. Tumble

Go shoot!

Welcome to the forums.

This is just what I needed, thanks for posting Chills, but I do have a couple of Q's, after processing the brass are we supposed to tumble first then load on tool head 2? and after the first processing we can load like pistol do you still have to lube the cases?

I'd like to add that the RCBS X-Die is to be used AFTER the brass has been resized on a FL sizing die, trimmed to minimum trim length, loaded, and fired. The X-Die does not prevent you from trimming completely, you still have to trim the first go-round.