Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.38 special / 1000 fps load

Trader

I am trying to load .38 special 125 gr. lead flat point to 1000-1030 fps. I only have WW 231 and Titegroup on hand. This is out of a 6 inch 686. Does any one know what the powder charge would be? I have no chrono so I have to guess or ask.

The manuals I have on hand only mention jacketed loads. I prefer WW 231 over the Titegroup if I can.

Thank you.

the only cast load data I see that listing those combinations of components is is Lasercast manual and it shows you cant safely do it. Lyman lists a 121 gr cast +p load as a max charge 5.4 grs at 1036. Granted I imagine most medium and large frame revolvers can handle alot more presseure than Sammi max for 38 special but thats your call. You'll have to go outside any other published data I have. I'd suggest it would be much easier with a slower powder like Unique which would probably be about ideal in your 6" barrel

First thing you need is /are reloading manuals.

You won't make 1000fps safely with TiteGroup. 3.8 is the max and you may get 985fps.

231, on the other hand, may give you 1000fps from your gun.

The load range is 3.8gr (876fps) to 4.8gr (1071fps).

These are from Hodgdon's relaoding annual.

You will need to work up to the desired velocity.

Actually Hodgdon lists up to 5.0 g of Titegroup under a 125 gr. XTP (i.e., a JHP) in their separate section of 38+P loads (which obviously will not do any harm to a 686). I use 5.2 g Titegroup w/a 125 gr JHP (Montana Gold) for 1050 fps from a 4" 627; it's very consistent and accurate.

With a 6" barrel and a lead bullet, you should be safely over a thousand fps at 5.0g. Because of gun-to-gun variation, I wouldn't try to cut it any lower than that if you're needing to legitimately make a power factor for competition without being able to chrono your load. The only caveats would be that lead and Titegroup are a little bit smokey together, and your barrel is going to get messy quick if you're using swaged (rather than hard cast) bullets.

Don't have any w231 data to help with, sorry.

Actually Hodgdon lists up to 5.0 g of Titegroup under a 125 gr. XTP (i.e., a JHP) in their separate section of 38+P loads (which obviously will not do any harm to a 686). I use 5.2 g Titegroup w/a 125 gr JHP (Montana Gold) for 1050 fps from a 4" 627; it's very consistent and accurate.

With a 6" barrel and a lead bullet, you should be safely over a thousand fps at 5.0g. Because of gun-to-gun variation, I wouldn't try to cut it any lower than that if you're needing to legitimately make a power factor for competition without being able to chrono your load. The only caveats would be that lead and Titegroup are a little bit smokey together, and your barrel is going to get messy quick if you're using swaged (rather than hard cast) bullets.

Don't have any w231 data to help with, sorry.

Sorry, but you have the wrong bullets. We are talking about lead not jacketed as stated in the first post.

quote]

Sorry, but you have the wrong bullets. We are talking about lead not jacketed as stated in the first post.

The reason that most lead bullet load data maxes out at 1000 fps or so is

not pressure. It's barrel leading. You can easily load a hard cast or plated bullet to low jacketed data. Add a gas check and you can bump it up some more. On the other end of the equation, a

soft swaged bullet may cause forcing cone and barrel leading at lead bullet starting load levels.

To the OP----buy a chrono. Doesn't have to be fancy, a Chrony F1 is around $80

on sale, maybe cheaper. Sounds like you are loading for minor power factor. If you

go under 125 and get chrono'd at a major match, you are just shooting

for fun---and it REALLY isn't fun!

Trader if you live in Arizona I'd be happy to lend you one of my chronos for your testing. It's the best investment you can make when you get a chance but hopefully someone near you will share theirs.

Thats very nice of you, AzShooter but living in Arizona is only a dream I have about 4 times a week.

I am going to load 5.1 grains WW 231 with the 125 gr LFP and hope for 1000 fps. If I get caught short , I will bump it up a tenth at a time.

Thanks again.