Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

230gr. lead truncated bullets

Wanted

Ok, I have some 230gr. lead truncated bullets. these are homemade by a guy. I can't find any published data im my manuals or on line. Now I set the OAL at 1.25, nope, wouldn't chamber. I re-seated to 1.20, chambered fine, headspace looks good. So now I'm looking at load data. I averaged out the lightetest I could find for that weight bullet.

Unique 5.2 gr

231 4.5 gr

TG 4.2 gr

Any thoughts?

Ok, I have some 230gr. lead truncated bullets. these are homemade by a guy. I can't find any published data im my manuals or on line. Now I set the OAL at 1.25, nope, wouldn't chamber. I re-seated to 1.20, chambered fine, headspace looks good. So now I'm looking at load data. I averaged out the lightetest I could find for that weight bullet.

Unique 5.2 gr

231 4.5 gr

TG 4.2 gr

Any thoughts?

Doesn't sound right will not chamber at 1.250 What gun?

BK

Kimber Custom II, When I took the barrel out and dropped one in the chamber it was above the top maybe a couple of hundredths . Let me clarify. I'm not using proper termanology. Not headspace, but when I do a drop test test in the removed barrel, they fit good and are flush with the hood.

Edited by Wanted

I don't shoot lead but here is some info from Hodgdon. I load long with FMJ 1.260 that is were I would start.

NEVER EXCEED MAXIMUM LOADS

230 GR. LRN Hodgdon Titegroup .452" 1.200" 4.0gr 751 12,500 CUP 4.8gr 855 17,000 CUP

230 GR. LRN Hodgdon Clays .452" 1.200" 3.5gr 716 13,700 CUP 4.0gr 793 16,800 CUP

BK

wanted,

I never had a 45acp that wouldn't chamber a round if the rounds fit in the magazine. Still, its possible that the barrel is short chambered. However, if the rounds drop in the chamber when you check them with the barrel out of the gun they should work, unless you have a feeding problem. Are you taper crimping?

Bkeeler's load data is good for Clays, although you can use data for a 230 gr cast round nose bullets for the 230 grain truncated bullets.

Generally speaking, it takes 3.7 to 3.8 grains of Clays to make major with a 230 cast bullet. With WW 231 you might need 4.7 to 4.8 grains. All depends on the particular gun....

• 2 weeks later...

Trunacated Cone Profile seats shorter than same weight Round Nose.

Thats been my experience too, sounds like your chamber might be on the short side...but then again I guess mine was too.

1.200 should serve fine.

Edited by Hany

I did get around to shooting some of these. OAL was 1.200, I used Win231 and Unique. The loads with 5.4 grns. of Unique were the ones I liked best. No function problems, accurate and less smoke.

Trunacated Cone Profile seats shorter than same weight Round Nose. I least that is what I have experienced. Maybe others with chime in along these same lines.

+1, had the same problem with 147 grain in 9mm, not a 1911 though

Unique 5.2 gr

231 4.5 gr

TG 4.2 gr

Any thoughts?

I load this bullet at 1.240. Works in all my 45s.

I too am using a home-grown cast 230 LTC. I loaded them to 1.200 because that appeared to be SOP from a mix of manuals and bullets, though I didn't have data specific to the LTC. Haven't had any feed or reliability issues in my CQB. 3.7 Clays makes major very comfortably (and I've been doing my chrono-ing at 25-30 degrees f.) and with good accuracy.

• 2 weeks later...

The bearing surface of the truncated cone bullet is longer than on a round nose bullet. Hence, they must be loaded shorter to fully seat.

My powder recommendations are 3.7 to 3.9gr Clays, 3.7 to 3.9gr N-310, 4.2 to 4.4 gr American Select or Winchester Super Target. These powders all work well with lead.

Chris

Truncated cone bullets are not loaded to the same length as other bullets of the same weight. You determine the correct length for that particular bullet by seating it such that the edge of the shoulder is just barely past the mouth of the case.

Exactly as you load an H&G 68, so the lead shoulder just "shields" the case mouth from the feed ramp.

Whatever that length is, it is. If, at that length the bullet does not feed well, then you either abandon using that bullet, or you get the gun worked on. No other choices.

As for powder, the classic advice applies: start low, work up, use a chronograph.

Unique 5.2 gr

231 4.5 gr

TG 4.2 gr

Any thoughts?

Have some TC 230 Master Blasters. Load to 1.245 - work just fine in my Kimber.

Clays 4.0

OAL 1.245

PF 177 ( at last years SS NTLS )