Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

ported/compensated 625

colbyjack

A Compensator is a multi-baffled vertical port that only works effectively under higher pressures like a 38 Super. Any 45 at 165 PF will not work a compensator as well as say a .357. 45s simply do not create enough pressure to effectively work a comp unless you wish for a really hot load with massive recoil at your wrist.

Porting a revolver barrel does nothing but lower the speed of the bullet by allowing gas to vent before the bullet reaches the end of the barrel, the actual "jet action" from gasses forced upward is minimal at best. BTW, porting or compensator moves you to Open Class in USPSA, even with a 6 shot revo.

Porting is usually around $100. One of my 5" 625s is Magnaported. I can't tell any difference from the ones that aren't.

I don't think 45 ACP pressures are high enough to make comps or porting do anything.

was thinking of having clark or who ever do a 460 rowland conversion for deer hunting. unless anyine here can do it, or give me step bu step of how to do the conversion ourselves.

i run a 189 PF now in .45acp not sure what the FPS or PF is on the 460 but i heard it has some gases... any tips or advise will be appreciated. thanks -chris

Why not just buy a gun already chambered for a cartridge that is suitable for hunting?

A .44 Mag would be great, as would a .45 Colt loaded accordingly. I own and hunt with a 460 XVR. A bit overkill, but the neat factor is way up there.

If you want to hunt deer with your 625, just load up some heavy "pin loads" and choose your shots carefully.

A .460 Rowland conversion? Nah, it won't do anything to make the gun stronger, it's just a chamber ream. Whatever your gun can handle with Rowland brass it can handle in ACP brass.

You should be able to safely drive a 255-gr. hard cast SWC or a jacketed 250-gr. XTP at about 1000 fps out of a modern .45 revolver. Start with 6.0 grains of Unique and work up carefully, checking for pressure signs, to around 7.0 or so.

I'd forget about comping or porting the gun--even with those more potent loads, it's still not generating enough gas to really drive a comp, and porting is pretty much horseshit, as others above have noted.

Edited by Carmoney

Porting u mean drilling holes in the barrel?

Yeah.

Porting, particularly for standard handgun cartridges that don't generate large amounts of gas pressure, has very little impact on anything, other than lightening up your wallet.

Edited by Carmoney

A comp would probably work with a very light bullet (150 gr. or so) driven fast 1100 fps or more. That load wouldn't be good for much except USPSA but reloads would be a B...H! Used a load like that in a .45 comp. SS @ 175+ pf in USPSA before Hi Caps were invented.

FWIW

Richard

I snt my 625 off for magnaporting before I knew better.

the club i shoot with is unaffiliated and only optics are

dissallowed. when the gun broke and I borrowed a

stock 625 (pf 170) i ended up shooting my best match

ever. Now of course my gun ported puts me in open

class anywhere else. I wouldnt port another 625.

Not to hijack a thread with a porting VS not porting discussion...But Porting is more than drilling holes in the barrel. It is better to use a venturi style cut as is on the picture in Tom M.'s picture in a different thread. On one Revo the opening at top is larger than the opening at the bottom. Escaping gasses out the port does not push down it is the equal and opposite reaction of the escaping gasses that pushes against the area it comes out. For a little experiment take a tube and a ping pong ball. Set the ball ot the end of tthe tube and exhale through the tube. The ball shoots up. Now put a funnel at the end of the tube, put the ball in the tube and exhale with the same force. The ball does not come out ..due to the downward force of the reaction? That is the theory. The ports should cut down muzzle flip not recoil, the rearward motion. I have though never seen a port on the 45 revo. Though I am not saying it will not work but very little volume of escaping gases may have an determination. I have ports...[b]and Cookies!!![/b]. YMMV. So push conventional wisdom... Many learned men had done studies and experiments and decided that man couild not physically run a mile in less than four minutes...Darn that Roger Banister for proving them wrong... later rdd :cheers:

ETA LInk to picture. See post 19.Looky Here Maybe Tom can give some insight on which "feels" better using the same ammo , if that is possible. later...agin.. rdd

Edited by Bubber

Bubber, great informative post, best one I've seen to date.

I use porting and like it, but I shoot lighter bullets than most (125 grns)

My first pin gun was a 610 ported by Weigand (tapered venturi ports designed by Wil Shuman IIRC)

porting reduced the muzzle flip but did nothing to reduce recoil, didn't add to the recoil, just changed

it's feel I guess.

Had a 5 inch 44 mag that was Magnaported, and as others have said, it does very little or nothing at all.

Saw a litte less muzzle rise with 185 grn magnum loads but the punishment from 240 grn mag loads

I couldn't tell squat :surprise:

Now on my 627 38 super revo, 95 grn boolits at 1100 fps !! the porting works pretty neat :goof:

If you want to hunt deer with your 625, just load up some heavy "pin loads" and choose your shots carefully.

A .460 Rowland conversion? Nah, it won't do anything to make the gun stronger, it's just a chamber ream. Whatever your gun can handle with Rowland brass it can handle in ACP brass.

You should be able to safely drive a 255-gr. hard cast SWC or a jacketed 250-gr. XTP at about 1000 fps out of a modern .45 revolver. Start with 6.0 grains of Unique and work up carefully, checking for pressure signs, to around 7.0 or so.

I'd forget about comping or porting the gun--even with those more potent loads, it's still not generating enough gas to really drive a comp, and porting is pretty much horseshit, as others above have noted.

I also believe there is nothing to gain with .460 over regular .45 ACP brass. If memory serves me, the bullet is seated to the same OAL as ACP. The longer brass is just to keep the .460 out of your pappys old 1911 .45, sort of like the .357 is longer than the .38. You could seat the bullet out further for more case capacity, but that is uncharted waters and potentially exceeding the 625's pressure limits IMO. Starline has claimed to do some different heat treating and such to the brass to make it stronger, but I'm not buying it. Especially in a fully supported 625 chamber.

Edited by 20nickels

so who besides clark custom or can anyone here cut my cylender to a .460 rowland and what will ya charge me? -chris

Colbyjack, I am not up on the 460 but I did take my 686 357 and had it cut for 38 super and later bought a 38 super reamer and did my old 8 shot 38 to 38 super myself. I don't know how it affect moonclips. I did a search on Google on the 460 conversion and all I saw qwa on the 1911 platform. Shoot me a pm and I can see if I can find my stuf onthe conversion that Rick did on my 38 super conversion. later rdd

Doing the conversion and using 460R brass will help to avoid getting the wrong load into the wrong gun by mistake. Assuming you have any other 45's... especially older ones that would find it rather objectionable. The AOL is the same, but the longer brass may also add a little more neck tension to help to hold the crimp under the added recoil.

Edited by cas

That 255 LSWC Carmony mentioned? I've taken it to 1100 fps with no adverse signs, using 45AR brass, from a 4" 625. I don't shoot a ton of them--it's a lot funner at 900--but it'll kill anything that needs killing in my part of the world. Certainly shoot through any deer longways. And the 45AR brass from starline is a lot easier/cheaper way to avoid sticking your high power loads in the wrong gun.

Edited by ChristopherG