Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Should I go production or single stack?

ICEMAN28

newb question here; Will shooting .45 put me at a large disadvantage to someone shooting 40s&w or 10mm?

No.

Newbie response for a newbie question - depends on your goals, and this is just my way of looking at it, right or wrong. If you are looking at competing with people in production and shoot .45 in production - answer is depends on how you are with it - as production scores all minor anyway. If you shoot .45 like Jim shoots 9mm - what disadvantage is there? Mag capacity? It seems to all about sight tracking and calling your shot, if the sight comes back and you make your hits in the same time - the biggest disadvantage is that you will be paying more per trigger pull.

If your goals are to learn to shoot single stack as well as possible, then it doesn't matter if someone is shooting 9mm or 40 - your goals are yours, and despite what the other person does - you should know whether you are improving or not. Ultimately, I personally want to be able to pick up any firearm and be proficient enough to shoot them all well. I just finished shooting Glock 34 in production for 6 mos. I'm going to shoot some single stack as i'm moving to 1911 carry, and I want to be proficient with that weapon. Sooner or later, probably in 6-12 mos. I'll be making the choice to do limited or open, and I've not thought about it all that much, but I'm in love with the custom 2011 (probably a Bedell) in 40 or 9 Major.

I'm still going to run production with my G34 and work on that as well, so depending on what my goals are - I'll work on that - but I'm personally not going to worry about major vs. minor scoring. We should be shooting all A's anyway, right? :)

-Ken

I am a new shooter, well new to IPSC, and I'm wondering whats a better division to start out on?

I do shoot my 1911 better then my glock

I'd start out SS if thats the case, but thats just me.

• 1 month later...

I especially like SS because it forces you to look at course strategy creatively... hitting those reloads on the move is a time saver. Doing it different because you can't stand and hose makes you a better shooter, IMHO, because now you are forced to do moving reloads and/or shooting on the move or you kill your time doing standing reloads.

Not to mention it is a division purely for the old-school guns that started the sport and have been in service for 98 years. :cheers:

Don't loose a lot of sleep trying to decide which one to shoot, just get to a match and get started. Both are great divisions, go with what you have and don't delay. After a match or two you'll probably want to change something anyway, whether it be sights, holster, belt, etc. Listen to more experienced competitors and observe them. Ask questions, soak in the answers and reflect. Pretty soon you'll know what changes will benefit from most, and what division will be your best fit.

We have a tendancy to squad with a group that have friendly rivalries, so even though several of us shoot multiple divisions over the course of time, we often try to compete at club matches in the same division. It makes for some good ribbing and good fun.

I guess in all that rambling the point I am trying to make is don't agonize over what division to compete in, just compete.

I am a new shooter, well new to IPSC, and I'm wondering whats a better division to start out on?

I do shoot my 1911 better then my glock 19, and I also already have all the gear I need to shoot single stack.

I started out shooting a Glock 17 and did pretty well using it as a hoser, but I later switched over to 1911 and have never looked back. To me, once you've experienced that trigger on top of the requirement that you make each shot count due to half the magazine capacity as a production piece... well, anything else just seems a little wanting. (This will hold true until I get my fantasy 2011, of course!!!)

Something else that I like about shooting Single Stack--and I'll apologize right now if this offends folks in other divisions--is that SS (and probably Iron Sight Revolver) is a division that really levels the playing field, because everybody is for all practical purposes using the same gun and the same rig. When somebody beats you in Single Stack, you can't blame it on "well, he's shooting a polymer 9mm Glock 34C from a DOH, and I'm using an all steel .45acp Ruger from a high riding IDPA holster" or anything like that. In SS, come one come all, it's a big ol' 1911 coming off the same position on the hip.

I started out shooting a Glock 17 and did pretty well using it as a hoser, but I later switched over to 1911 and have never looked back. To me, once you've experienced that trigger on top of the requirement that you make each shot count due to half the magazine capacity as a production piece... well, anything else just seems a little wanting. (This will hold true until I get my fantasy 2011, of course!!!)

Something else that I like about shooting Single Stack--and I'll apologize right now if this offends folks in other divisions--is that SS (and probably Iron Sight Revolver) is a division that really levels the playing field, because everybody is for all practical purposes using the same gun and the same rig. When somebody beats you in Single Stack, you can't blame it on "well, he's shooting a polymer 9mm Glock 34C from a DOH, and I'm using an all steel .45acp Ruger from a high riding IDPA holster" or anything like that. In SS, come one come all, it's a big ol' 1911 coming off the same position on the hip.

Production guns hold only 2 more rounds than single stack (exactly the same if you shoot 9mm in SS, which is almost universally considered a disadvantage), scoring minor makes each shot in Production count as well, Glock 34C are illegal in Production, mags and holsters come from pretty much the same place, and if you think a DOH is the reason you lost to a Glock, well...

Production guns hold only 2 more rounds than single stack (exactly the same if you shoot 9mm in SS, which is almost universally considered a disadvantage), scoring minor makes each shot in Production count as well, Glock 34C are illegal in Production, mags and holsters come from pretty much the same place, and if you think a DOH is the reason you lost to a Glock, well...

<_< Okay, I saw this coming when I was typing the post--hence the apology at the start. My point isn't to accurately list all the variables that can come up amongst competing Production shooters, but to point out that the amount of variables is less in Single Stack, and even more so if you shoot CDP in IDPA.

My point isn't to accurately list all the variables that can come up amongst competing Production shooters, but to point out that the amount of variables is less in Single Stack...

But the variables (if you list real variables) really aren’t less, at least not to any meaningful degree.

From my prospective, shoot a gun that makes you happy. I could have bought a gun that was easier to modify, or was cheaper or had easier to obtain accessories, heck all of the above even. I picked the gun that I wanted to shoot though. Shoot the gun that you enjoy shooting. If you have all the gear and you like shooting your Colt, then shoot it everything else will work itself out.

just to put the bug in our Original Poster's ear... how many rounds can a Glock 19 mag hold? You can always shoot Limited at Minor PF too and NOT be too worried about having to do a reload between each array in a medium to long-ish field course. Said another way, IMO, it gives you more time or more of a chance to concentrate on the shooting vs. the reloading.

Edited by Chills1994

Wow I shoot a little of everything equally poorly but I have a lot of fun. I consider single stack to be one of the hardest things to shoot, but enjoy my 45, it is hard because of the reloads, I have 14 mags for the gun pack 6 on the belt one in the back pocket *top off" start with one from the front pocket. That said not too many have all the equipment for SS.

My advice would be to get out to a match run your glock in limited don't worry about the score just see if you like it. If you like it and learn something then back it down to production, like that back it down to single stack. Production takes a min of 4 mags and I like having 6 at major matches. In limited if you can pony up with 15 or more you can get by with 3 mags.

Always step to the line with one more mag than you think you could ever need, things happen in matches and a mag can turn into a baby rattle right in the middle of your best stage ever.

Good Luck and have fun. Remember hits count so shoot only as fast as you can make hits.

Some times I think that deciding which division to shoot is like deciding what you are going to be when you grow up, I'm 60 haven't figured it out yet. I like them all, just like to shoot. I have not done Revo but may try it soon.