Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1911 for SS Play AND LE Work

ChristopherG

Check out the Dan Wesson 1911's.

Springfield also makes some nice 1911's in that price range.

I second Jake's suggestions to check out the Dan Wesson and Springfield 1911's both very good guns. I would give the DW a slight edge on fit and a slight edge to Springfield on plain reliability and customer service. (Not that the folks at CZ aren't great too :cheers: )

Chris

I'm now a Deputy Sheriff in a department that will allow me to carry either a Glock (currently a 35) or a 1911. I haven't shot 1911's much, and don't yet own one, but believe it will be the platform of preference for me.

Glock. Seriously.

-br

I like 1911's and have always owned one or two. Most reliable one I ever had was a GI Remington Rand 1911A1 without any modifications. Changes to Government models have been fun and probably improved match performance but nothing any gunsmith ever did to my guns made them more reliable than that one.

Boats

I love my 1911s and I shoot them exclusively in IDPA and USPSA. Having said this, I would recommend you stick with the glock if you are used to it.

Besides the increased training that it wil take to get use dto the 1911, I think you should consider the excellent relaibilty of the glock. 1911s are great guns and they are cool, but honestly the 1911 as an ultra reliable duty gun especially for uniformed carry is more of an exception than something to be relied on.

I shoot a 1911 because I can shoot it fast and fairly accuratley. It's a great match gun. Nearly all the people who compete extensivley with them have invested alot of time and money to get their guns to be reliable enough for match shootiing. When my 1911s fail or break, they get repaired or replaced at my conveniance. If you get caught with a feedway stoppage in a real situation it could be a very bad deal. also many of the very good shooters I know admit that if they had to rely on a gun purley for defense/LE or combat it would be a Glock (and these are M class and one GM I know personally).

I also know a pretty experienced combat veteran and highly traveled LE weapons instructer who told me that in the case of weapon retention (wrestling full on against an attacker) the grip safety on a 1911 can really pose a problem to LE trying to retain and fire a 1911 when someone has teo hands on your pistol, as in shooting the bad guy off of you.

Im not an HK pistol fan, but these guns are also super reliable for your LE needs. Berettas, SIGs are also very reliable guns that can be shot well in matches (not the best match guns, but very reliable)

The glock would be very hard for you to beat for an LE gun.

Also while there are plenty of SF types carrying 1811s as a second weapon, the glock is also very preferred among a very high percentage of guys in elite units. Remember these people primarily have an M4 or an AK as there primary weapon to begin with.

User maintence for a glock is a snap at all levels. with a 1911 you get into fitting parts that will wear out eventually and then need replacement.

If I was an LE I would carry a Glock 21 with might sights and shoot it in matches as well. I have one and it is a great pistol.

The SW MP auto also seems to be a really great dual purpose gun, but I have no personal experience with them

Do you carry a back up also? A glock alleviates the need for diffferent/extra mags. My duty weapon will be a glock if I have the choice simply for the fact that a backup will not require different mags.

Either will work. I love and shoot both the glocks and 1911 style guns.

Hey, I appreciate the honest feedback from folks that think the Glock is the right way to go--and you know, they may absolutely be right. I have shot Glocks enough over several years to have great respect for their durability and reliability. I am an IDPA RO and have thus been able to benefit from watching many other people's guns run, or not run, as well; and I know Glocks run.

It may be--and these posts are helping me to prepare to come to terms with this--that a 1911 will prove to be better suited as a recreational and competitive gun than a duty weapon for me. Fortunately, I can afford to purchase one, give it a try, and find out (the department supplied my Glock; a 1911 will be on my own dime). If I do decide to carry the 1911 as a primary patrol weapon, I may still keep the Glock 35 for use on our Special Response Team, which I hope to be able to join in the next year or so (i.e. when going into scenarios where round count is more likely to be an issue).

Great feedback and suggestions, all. Thanks again.

• 2 weeks later...

Bringing this one back up just to give it some closure.

Bought a slightly used Wilson CQB w/rail from a Deputy in an adjacent county (black slide/green frame). I love the gun and have enjoyed the few rounds I've put through it so far immensely. I'll spend a couple months shooting it recreationally and in a couple of comps before I talk to our firearms guy about getting qualified with it. Meantime, lots and lots of drawstrokes from that Safariland 6280, and lots of dryfire!

Thanks again for the advice!