Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tips for Newbies

G-ManBart

A have learned a ton by watching and questioning. Several points have stuck well enough to write them down.

1) 1 for 1 for 1 for 1,etc. Ratio of sight picture to target.

2) Some targets deserve more respect than others. Slow down on the smaller and farther ones, even the fast guys do this.

3) keep your pistol out of the ports. That extra 12 inches closer to the target is not worth the extra movement and potential misfeed when your slide hits the barricade.

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am a newbie but have progress rather quickly by....Find the best shooters and shoot with then any chance you get. You can pick up little thing from a good shooter that may take you years to figure out on your own. Ask questions. Most shooters love to share and help others. Start with the basic stuff like drawing your gun, grip, reloads, and trigger press. Practice this stuff so you dont have to think about it. Make shure some one shows you the right way to do all this before you start. Practice makes permenant not perfect.

• 3 weeks later...

I may be the newest of the newbies (you can still smell the plastic wrapper) and I have to say that the OP made some great points, and has had some wonderful additions along the way. My question is quite simply; should one take the RO exam early because they are less "tainted" by years of living under less than best practices and following that early influence, or because it is a powerful teaching tool? Thank you so much and I look forward to meeting some of you in the bull pen.

I would take the RO course only when:

You already have a good grasp of the sport and the rules.

You are ready to actually RO matches and shooters. While taking an RO course does make you a better competitor by making you much more familiar with the rulebook and procedures, that is not the intent. The intent is to produce RO's to run shooters at all levels of matches.

• 4 months later...

GREAT topic! I might as well, add my 2 cents into the awesome amount of informative info, flowing from the thread. (I just hope that some of mine may be useful to somebody that is new to the sport)

1. We run very busy matches at the two local clubs, that do host, USPSA matches in our area, and the BEST advice that I can give new shooters, is this: Get there EARLY and help build stages! We have watched many folks sit around shooting the breeze, while, the same ten people, are out there, building ALL of the, sometimes, rather large stages. If you get there and help out, you learn how the stages are built, which can help you in learning how to "see" the stage, and shoot it better. That being said, when the day is done - STAY AND HELP BREAK DOWN! Unless you are suffering from heat stroke or your significant other, is threatening your very existence, if you are not home by a certain time, then there is absolutely no reason for you, to not stick around, and help to break down the stages. I have heard many times " i'm outta here, I've paid my match fees, I don't have to do anything else". And THAT, is just wrong. Our builders and stage designers all volunteer, they do what they do, because of the love of the sport. The Match Directors, do not have to keep holding the matches for the "spoiled shooters". I'm sorry but I really get tired of hearing people complain about start times, late running matches (the list could go on and on), when the very people that are complaining, are the very same folks that sit and do nothing. As a shooter that has a disability, I cannot help out with the building of stages. BUT, my Husband is the person that is in charge of Registration at our club, and I try to help him out when I can with the shooters or with new shooters that have questions about divisions and equipment and such,,,,I also know that the directors at our matches, have also been begging for stage designers, so if you think that you can design a stage, don't be shy, sketch something out, and have a go at it. I know a few folks that love to get the positive feedback on their stages (these guys have a knack for it, and I will not hesitate to let them know when a stage is really fun to shoot). Okay off of my soap box, and onto what I found was important learning tools for me when I started out.

2. If you don't have a rule book yet, download one at USPSA.com! Read it and LEARN as much as you can possibly remember. Keep a copy of the rules with you in your bag, or make sure that you can access it from a portable device. If there is a challenge of a rule, it helps to know what the rule in question IS. Knowing what you are talking about, helps. And by learning the rules, you can go right to the book, and find out, what it was that actually happened that caused the question in the first place. I suggest doing this once a year, because the rules change, and by keeping up with the rules, you are keeping up with what is or may be, changing in your sport.

3. BEFORE shooting a stage: It may sound silly, but, if the RO does not give me the "Load And Make Ready (aka: the"LAMR" command), I ASK. Sometimes, I will have an RO say "Going Hot", but not give me the command,,,so I ask, if it is okay to handle my firearm. I like to know that the RO is watching, and ready for me to start, by asking if it's okay to LAMR. So, don't touch that gun until the RO says that it's okay to do so. When I am FINISHED with the stage: I make sure to take the time, to SHOW a CLEAR gun to the RO. The commands are very well known by people that have been shooting. There is a standard set of commands, at the end of a stage: 1.If the shooter is finished, UNLOAD and SHOW CLEAR (SHOW the RO your EMPTY GUN), if CLEAR, *Hammer down and Holster. I may be totally off base here but, I just don't understand why some shooters feel that these commands, are a "speed race". I've watched while the RO is trying to go thru the commands, the shooter has already racked the slide, catches the bullet out of the air, and holsters the gun, in one fell swoop,, IMO,,,how is the RO (who is ultimately the one that is responsible if that gun is not clear) supposed to SEE clear if the shooter is going thru all of the motions, before the RO can even get the commands out? Really,,,what's the rush? Another very important thing that was taught to me, is that, after I have finished a stage, when going to the hammer down command, ALWAYS point the gun AT THE BERM. If by chance there IS a round in the chamber,,,the BERM is where it NEEDS to LAND, (not in front of you into the ground or in the air). You'll be going home a bit early, but at least the AD that caused you to be DQ'd, will have at least landed, where it is supposed to go. Remember, "Safety First", is ALWAYS the the standard, that all of the USPSA shooters strive for, so make sure that you absolutely LISTEN to the RO, and every command that they give you, while you are under their watch.

4. Next up a hint that was given to me by a fantastic shooter and friend, while at my first major match, and it STUCK because it makes sense. So I will pass it on: As a right handed shooter, I always try to start every stage if possible, from the left ( and this applies to lefties by starting from the Right side IF it is possible, which is not always the case for lefties) -BUT, By starting on the left side of the stage, moving to the right as you shoot, at some point a reload may be needed, if you are moving to the right, then your gun is pointing down range for that reload. This helps to alleviate, ANY chance of a 180 break, during a mag change, because it is being done in your natural hand position, for a reload. I have seen stages set up where, there is no choice but to load with your gun in a, "less than optimal position", when doing a mag change, from the right. Please remember to: WATCH YOUR GUN POSITION when loading while moving to the LEFT, this is a very easy way to get sent home.

5. "Pet Peeve time" When I'm doing a walk thru, I like all of the other shooters, have a round count, that we are trying to figure out. Just remember that not everybody is shooting Production, L-10, (or worse yet those annoying "Revo Dudes"-LOL) - TRY (I know that it's difficult to do), but TRY,, to keep YOUR round counts, to yourself. Hearing "Two, Four, Six (etc), out loud, can sort of mess with the round count that a Limited or Open shooter, may have in their heads, so try and keep your "Plan" in your head or at least do it quietly. Oh,,while I am at the "walk-thru" stage of tips, here is a little secret: DON'T offer to "help" another shooter on a stage, unless they ask specifically, for your help or advice - especially if you are new at the game. However don't hesitate to ask for help if YOU feel that you need it! But, try and find a shooter in the same division that you are shooting in,,,this will be especially helpful with the stage breakdown, and round count help. A Limited or Open shooter is not going to be taking the stage, the same way a Production shooter will be doing it, so asking them for help, may not be the best way for you to get the most out of your quest for help, on that stage.

6. Next up (another Pet Peeve) And it's the "Loud Crowd" behind the shooter that is getting ready. When a shooter is making ready for the stage - Please at least TRY and be courteous to the shooter on the line/in the box, by at least trying to take your conversation, to an area AWAY from the starting line. Here is why - when the shooter is getting ready to start, they have a lot of things going thru their heads, The stage breakdown, etc, but the hardest problem that I have with the "loud Crowd" is trying to make out the voice of the RO over the other shooters. It's especially hard because we have our backs to everybody, and the only thing that we are TRYING to hear is, the RO give his commands. Simply put, for me at least, it's not easy, to hear the RO start commands, when the talking, from the other shooters, is louder than the RO.

this is sort of hard to do when you have people with ear plugs in, where everybody is talking at the normal shooting range voice - LOUD.

7. I know that this may be a strange suggestion, but let your squad know when you are going to leave your squad for any reason. We had an incident once where we thought that the shooter had just gone to the restroom, and it turned out that he was in his car, having some pretty serious heat induced issues, and nobody knew about it. If you don't feel good, or something is going on, PLEASE let somebody know, don't just tough it out. We are all here to help each other, and we ALWAYS look out for each other.

8. Please bring Food and Drinks with you! It can be an ALL DAY EVENT, (I cannot believe how many shooters show up without even a water bottle). Many ranges, don't have any vending machines, much less a food supplier. PACK a LUNCH, and bring enough to drink,,,,if I go home with water bottles, then I know that I brought enough. Dehydration or low blood sugar, have no place in a sport where guns are involved.

9.Brownells sells a packable trauma kit - it has everything that you may need should an accident happen. I keep it in my Jeep ready to go. I also keep ANY emergency contact information with me, in my range bag, this includes important information about medical history and present conditions and important phone numbers. This information can become extremely valuable in saving time, for an EMS team dealing with an injury at the range. It also helps to bring a buddy with you to the range when you practice - or at least let somebody KNOW that you went to the range. Keep a phone with you. **(but a friend is a better choice for practice, a new shooter alone at the range might not be the "best" suggestion).

10. Finally Equipment: make sure that you go over ALL of your gear, on a regular basis. From shoe laces, to your rig belts, make sure that you are always on top of your gear, and your range bag. Get a chair that you can carry or fold up, it can be a long day and a chair certainly helps. The dollar store is a great place to find small sizes of smart things to keep in your range bag. A first aid kit, with new skin, really comes in handy, a packable poncho, a small portable umbrella, A shower cap for a quick gun cover up, if a rain shower comes out of no where. Trial sizes of Tylenol, sunscreen, hand towels, all have been needed at one time or another. Heck, keep a kit in your car or truck, with emergency items, so you don't have to lug it around, can be helpful. And speaking of lugging things around - find a wagon or jogger stroller, that has BIG wheels, carrying around all day is certainly not a fun thing to do - ammo gets heavy, and a cart that has tiny wheels will get stuck. AMMO: Bring extra and keep it in your vehicle as well. if you run into a problem on a couple of stages where you need to do a couple of reshoots, can cause you to run out of ammo much quicker, so bring more than you need for that day (check online for the round count and go from there - (worse case is that you bring it home). If you reload - case check your ammo to help prevent malfunctions when you shoot. Even a high primer can add some time to your stage so check for those as well. Lastly -- HAVE FUN! The best part about this sport are the people that I have met. I would not have learned anything had it not been for the fantastic people that are involved with USPSA. It is hands down the BEST sport that I have EVER participated in, and the people are actually the large part of it. Good luck and remember that there are NO Stupid Questions! If you have a question ASK it, or at least look it up. But, by asking questions, it also help you get to know the other shooters, and gain knowledge.

I know,,,it's a lot of info,,,,But, Like I said,,,,I hope that maybe SOME of it might help!

• 1 month later...

4. Next up a hint that was given to me by a fantastic shooter and friend, while at my first major match, and it STUCK because it makes sense. So I will pass it on: As a right handed shooter, I always try to start every stage if possible, from the left ( and this applies to lefties by starting from the Right side IF it is possible, which is not always the case for lefties) -BUT, By starting on the left side of the stage, moving to the right as you shoot, at some point a reload may be needed, if you are moving to the right, then your gun is pointing down range for that reload. This helps to alleviate, ANY chance of a 180 break, during a mag change, because it is being done in your natural hand position, for a reload. I have seen stages set up where, there is no choice but to load with your gun in a, "less than optimal position", when doing a mag change, from the right. Please remember to: WATCH YOUR GUN POSITION when loading while moving to the LEFT, this is a very easy way to get sent home.

Figured this out the hard way! Had a stage where mags and gun was left at a barrel....Should have just grabbed and stowed but my plan was to shoot with just one mag change. Came back to grab the second mag and didnt adjust my body position to account for how the gun turns on my reloads!

Thanks for the tip!

• 1 month later...

Spent the afternoon today with one of our local clubs RO's and designated Orientation Guru. Will be showing up this Saturday for my first Qualifier. Wanted to say thanks to all of you that took time to add something to this thread. There is a wealth of information here for someone that has an hour or so to read it. I hope that my experience is similar to many of yours and that I have found a great sport to partake in.

I had a good time today just running through the safety checklist, the basic routines, and doing some sample exercises (loved the El Presidente) I learned that a USP is not as easy to hit as it looks, and how easy it is to forget to do a mandatory reload.

I shot several groups of SnakeEyes with my Glock 23, at 10yds, so I don't think my gun will be my biggest issue to start. I also learned to make sure I orientate my Magazines all the same way, every time, so my reloads are smooth and without hesitation. (also good tips on reloading the mags after each stage).

Thanks, I am looking forward to my first official match (yes, I did join USPSA)

Rod

Salem, OR

Columbia Cascade Section

• 1 month later...

Fantastic advice. I've been shooting almost a year now and have learned the hard way on most of this advice :) Gotta say I have had a blast competing and learning my way through the sport. Just like everything else in life, just takes a little practice.

• 1 month later...

I thought I would chime in and give a +1 to sticking with your initial stage plan. In my second match on one of the more complex stages, I changed up my plan after seeing a better approach. As a result I failed to engage two targets. I notice now that I have a tendancy to change my plan if I am the last shooter in the squad.

from now on i will try to shoot the CoF exactly as my walkthrough, and not make last min changes.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Great post, I'll forward it to some friends of mine that are interested in starting out.

I also appreciate all the comments about safety. My husband and I compete together and we often bring our kid with us to competitions. I cannot stress enough how important it is to me as a mother that people really listen to the safety advise listed here because that is the most important! Everything else - acuracy, speed, etc. will come with time.

Along with finger out of trigger guard when moving and not breaking 180, I think it is also important to add these 2 common newbie mistakes when moving especially:

- Don't point the gun at your chin - this is not Charlie's Angels

- Don't point the gun at your toes - you need them more than you think

Mistakes will happen but being safe is most important. That being said, when I first started shooting I got DQ'd once for sweeping my toes while going around a barricade. No, my finger wasn't on the trigger, but it was unsafe nevertheless. I've never done it again! ;)

• 2 months later...

- Don't point the gun at your chin - this is not Charlie's Angels

LOL!

My gun club has an unattended check-in shack just inside the gate. There's always a stack of flyers for CHL training with a banner that is a picture of a young woman holding a Taurus PT-92 as if in prayer, with the front sight against her forehead.

I finally couldn't resist and marked on the banner "I hope the first lesson is NEVER to do this!".

• 1 month later...

All great advice - no matter how long you've been shooting or how new we might be, there's always something to learn. I too have also found that most everyone in this sport loves to give back; they'll almost all give advice when asked and are willing to help with whatever you need.

My one big pet peeve, and this doesn't just apply to newbies as I see way too many experienced shooters NOT do this; everyone on the squad needs to help with picking up brass, pasting targets and resetting steel unless your the next shooter, on deck or just finished. When I see the RO, scorekeeper and the next shooter up picking, pasting and resetting because the rest of the squad is too busy telling stories about how great they shot or how bad the stage is etc, it really rubs me the wrong way. None of us are above helping out with the small stuff - it makes the match go faster and is just the right thing to do.

G, thanks for getting this going and to all the others for keeping it going with great advice! :bow:

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Shoot slow and SAFE till you get used to moving and shooting.

Take your time and ask questions.

Don't rush to change shooting class. If you start in Production, stick with it for at least 1 full season before switching to another class like limited.