Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

40 Open

splashdown

1 minute ago, jbecker said:

Can anyone recommend a gunsmith that can convert a 40 cal 2011 limited gun to a 40 open gun?

I thought of this. Really after said an done better off buying a 9 major. 

• Replies 587
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

Has anyone tried using Alliant Blue Dot 

or Accurate No7 for your Open 40? And what's your input?  

I have tried HS6 with 155 and 165 gr bullet and would like to find a slower powder. Didn't like longshot for sure.  

Thx 

16 minutes ago, tag129 said:

Has anyone tried using Alliant Blue Dot 

or Accurate No7 for your Open 40? And what's your input?  

I have tried HS6 with 155 and 165 gr bullet and would like to find a slower powder. Didn't like longshot for sure.  

Thx 

I'm working with Autocomp and 155gr Xtreme bullets.  Liking the results so far.

7 minutes ago, aandabooks said:

I'm working with Autocomp and 155gr Xtreme bullets.  Liking the results so far.

I have tried AC too and I'm looking for something abit softer cause I'm running a Glock 35 with 2 popper holes and custom comp.  thx. 

40 open is very intriguing to me. I shoot an Apeiro in Limited and adding a barrel and comp with a scope mount seems much easier than ordering a whole new gun.

Though there is a lot to be said for getting a new gun too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

40 minutes ago, Jumprun13k said:

40 open is very intriguing to me. I shoot an Apeiro in Limited and adding a barrel and comp with a scope mount seems much easier than ordering a whole new gun.

Jumprun13k, my situation was similar.  As you see from my photo above, the top end used to be a sight tracker type limited gun.  GANS came up with a good solution for attaching the comp.  He turned the whole barrel down to classic diameter, threaded it, and attached the comp.  Might not have been the best looking open gun, but functioned as well as a limited gun and shot flat!

Jumprun13k, my situation was similar.  As you see from my photo above, the top end used to be a sight tracker type limited gun.  GANS came up with a good solution for attaching the comp.  He turned the whole barrel down to classic diameter, threaded it, and attached the comp.  Might not have been the best looking open gun, but functioned as well as a limited gun and shot flat!

I think yours looks awesome. I have been looking at the Rush USA site and they have barrels with comp for $285. Just get my smith to fit and I can trade barrels out as needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...

Shot Inland Empire yesterday.  Load was 8.55 Longshot at 1.155 OAL with a 135gr Nosler.  Ended up at 181PF.  I've been in the high 170s before.  Going to drop it down to 8.45gr.  For the guys using Auto Comp or HS6, is anyone using a 135gr bullet?  If so, what is your load?

1 minute ago, NMinzghor said:

Shot Inland Empire yesterday.  Load was 8.55 Longshot at 1.155 OAL with a 135gr Nosler.  Ended up at 181PF.  I've been in the high 170s before.  Going to drop it down to 8.45gr.  For the guys using Auto Comp or HS6, is anyone using a 135gr bullet?  If so, what is your load?

I'm using Rainer 135 FP at 1.18AOL - 10grs. HS-6 in an STI gun.

3 minutes ago, NMinzghor said:

That is what I am usually at with the 8.55 Longshot.  I was surprised that I was over 180 yesterday.

Good Luck in the never ending search for perfection :bow:

On 8/21/2017 at 0:26 PM, NMinzghor said:

My WAC load I ended up settling st 7.7 and I believe pf was 173.

My brother now has that gun and we recently experimented with VV N105. To date that is the softest thing I've felt in any open gun including my 38sc. Haven't had time to put it on the clock and fine tune that load but 9.5 gr of n105 yielded 175 of with a 140 gr fp bullet. OAL was at 1.170"

1 minute ago, WestTex said:

My WAC load I ended up settling st 7.7 and I believe pf was 173.

My brother now has that gun and we recently experimented with VV N105. To date that is the softest thing I've felt in any open gun including my 38sc. Haven't had time to put it on the clock and fine tune that load but 9.5 gr of n105 yielded 175 of with a 140 gr fp bullet. OAL was at 1.170"

Thanks.  I'm going to try out some different loads over the winter.  I'll definitely give that a try.

I followed the path that @splashdown started way at the beginning of this thread.  He has since moved on to a 2011 by the looks of it.  I built up a Glock 40 open gun right before Carry Optics went to extended magazines fully loaded.  I decided against staying in Open.  I just listed a 40 Open Glock in the classifieds if anyone wants to give 40 Open for a spin.  I found that 155gr bullets worked great on 7.1gr of AutoComp, with a 1.125" OAL.  That gives me around 175PF.  I think I could inch it down to 7.0gr and still work the comp, while still making major.

Well, it's there if you want to check it out.

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎6‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 5:50 AM, zzt said:

I have two 40 Open pistols.  On is a Gans Custom with comp and two 3/16" poppels.  The other runs a comp only.

While working up loads I tried a lot of bullet and powder combinations.  The softest was HS-6 under a 135gr Rainier for 172PF.  At 188PF the pistol was dead flat, but it was load and violent.  I decided I liked WAC better, because the dot tracked better.  It was still loud with the 135, so I went to a 155gr.  I liked that much better.  It is not as load and is less violent.  The dot tracks beautifully and comes back down to where it started.  The dot never leaves the glass.  My 172PF loads are as follows:  All are mixed brass.

CCI 500, 7.1gr WAC, Rainier 155 plated TC, OAL 1.126".

CCI 500 7.2gr Silhouette, Rainier 155 plated TC, OAL 1.126"

WSP, 7.1 WAC, Montana Gold 155 JHP, OAL 1.180"

I also use the X-treme 155gr RNFP.  I prefer the Silhouette because it burns cleaner than WAC.  The Rainiers are the most accurate, by far.  The MGs come next, then the X-tremes.  I load to 1.126" because I also own a CZ TS and that length feeds perfectly in it.  I'm fortunate in that both my 2011 Open pistols feed OALs from 1.126" to 1.180" equally well.  I use MBX and SVI mags.

When you were loading WAC with 135gr, how much powder where you using?