Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

44 Load Data?

parisite

I see no forum topic for 44 caliber on this forum and this 45 forum seemed as close as I could get.

I was wondering if anyone had some data for a real good target load for 240gr cast lead bullets out of 44 Magnum cases?

I personally like 17-18gr of 2400 powder.

Anyone else have a pet target load any different?

I've shot a ton of 255gr Keith bullets with 21grs of 2400. We've gotten good accuracy out of S&W's, Rugers, TC's and Dan Wesson's with this load. I believe this was one of Elmer Keith's favorite loads. I did try H110 and got the velocity over 1400fps but the accuracy dropped off. I cast using wheel weights and a little softer lead. With a harder custom blend, or a gas check, you could keep the higher speeds with less fouling.

I think the 255gr bullet with 21grs 2400 is doing 1300fps, give or take, out of a 6" 629 and 7.5" SBH.

I do have a great load with a 310gr cast bullet using Lil'Gun powder, 1400fps out of my 7.5" SBH, but this load isn't very pleasant to shoot.

Hope this helps.

You're 17-18 grs of 2400 under a 240 LSWC is my favorite hunting load parisite.For lighter midrange 240 loads,I've used 7-10 grs of Unique or Universal.For 240 jacketed loads,I've had good luck with 296.I've never really messed with much else in .44.I'm definetely going to try z40acp's WST load though.that sounds very interesting.I seem to recall that Elmer's theory was that a 240/250 @ 1200 was all that 44 needed to do.If it was good enough for him,its good enough for me.-Mike

Edited by kframe_mike

For a TARGET/PLINKING load in .44 Magnum, one of my shooting partners uses the following:

240 grain lead SWC bullet

Federal Large Pistol #150 primer

7.6 grains Winchester 231 powder

mixed cases

925 FPS from a 6" barrel, S&W Model 629 revolver

He's also tried 6 grains of Hodgdon's TiteGroup powder, with the same bullet/primers/cases listed above.

You might want to look at the www.hodgdon.com site, for load data, on .44 magnum Cowboy Action loads. Some of the loads listed there look promising for mid-range target/plinking.

OK,

These are quite mild, but they are what I run for Cowboy action in my 44 mag and 44 special.

The mag is running 6gr of Unique behind a 240gr Lasercast RNFP lit by a WLP. This is in the Rifle and is extremely pleasant to shoot while giving me about 700 fps(ish) out of a 5-1/2" Ruger Vaquero (it's been years since I chrony'ed this load).

The special is running 5.2gr of IMR TrailBoss behind a 200fr Lasercast RNFP lit by a WLP in assorted brass. I have not chrono'd this load, only because it is in the middle of IMR/Hodgdon'ss safe load range and I do not need to worry about making power <_< .

Remember that these are cowboy action loads and MUST be under 1000fps for shooting steel. I will say that the TB load has been pleasant to shoot and does not beat my carpal tunnel stricken hands like some other peoples' 44 Mag loads.

My other load is 17gr of 2400 pushing a 240gr Cast SWC or JHP with the above mentioned cases and primers. This load is more my hunting load in the same Rugers.

I think Mr. Keith used to load 18gr of 2400 behind his 255gr cast bullet in 44 specials. After removing several top straps from single action Colts, he helped with the development of the 44magnum. I think the goal was 1400fps with a 240gr bullet and if I recall correctly, the first factory 44mag loads were pushing 1500fps. I've never shot any reduced loads in my 44's. I'd expect good accuracy with some of the above mentioned light loads.

My Bowling Pin load is 8.5 gr. of WW231 behind any 300 gr. bullet. It will clean off pins if they have flat sides, are full of lead, or 2 together.

Recoil is moderate.

My Silhouette load is 18 gr. of H4227 behind a 300 gr. Hornady XTP. In a stock S&W 8-3/8 with a 2-7 Burris scope it will shoot 6 in. groups

at 200 meters. Muzzle velocity is 1050 fps. 200 m velocity is 900 fps. Recoil is mild. It never leaves Rams standing.

• 1 month later...

"I was wondering if anyone had some data for a real good target load for 240gr cast lead bullets out of 44 Magnum cases"

For a mild target load I like several loads

7.7grs of universal 240 molly swc

5.4grs of red dot 240 molly swc

5.4grs of vv 320 240 molly swc

7.5grs of unique 240 moly swc or any 240 just about.

hope this helps for target loads.

• 5 years later...

Just confirming what ebg3 said about 2400 and 255 gr. bullets. Just chronographed this load through my Model 29 last month.

Bullet: Montana Bullet Works/Lyman 429244 255 gr. SWC-GC (.430)

Powder: Alliant 2400 20.8 grs.

Primer: Federal 150

Case: PMC

Velocity: 1333.16 fps

post-2837-0-99590700-1393300278_thumb.jp

I have a lot of WST,but I am a little afraid to try it in my .44.It would leave a lot of empty space in the case. Do the primers show any signs of pressure?

Don't remember any signs of excess pressure.This was a load I used back in the 90s on pins. Some of the newer powders like Titegroup are made for applications like this.

My favorite target load is 24 grains of H110. However I was told to never shoot these again in a steel match, so I also load 6 grains of Bullseye.

LOL....Did the flash out of the muzzle start a grass fire?

• 3 weeks later...

+1 on the 10 and 8.5 of Unique for target loads. I used to think if it wasn't B-T-W I didn't like it in .44 magnum but as I got older the 10 grns of Unique killed everything the belch fire loads did with much less wear and tear on me and the equipment.