Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

CHA-LEE's Tale

CHA-LEE

I am taking too many extra shots on some of the paper targets. Some of that is an intentional strategy like shooting the difficult hard cover targets more aggressively and simply making up any shots that are called marginal. Verses shooting slow and risking more time by still needing to make up shots. But most of the extra shots due to being called very marginal or misses so they are simply made up subconsciously. I am not making a stage plan with the intent of shooting at a paper target with more than the required hits. 

I am also still relearning how to call my shots effectively with the new Manny Micro Dot sight setup. The size of the front post and rear notch is way smaller than what I was using before so I have to totally relearn how much sight displacement equals a certain hit at any given distance.

My stage times would be faster without the excessive extra shots but I would rather error on the aggressive shooting side and simply makeup shots that I call marginal or bad. I will take extra hits on targets any day verses not enough hits and eating mikes.

Edited by CHA-LEE

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

By the way, the broken blaster stage at the ULSC, those were some serious GM gun flip magwell inspector skills on display.

Right before that, it was also a pretty awesome lesson on recoil anticipation vs. a typical trigger flinch for those that noticed

I got the #1 blaster fixed last night. All that was needed is a new Titanium hammer strut. I went over everything in detail and couldn't find any other issues. But who knows what will fail next. I will have to find that out in practice as I don't feel comfortable with using the #1 blaster in matches any more due to its two recent catastrophic failures. To be fair the #1 blaster is the oldest and highest use 2011 Limited gun I have with somewhere in the 80K - 100K on it. It has served a long reliable life up until this point so I can't whine about it too much. Nothing lasts forever though and at some point a blaster needs to be written off as "Used Up". The #3 will now serve as my Primary blaster for matches with the #2 as the backup. Hopefully the Bowmar style rear sight will stay together on the #3. That is the only thing on that gun which gives me some reliability concern. That one thing that is guaranteed is that I am a PRO at breaking stuff, so there will always be something else that I am going to break.  

I got all of my shooting gear cleaned and packed up for this coming weekend. On Friday I am traveling to Bend Oregon for the Oregon State Champ's. I have shot this match before and it was a good time. I am shooting the whole match on Saturday so it will be a long day of blasting. Hopefully I can get to the range on Friday early enough to check out all of the stages. Its about a 4 hour drive from Portland to Bend and I won't get to the range until 4 PM on Friday. Getting to the range that late may be pushing the limit on being able to check out all of the stages before the range closes. We will see how it goes.

This Oregon State match is the second in the month long major match marathon schedule I am currently on. After this is the Rocky Mountain 300, Mile High Showdown, then New Mexico Sectional. I have a lot of major match blasting ahead of and I am looking forward to every minute of it!!!

I'll wave at you in passing Charlie, I'm shooting Sat PM and Sun AM. This is my first major match since getting the "all clear" from my oncologist. (I missed Area 1 this year due to other things ;))

This past weekend I attended the Oregon State championships in Bend Oregon. I have attended this match a couple of years ago and it was fun. This year it was once again a lot of fun. I was able to check out all of the stages on Friday. The stages had a wide variety of shooting and movement challenges with several different ways to shoot the stages without any funny business. This is just the way I like it. I shot the whole match on Saturday and got to squad with several friends. The weather was great and fun was had by everyone on my squad.

I used my #3 Limited blaster for this match and it ran like a champ. I kept a close eye on the rear sight to make sure that the adjustments were not walking or any obvious failures were present. I didn’t notice any issues with the rear sight through the whole match but it still makes me leery. We will see how long this adjustable rear sight lasts.

I shot a pretty solid match. I didn’t have any shooting penalties and only racked up 3 Delta hits which were all on the first two stages of the match. The only significant blunder that I had was on stage 9 which was an unloaded start where I didn’t seat the magazine hard enough and it fell out of the gun as I racked it. I had to do a second load from a standing position to get going. I was trying to load a 21 round mag and didn’t seat it with the authority it needed leading to it falling out. I have proven many times in the past that I can reload to and make ready with a 21 round magazine without issue so I am attributing this to my weak left arm and it being late in the day. I have noticed that during long days on the range my left arm really starts to get weaker than normal due to my neck injury. I have to consciously grip a lot harder with my left hand when I feel my left arm get “tired” at the end of the day. It also results in me seating the mag into the gun like a wimp which creates this type of failure. I should know better at this point though since I have been dealing with this weak left arm issue for a while now and it’s not going to get any better. I have to do better with planning for it during long days at the range.

The only other issue I had in the match was hitting some mini poppers at 35 yards. It took me way too many shots to take them down and I couldn’t hit them unless I was aiming at the very left side of the circle within the popper. This tells me that my windage adjustment on the rear sight must be off. I need to do some 40 yard group shooting to verify my windage adjustment before this coming weekend to make sure it’s dead nuts on at distance. I know that the gun and ammo are super accurate, I just need to get the sights adjusted to reflect that.

I was able to confirm once again at this match was the chrono result was right at 171PF. The Prima SV powder is proving to be the most consistent velocity powder that I have used in a very long time. I am using 4.1gr of Prima SV with a 180gr coated Eggleston Munitions bullet, Winchester Small Pistol Primer, and an OAL of 1.1650 if you want to try this load out for yourself.

When I was done shooting for the day I repacked my shooting gear at the range for the flight home in the morning then made the 3.5 hour drive back to Portland. It was a long day of shooting and traveling but it was a lot of fun. Mark Sue and his staff did an awesome job in pulling this match together and all of their hard work showed.

I had to wait for the Sunday shooters to complete the match before the results were final. Once all of the shooting was done I ended up First in Limited and HOA for the match. I knew that I would be able to give the Limited guys a run for their money but I was surprised to have beaten all of the Open guys as well. I guess that happens when you hit all of the targets without many issues. I was able to get all of my stage runs on video thanks to Hwansik Kim. We helped each other with video duty so it worked out well for both of us. Hwansik is a lot of fun to shoot with and he is on the fast track to becoming one of the top shooters in the nation. If he keeps on the pace he is currently on it won’t be long before he earns a national title. It’s cool to see relatively new shooters with only a few years of experience take their skills to the top level. This goes to show that with the proper mindset and dedication that performing well is possible without a bunch of years of experience.

Now its time to get my shooting gear cleaned up and reset for the Rocky Mountain 300 this coming weekend. I am shooting the whole match on Friday and also serving as the Range Master. This is a very fun match to shoot as its 5 stage with each stage containing 60+ rounds of blasting entertainment. I need to put a 4th mag pouch on my belt as each stage will require at least 2 - 3 reloads in Limited. There is something cool about coming to the line with 100 rounds in ammo on your belt and still not being sure if that will be enough to get the job done. One thing is for sure, a bunch of fun will be had on every single stage!!!

6 hours ago, RaylanGivens said:

What happened to your Open gun project?

Seems like a great match to shoot Open with 30 rounds at the start...

I have been shooting Open at the local Indoor club matches where seeing iron sights is nearly impossible. Right now Open is nothing more than a something to tinker on and play with locally. I am still 100% dedicated to Limited for major matches and the local outdoor matches. 

I will switch to Open full time when my eyes start to give up on seeing iron sights effectively outdoors. That or I feel like I have totally figured out Limited. But that seems like a lofty goal to achieve.

This past weekend I shot and helped as Range Master for the Rocky Mountain 300. This is an abnormal major match in the fact that there are only 5 stages, but each stage has 60+ rounds of targets to shoot. I was able to get out to the range on Thursday to check out the stages and make sure they were setup correctly from an RM perspective. I am glad that I went out a day early because a couple of the stages had some serious stage planning needed due to being memory stages. Stage 2 and 4 ended up being the memory stages in the match. Stage 2 wasn’t too bad, but Stage 4 was a ball buster of a memory stage. Stage 4 had a horseshoe configuration of open targets that all looked the same and the shooting area had a bunch of walls and barrels setup with narrow gaps between them so you couldn’t see more than a couple of targets from many of the shooting positions. The best way to break this stage down effectively and not get lost was to literally count shots taken from each shooting position to ensure that you are engaging all of the desired targets. I was able to break down and deploy my plan on this stage properly, but it made many competitors heads explode trying to figure it out.

I shot the whole match on Friday with the primary match staff. Serving at RM that day as well had me running around with my head cut off most off the day dealing with issues while trying to get the stages shot at the same time. I started out the day on Stage 2 which was a partial memory stage. I started the stage and 8 rounds in I thought I had a squib and stopped shooting to inspect the situation. On my 8th shot it felt and sounded way lighter than the preceding rounds and I was hit in the face with smoke and powder. It felt like a case head separation but I wasn’t totally sure. Since the next round fully chambered I didn’t want to risk having a squib half way down the barrel and blowing up my gun. So I unloaded and looked in the chamber to see if there was light. Since I could see daylight in the chamber I knew there wasn’t a squib so I loaded up again and finished the stage. This whole “Squib Scare” event cost me about 16 seconds of lost time on this stage which was a bitter pill to swallow. But, I would rather be safe than sorry and blow up my gun which would have happened if there was a squib half way down the barrel. This issue cost me about 100 match points in lost time.

Starting the match in a 100 point hole is obviously not what I wanted to do, but it was water under the bridge at that point. I shook it off and tackled the remaining stages the best I could while juggling the RM duties. I felt that my shooting for the rest of the day was fairly solid. My performance was not the best but pretty good given the circumstances of working the match and everything else. The only other issue I had during the match was on the all steel stage. On the first array of targets the fiber in my front sight came out so I had to shoot the rest of the stage leveraging the vacant hole in the front sight. This worked out well on the White steel because I could see white in the hole. But on the blue steel I couldn’t see the hole at all so I had to basically shoot it like black on black sights. This missing fiber issue actually ended up being a good thing on this stage because it forced me to aim my ass off for every shot and I did a good job of shooting most of the steel one for one. If the lighting was worse I would have been totally screwed though. So I was very lucky that the lighting was optimal during this stage run.

I finished the match on the speed shoot hoser stage. This stage is always a lot of fun and I think it’s actually harder to perform well on because it is all about raw aggression. It’s very easy to go bananas on this stage and stop seeing your sights, trigger freeze, or bumble your reloads as you “TRY” to go fast. I told myself that the only goal for this run was to see my sights on the A zone for every shot and not worry about how long it takes. This allowed me to relax and simply let it happen which turned out great. I was able to shoot it aggressively and only had 3 C zone hits.

All in all I was happy with my match performance. I could definitely live without the 16 second squib scare on stage 2, but it would be interesting to see how my overall match performance would stack up against the remaining competition. Bob Krogh, Paul Clark Jr, and Kenny Terry were the three GM’s shooting the match on Saturday so I thought for sure I would be relegated to 4th overall in Limited due to my 16 second donation. But very much to my surprise my match performance held up to take first in Limited. I think that the stars simply aligned and my competition had a rough match allowing my performance to hold up. The moral of the story once again is NEVER GIVE UP!!!

Serving as RM and shooting the match was a lot of work but totally worth it to attend this event. If you have never shot the RM300 before you need to add it to your list to attend in 2018. Shooting 60+ round stages is a lot of fun and will push you outside of your current comfort zone. Going back to normal 32 round or less field course stages seems like child’s play from a stage planning perspective.

Edited by CHA-LEE

On Sunday I didn’t want to do the Man on Man shoot off at the RM300 so I decided to attend the AGC club match instead then head up to the RM300 to attend the awards. This plan required me to shoot through the AGC match and the price for doing that was setting up a stage for the match which I gladly accepted. Per the MD’s request I setup a stage biased towards shooting on the move using the whole berm. The stage turned out really fun with several different choices in how to tackle it.

It took me a grand total of about 15 minutes to shoot through the whole match going quickly from one bay to the next. Luckily I was able to walk through each stage right after setup to get a decent understanding of the stage plans. Even though I had solid plans for each stage I still didn’t have enough time to fully program the plans. Not having the normal delay in shooting to let the stage plans marinate for proper programming is always a challenge. Even though I didn’t have enough time to program the stages 100% solid I was still able to execute the plans fairly decent. I didn’t have any screw ups in execution but there were a few times where I was literally thinking about and consciously commanding myself through the plans as I was shooting. I probably left 3% – 4% of maximum performance on the table simply because I wasn’t able to execute my plans from a subconscious level. The good part is that I only dropped 21 C zone hits for the whole match. This resulted in capturing 96.6% of the available points which is right where I need to be.

When I was finished shooting the AGC match I packed up my gear and headed up to the RM300. I stopped at the grocery store on the way up and picked up a bunch of frozen treats to give away at the match. I got to the range early enough to watch the tail end of the man on man shoot off which was convincingly won by JJ Racazza. He is a bad ass shooter and a great guy to boot!!! Everyone liked the frozen treats and it was cool to be able to give something yummy to the shooters and spectators. It’s fun to do something nice that is unexpected to make people smile.

After that we did the awards ceremony for the RM300 and I helped the MD Jerry Westcott distribute the awards and prize table goodies. This process went fast and efficient which was awesome. Jerry has the match administration process down to a science. After that, everything was packed up and we all headed home. It was a long and exhausting weekend but it was totally worth the effort.

Since I am a glutton for punishment, I decided to attend the Whistling Pines indoor match on Monday evening. I had to pick up some more bullets from Eggleston Munitions, so to be fair I was killing two birds with one stone. I wasn’t into shooting the match at all though. I was physically beat from the long weekend and mentally not interested. This really showed in my shooting performance. I racked up 5 misses and 5 D zone hits for the match simply because I couldn’t or wasn’t looking at my sights. 4 of the misses were on the last stage of the match where I was seeing the fiber in the front sight but it was biased high above the notch so all of my hits were high on the targets or over the top of the targets. This is a common issue where I point the front sight up to attempt to find and see the fiber then end up shooting with it biased upwards. I can usually see my sights fairly well at this indoor match but I simply couldn’t see them well this time. I am not sure if the lighting was worse than normal or if I was just too worn out and mentally disengaged to care enough to see the sights properly. I will give this match one more try shooting Limited and if seeing my sights is still a problem I will switch to shooting only open at all indoor matches.

This coming weekend I am attending a Competition Pistol class presented by Todd Jarrett so that should be a lot of fun. I am looking forward to seeing how he presents training and seeing if he can help bring my game to the next level.

This past weekend was super busy. The CRC match got canceled on Saturday so I decided to make another delivery of stuff to the BLGC range to prepare for the Mile High Showdown. This is the 4th delivery of a cram packed 4Runner full of stuff out there to prepare for this match. While at the range I was able to get a few more things prepped for the match. At this point I am about as prepped as I can be to host the Mile High Showdown. Up next is setting up all of the Stages on Thursday then running the match Friday – Sunday. This will be a grueling 4 days of serious work to pull off this match. I am planning on shooting the whole match on Friday. But my shooting will be really low on the priority list verses making this match happen smoothly. I hope that I can get all of the stages shot, but if I don’t it won’t be a big deal.

On Sunday & Monday I attended a Competition Pistol Training class hosted by Todd Jarrett. I have been coordinating this class for the past year so it was nice to actually have it happen. Todd’s training curriculum was great and he is an awesome instructor. Over the two day class I was able to take note of 35 things that I found interesting. Some of the stuff was associated with how he presented the training which would help me present training better and other things were associated with practical shooting skills which would help me perform better as a shooter. There really wasn’t any new secret ninja stuff that I learned from the class. At my skill level I didn’t expect anything truly “New” that I haven’t already explored or know about. What I did find very valuable is seeing alternate methods or styles of doing certain things. Todd’s shooting and movement style is very biased towards slower on target shooting splits with more optimized movement and flow through a stage. My shooting and movement style is very biased towards more aggressive shooting from stationary positions then hauling ass from one position to the next. It’s cool to see an opposing style be deployed in its most efficient manner. This allows me to see if I can leverage some of that style to optimize my personal style of shooting.  

The hardest part of the training class was abandoning my current style of shooting while trying to execute his style. This gave me the feeling of being a fish out of water as I was trying to execute things in a different way that goes against my current style. I know for a fact that I could have executed many of the shooting drills and stage runs way better if I allowed myself to revert back to my “normal” style of shooting or moving. But that would have been a waste of time and ammo since the whole point in attending this class was to try doing things differently. I am not going to lie, it was frustrating as shit to bumble around and fail at executing most of the time while trying to deploy things differently. But that was needed to at least give me a taste of what it’s supposed to feel like when executing properly using the alternate method. I need to put some serious practice and testing time in after this class to truly vet these new methods of performing tasks verses how I am currently doing them. I may not fully adopt everything I took note of, but if I can integrate a few things to improve my performance that will be a worthwhile investment.

Lastly, this class really drove home the need to fully optimize my gun handling skills. Todd’s gun handling skills are the best I have seen in all my years of competing. For years I have put draws, reloads, and other gun handling skills on the back burner because I can do them fairy well and they were not costing me much against others in matches. But I think it’s time to revisit these skills to see if I can squeeze a little more performance out of them. If I am donating a tenth or two on my draw or reload during a stage run that is still a donation to others. This is a game of a death by a thousand little cuts. It’s time to address these gun handling cuts.

This Todd Jarrett class has reinvigorated my interest in improving my practical shooting skills. The only bummer is that I have to put this stuff on the back burner for at least a week until I get through running the Mile High Showdown. Hopefully I can put some serious effort into digging into this stuff in a few weeks. I have a month and a half gap between major matches from early July to late August so that will be the best time for me. We will see how it goes. I need to first survive the Mile High Showdown.  

This past weekend was the Mile High Showdown. I served as the Match Director for this match and HOLLY COW was it a crap ton of work!!! We setup all of the stages on Thursday and I spent about 13 hours on the range getting everything ready to rumble for the match. I only got about 4 hours of sleep Thursday night before I had to head back to the range to get the match started for the Friday schedule shooters.

I shot the whole match on Friday along with making sure everything was running smoothly from an MD perspective. Friday turned out to be pretty hot and it turned into a grueling long day on the range. I was physically destroyed from all the work and not enough sleep on Thursday. I compounded the issue by not drinking or eating enough on Friday while trying to shoot the match. Shooting a 12 stage match in one day while in a totally beat down mental and physical state was not very smart on my part. I was mentally checked out only 5 stages into the match so the rest of the time I was like a hobbling zombie. I was cramping up bad due to being dehydrated and it caught up with me really bad on the last stage of the match. My right leg cramped up super bad in the middle of the stage run and I was doing the leg cramp pain dance just after finishing the stage run. I was able to shoot the whole match, but it wasn’t pretty. I can see in my video that I am pretty lethargic on my transitions and movement. I racked up two uncalled misses and a no shoot through the whole match. All of them were later in the day when I was really exhausted so it’s really not a surprise.  I knew going into this match that my shooting performance was going to suffer due to working it. The only goal I set for myself during this match was to shoot A’s on all of the low head shot targets. I did pretty good on that goal and only dropped a handful of B zone hits. Beyond that I honestly didn’t care how I did overall because I knew that I would be too exhausted and distracted to produce a solid match performance. As expected I finished 2nd in Limited to Bob Krogh who handed me an 8% beat down.  

From a Match Director perspective, the match ran smoothly with very little drama or issues. The biggest thing that I was worried about was potential weather or wind issues that were out of my control. The weather was awesome all weekend so we didn’t have to content with rain. The wind only caused a little bit of problems from one day to the next but nothing major. All of my proactive work in scheduling, prop wrangling, target painting and everything else worked great to keep the match running like a well oiled machine. I couldn’t envision this match running much better than it did this time around. Hopefully it looked like an effortless match execution to the competitors who attended.

This was my 6th year serving as the Match Director for the Mile High Showdown and it marks the final year that I will be doing it. Running this match for this long has taught me a lot about match management, people, and most importantly about myself. I can comfortably say that I have “Put in my time” to give back to this sport by hosting this match for so long. As with everything in life, whatever has a beginning also has an end. This is simply my turn to pass the MD torch to the next person willing to step up to the challenge to make it happen. I will continue to be the HPPS Club President and MD for the local matches. But I am done with the business of coordinating and deploying Level 2 matches.

Now it’s time for some much deserved rest to recover from this long weekend of blasting entertainment!!!  

This past weekend I was able to settle back into the local club match shooting scene. I attended the PSAC match on Saturday and used my #3 Limited gun. I shot a fairly solid match with really good points. I only shot 2 D’s the whole day with no shooting penalties. The only thing I screwed up was shooting too passive on stage 2 which had some long range steel and paper. It also had a front section that required 18 rounds with a bunch of hard cover partials and a couple of mini poppers. I should have changed up my stage plan to do another reload in the front section so I wasn’t shooting 18 rounds from a single mag. I loaded to my 21 round magazine and had enough make up shots to use every single round in the gun. I shot the gun dry on my last shot so it was really risky. This proves once again that it’s better for me to simply eat the time of performing another reload which would allow me to shoot more aggressive. The funny thing is that I shoot more accurately when I am shooting aggressive and not worried about running out of ammo. These endless reminders and lessons continue to happen.

The cool thing that happened at the PSAC match is that I had a chance to reshoot the classifier in Open to see if I could get the final GM score to solidify my GM Classification in Open. This match is always super busy so you have to jam in Classifier second gun runs only when time allows. I only had a short amount of time for the second gun run so I decided to shoot it again with my Limited gun because I didn’t have time to strap on my Open gear. I went full out on the run and nailed it with a 105% Open score. Bossing a classifier like that with a Limited gun to produce a 105% Open score isn’t easy as the High Hit Factors for Open are significantly higher than Limited. I can honestly say that it was a lucky run to get all of my hits at the rage blasting pace I was shooting. I don’t think I could reproduce that crazy run using my Limited gun with any level of consistency. Sometimes you get lucky and that was one of those times. That being said I should have a GM classification in Open this coming Tuesday when USPSA updates the classifications. No more sandbagging in Master for me in Open.

On Sunday I did a double header as I attended the Clear Creek match in the morning then the Centennial Indoor match in the evening. At the Clear Creek match I shot my #3 Limited blaster once again and had a good match going until we got to the classifier which was the last stage of the match for me. The classifier was a three string standards affair with strong and weak hand shooting along with reloads. I shot the first string well which was one on each freestyle, reload, then one on each freestyle again. The second string was Freestyle, reload, strong hand. On the strong hand portion I pulled one shot about an inch into the hard cover. Then the last string was one on each weak hand. This is where the wheels came off and I racked up a bunch of C’s a D and a Miss. This neck injury induced gimp left arm is my nemesis when it comes to weak hand shooting. I have to accept that it’s going to be wobbly as shit and I need to shoot much slower. Permanent injuries like this that jack up your game are a bummer. It is what it is and I have to deal with it.

At the Centennial Indoor match I shot my Open gun. Its been a while since I have cleaned my Open gun and it was really dirty before heading to this match. I threw some more Lucas Extreme Duty Oil in it and crossed my fingers to see if it would make it through the match. Lucky for me the gun ran flawlessly through the whole match which was great. But I need to break that bad boy down this week and give it a complete cleaning.

This month’s CGC indoor match had an interesting mixture of ultra hose fest or ultra aiming stages. For example, one stage was a 5.5 HF and another was 18.2 HF. You had to either aim your ass off and be really patient with the shooting or go ape shit crazy and unleash the lead like a mad man. Given the inconsistent lighting at this range I was once again happy to be shooting a red dot. I honestly don’t know how the iron sight guys can do it in that range. I put a heightened focus on seeing the dot settle in the A-zone before breaking the shot along with gripping the crap out of the gun and it worked out great. I shot the first stage with zero points down in a fast time which was awesome. I can’t remember the last time where I shot a 32 round field course with all A’s while blasting at a very aggressive pace. The second stage was one of the ultra aiming events with a bunch of partials, long distance partials, and running all over the place. I did a rough calculation of the potential high hit factor for the stage and it came up to a 5 hit factor which is super low for a large field course. People were either taking a long time to shoot it and getting their hits, or they were going fast and racking up a bunch of misses or no shoots. I went into the stage with a solid focus on shooting only A’s and not putting much importance on shooting aggressive. During the stage run it felt like forever while aiming hard and shooting, but it paid off as I was down only 3 C’s and had the high hit factor for the stage at 5.5. The last two stages of the match were the classifier and a ultra hoser stage. The ultra hoser stage was an 18 round up close and personal stage with only about three steps of movement needed while unleashing lead as fast as you could pull the trigger. I got after it as aggressively as I dared to stave off trigger freeze and it resulted in a spicy 4.64 second run with a 18.1 HF. I was down more C’s than I liked but most of them were on two sideways paper targets that presented mostly C zone to shoot at. Spencer shot the stage after me and burned it down in 4.45 seconds but was down a few more points making his hit factor 18.2. This was a fun stage to shoot and it’s always crazy to produce hit factors in the 18 range.

Overall it was a good weekend of shooting and it was nice to get back in the normal club match swing of things. I need to do some serious gun cleaning and ammo loading this week to get ready for another weekend of local blasting. Its really nice to be past the RM300, TJ Class, and Mile High Showdown. That was a stressful and super busy three weeks that I would rather not repeat again if I don’t have to. Each individual event was awesome by its self, but trying to cram them all in one week after another was retarded. Now that stuff is over I can get focused back on my own shooting as I still have a lot of stuff to test and dig into from the TJ class.   

Since I am a never ending gun fiddler I decided to get a SIG MPX to setup for PCC. I am not sure if I will ever shoot it in a match but it will be fun to fiddle on and play with. I have wanted a 9mm Pistol Caliber Carbine for a while now. I was actually thinking about getting one even before PCC became a thing in USPSA. So this is another toy to play with at the range and potentially be a home defense blaster.

Anyway, I got the SIG MPX this Monday and had a chance to check it out on the bench. As expected, the stock trigger blows and will need to be upgraded. I had an AR Gold trigger laying around so I threw it in to see if it would work and it was a no go. The AR Gold trigger would cock when cycling the bolt, but if you held the trigger back it wouldn’t cock the hammer back far enough to reset. So the AR Gold won’t work for this MPX. I ordered a Hyper Fire 24C as that seems to be the “Hot Ticket” for these MPX carbines. I also ordered a folding stock and some other goodies to swap out the stock parts and make it fit me better.

I have a Delta Point Pro and a Trijicon MRO sights to test on this bad boy. It will be interesting to see which sight ends up performing better on the range. I also ordered a 45 degree rail mount extension to see if shooting it sideways gangster style produces any different results.

I am not sure what ammo I am going to use with it yet. I have a bunch of 115gr 9mm bullets sitting around so I will probably start with that. I am not too worried about the ammo right now as I still need to get the gun its self ready to rumble.

Since I am waiting for parts to be delivered it will probably be a week or two before I can get a chance to put it all together and take it to the range. This should be an interesting project to play with during the summer. Once I get it setup in what I think is the proper configuration I may hand it off to one of the local PCC shooters to give it a go at some local matches. Since those guys are more dug into that division they would be able to assess its match functionality better than me.   

The MRO will serve you better on the MPX, 25mm objective lens that is completely round will help out with LOS vs that of the DPP. I've had a conversation American triggers about the MPX, and what it looks like is they will release a new hammer design that can be put into a old AR golds trigger that will work with MPX's and blowback guns, They're still experimenting with it if its worth their time to invest building a dedicated trigger. Don't believe the hype on hyperfire triggers, they will also break on the MPX and so far I have heard of two accounts where the disconnecters are breaking. I will either try the Timney short reset 2-stage trigger, or the new KEarms trigger that doesn't use a disconnector. MPX's don't like the heavy's so avoid 147s, mine has ran great with 115s.

I would like to see you bring this down to pueblo match one weekend to see how you shred, just don't do it next month... I won't be in the state :D