Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm major, open glock questions

Polytech

I've been doing a little searching and reading about the 9 major glocks and I'd like to get into the open game but I still have a few questions. I'd like to keep using the frame of my G34, so I was thinking about building an upper on a lone wolf slide. I shoot 3 gun also, so I would like to be able to throw the 34 slide on and be back to "limited" easily.

Would I be alright with just a complete lonewolf with a threaded barrel for a comp, or should I get a different barrel like a KKM and have it fit to the slide? Also will I need to have the lead on the chamber changed to run 9 major or will the standard chamber do fine?

Is the SJC 9maj comp the way to go, or is there some other comp that's better?

I am going to mount the red-dot on the slide, what is the most durable sight for this? Is the inexpensive lone wolf going to last as long as say a burris fast fire? Would the lone wolf get me through a season?

One more random question for now, can I use a blade tech DOH with comp and slide mounted red-dot?

Polytech

Edited by Polytech

Polytech,

I've moved your question to the Glock section. We have a number of existing threads on this tpic already. You can find good info by doing a search. To do so, go to the search page, choose the Glock section to search in and use "open" as your search term.

Lots of answers to be found.

- Admin.

I shoot a G34 w/KKM barrel and 4 port comp. and a Fast Fire. No problem w/the FF yet. I did drill a small hole in the switch and epoxy it to the on position since it's in the line of recoil.

The most durable and brightest is a Doctor that has gone to Beven. My other G34 has the same barrel and comp set up w/a Dr(Bevonized) milled into the slide.

As for a holster I use a Hogue Power Speed and ALWAYS draw from the intermediate locked position.

Edited by the duck of death

As far as comps go, I've tried 4 different comps on my G17. The SJC really is the best balance between control and flexibility. I run it with a KKM barrel and it shoots both minor and major with just a spring change.

In talking with SJC, they do not recommend a G34 slide for running major ammo. They believe the G17 slide is stronger and will last longer.

I've been using a JPoint for about a year. The plexiglass gets a little dinged up after a while, but still quite usable. I have Burris too for a different gun, but it is a 4 MOA and isn't big enough for my bad eyes. Remember that the mounting footprint is different for each sight. If you did a melt-in mount, it might not be compatible with all the sights you'd want to put on it.

I'm planning to make a 9mm major out of my 17, what I am debating is purchasing another g17 slide and have two top ends, one with a melted Dr sight with a KKM barrel and sjc comp. I'm just having fun shooting production right now. My goal is to draw this out of a bladetech DOH.

I want to have a comp that is as short as possible while not giving up any performance. I haven't heard how well 9mm major reacts to various comps compared to other calibers.

I haven't heard how well 9mm major reacts to various comps compared to other calibers.

It's a bit more challenging. You don't have as much case capacity to work with in 9mm. So, you don't have the variety ofpowder choices. But, there are plenty that work.

Also, the Glock starts out as a light weight platform. So, that is a bit of a challenge when shooting major ammo.

Also will I need to have the lead on the chamber changed to run 9 major or will the standard chamber do fine?

As long as your mags feed the longer round 100% of the time.

Jim

To run Major 9mm, you generally need to load longer to control the case pressure. Also, you want to get as much case support from your barrel as possible.

The KKM drop-in I got has great case support; not as good as a gunsmith fit, but close enough. Out of the box the KKM won't take long loads (1.12"+) and will have to be throated.

Coltgov and I use HS6 for 9 Major. Works great! I've given out the formula before, but I'll give it out one more time:

125gr Zero, on top of 8.1gr HS6, 1.15" OAL, any brass, Winchester primers. I chroned at 175PF (five round average) through my KKM drop-in barrel on a Chrony F1.

Also will I need to have the lead on the chamber changed to run 9 major or will the standard chamber do fine?

As long as your mags feed the longer round 100% of the time.

Jim

I haven't heard how well 9mm major reacts to various comps compared to other calibers.

It's a bit more challenging. You don't have as much case capacity to work with in 9mm. So, you don't have the variety ofpowder choices. But, there are plenty that work.

Also, the Glock starts out as a light weight platform. So, that is a bit of a challenge when shooting major ammo.

is there more muzzle flip on a light gun? that was my goal to keep an open gun as close to my production gun weight as possible. But I might rethink this approach if it doesn't shoot flat.

Flip is a factor of a few things.

You have the energy of the Major round. It has to go somewhere. If the load and comp work in an efficient manner, then the gun might shoot flat (shooter and springs play a part too). But, a flat gun tends to slam back into the shooters hand more.

Weight in the gun can dampen those effects. (flip and/or slap)

Lighter guns (outside of the Glocks) have become in vogue over the last couple of years. Personally, I don't think the light guns benefit too many shooters. Some, they clearly hurt. A shooter has to interact with a lighter gun more (especially at Major power factor). It requires a refined grip and stance.

Okay so I'm getting a better idea of where I might need to go, so how does this sound.

LW Stainless g17 slide (stock guts to start)

KKM gunsmith fit, threaded

SJC maj comp

Tung guide rod (weight and ability to swap springs)

Brass or other weighty mag well

Fastfire/ jpoint (haven't decided yet)

Does this sound like a good road to go down? Should I have someone else fit the barrel to the slide instead of kkm, like sjc?

Polytech

A KKM drop in barrel will work fine. My load for my 34s: 8.2 HS 6, WSP, MG 121, any case, OAL 1.145. I reload the cases 10 times and pitch them. There is absolutely NO signs of pressure.

They have guide rods made out of full length 1911 rods trimmed so ISMI springs can be used and a heavy Ice mag well.

You load that hummer w/ 29 rounds and it WILL NOT FEEL LIGHT. ;)

Okay so I'm getting a better idea of where I might need to go, so how does this sound.

SJC maj comp

Does this sound like a good road to go down? Should I have someone else fit the barrel to the slide instead of kkm, like sjc?

Polytech

Remember to save some $$$ in your budget for a nice trigger job. Vanek or Glockworx Fulcrum are nice.

As for your magwell, I use the DP BlackIce Super-Heavy. It adds like 7oz to the receiver and helps balance the gun, but gets kind of heavy with a big-stick in there.

As for big sticks, I'd get a couple Arredondos and at least one Taylor Freelance base pads. The Taylor works well, after you tune it a bit and having at least one 27-28 round mag means that you won't need to reload on many stages.

Edited by The Outsider

SJC maj comp

Polytech

Just send your gun to SJC, they have all those parts, your not saving any money building it yourself and they will build it right the first time.

SJC maj comp

Polytech

Remember to save some $$$ in your budget for a nice trigger job. Vanek or Glockworx Fulcrum are nice.

As for your magwell, I use the DP BlackIce Super-Heavy. It adds like 7oz to the receiver and helps balance the gun, but gets kind of heavy with a big-stick in there.

As for big sticks, I'd get a couple Arredondos and at least one Taylor Freelance base pads. The Taylor works well, after you tune it a bit and having at least one 27-28 round mag means that you won't need to reload on many stages.

I bought a production legal trigger from vanek, I took out a 3 1/2 lb trigger and dropped his in, and it didn't feel much different, then i put the new top end parts in and that's where it made a big difference. Now my issue is when i asked about glock triggers at a local match one of the guys said that he can do a trigger job for me for $25. I found out there is a bunch of guys that I shoot matches with that work on glock triggers. I checked out 4 or 5 of them. Vanek's was nicer because it broke crisper. They had about the same weight, the guys were using some kit from browells and you have to file down the over travel or pre-travel or something. BUT....the moral of the story is I would have saved $175 dollars and would have settled for a little sponge on a soft pull. I obviously wouldn't let just anyone work on my gun and I know how to check the safety's to make sure they all work.

I bought a production legal trigger from vanek, I took out a 3 1/2 lb trigger and dropped his in, and it didn't feel much different, then i put the new top end parts in and that's where it made a big difference. Now my issue is when i asked about glock triggers at a local match one of the guys said that he can do a trigger job for me for $25. I found out there is a bunch of guys that I shoot matches with that work on glock triggers. I checked out 4 or 5 of them. Vanek's was nicer because it broke crisper. They had about the same weight, the guys were using some kit from browells and you have to file down the over travel or pre-travel or something. BUT....the moral of the story is I would have saved $175 dollars and would have settled for a little sponge on a soft pull. I obviously wouldn't let just anyone work on my gun and I know how to check the safety's to make sure they all work.

There are a lot of good trigger jobs out there. I've done my own trigger using various connectors (LWD, Ghost, etc.), Wolff springs, and a little Dremmel work. I also have used the LWD overtravel stop. The results were quite good.

My preference is for almost zero pre-travel and almost zero overtravel/super fast reset. The only way I've seen to get zero pre-travel is to change the angle of the trigger on the trigger bar, which is what the non-production legal Vanek kit does (as does the Glockworx trigger).

Anyway, it is all up to the individual. My friend made it to Open A class with his Franken-Glock & homemade trigger, while I still struggle in C class. To a certain degree it doesn't matter, but for someone who enjoys tinkering with the equipment, I guess it does...

• 2 weeks later...

I'll try to hit as many points as possible.

Lone Wolf Red Dot Sight

NO!! There's a review on my blog.

SJC Major comp

Although I can't compare it to a Novak or Jager, mine works, and it's not noticeably louder than a stock Glock would be with the same ammo. Some comps seem to double or triple the noise.

KKM drop-in threaded barrel

As mentioned, the leade (chamber throat) is too short for longer loaded ammo. 9mm Major loaded to 1.125" or shorter might be scary. Case support, IMO, is close enough to full support. Certainly the thinner brass ahead of the web is supported. Brownell's has reamers for about $38.50, IIRC, but if I were gonna do it again, I'd work something out with SJC instead.

$25 trigger job

I would charge more than that just to polish the trigger bar and bend the tab. I suspect that you'd get just what you paid for. . . not much, unless the guy is a buddy of yours and is doing it mostly as a favor to you. My Vanek kit is nice, and I'd love to get my hands on a GlockWorx Fulcrum trigger.

JPoint

Local shooter has several Optima and JPoint, and he raves about the FastFire on my 17, and plans to buy his own. The glass in the Burris sight is nicer, metal construction, Doctor mount compatible, etc.

Weight

I didn't want to give up the weight of the Carver mount (or sparing my FastFire the beating of reciprocating on the slide). If I were going to mount a red dot on the slide, I'd go with the heavy ICE magwell and tungsten guide rod, unless your local matches have a lot of real close-up targets.

How do you "tune" a Glock mag with Taylor base pad? I honestly don't know what it means to "tune" a mag.

Help shed some light please!

Edited by cmzneb

Sometimes the Taylors will hang up when the follower gets below the factory magazine. When this happens, there's no spring pressure on the ammo which causes it to rattle around and not feed properly. You have to adjust the retention screws on the Taylor to make sure this doesn't happen.

• 8 years later...
On 9/13/2008 at 2:46 PM, Suburban Commando said:

...If I were going to mount a red dot on the slide, I'd go with the heavy ICE magwell and tungsten guide rod, unless your local matches have a lot of real close-up targets.

Can you explain the reasoning here, because I'm also thinking of adding a red dot (Vortex Venom) on my G34 slide.

That is, if you're still following this thread 9 years later :-)