Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

over & under Shotgun

EEH

Some friends recently bought new Beretta 687 trap combos. I'll have plenty of chances to try them out, but I think they are what I'm buying next. I'm not sure about what they currently offer in sporting versions though.

If you want to save money always look for used shotguns. My friend bought his 687 combo from Joel Etchen guns, with upgraded wood, and saved $1300.00 from the price of a new in box. The gun looks brand new.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was somewhat in the same situation when I purchased my shotgun regarding barrel length. I elected a 30 inch but might have bought the 32 but they did not have it. I really doubt you are going to be able to tell much difference and depending on your size, you might like the 30 inch better.

I am not really a fan of either the 686 or the 625 for clays although others are. I like the Browning 525 because it weighs more which really helps if you shoot a match where you shoot morning and afternoon two days in a row. Of course others might say the lighter gun is easier to swing and I am not going to disagree with that but I can say I prefer the more substantial feel of the heavier weapon for clays. When I bird hunt, my preference is the lightest gun I can find.

I am not small - 6'2" about 235 so that is one reason I thought the 32" would be better. I was pretty much set to buy the 686 until I looked at the Brownings. I looked at the 525 too but I really liked the balance of the 625. Is 8 to 8 1/4 lbs. considered a light clays gun?

Eric

Is 8 to 8 1/4 lbs. considered a light clays gun?

No, but "light" is relative to an individual, physical strength, etc.

Some people consider "heavy" at 8 1/2 lbs+, certainly 8 3/4-9lbs. Light might be considered under 8 lbs in this country.

But "balance" is what really defines the dynamics of the gun. Put an ounce or two at the tip of the barrel, and it's a "huge" difference in feel. Put that ounce or two in the butstock, and much less noticable.

I've "read" the barrels of the 625 are lighter, than the 425/525 series.

If you like the balance of the 625 and 32" barrels, I'd go for it. 32" barrels are very common.

For a true beginner what about the Beretta White Onyx? I was looking at one today and seemed pretty fair.

I guess the second question is what do you lose by going White Onyx versus the 687 series versus the Gold E or D10 series. I know some cost a hell of a lot more but are they worth the extra dollars? The White Onyx is about $2k and feels like a decent value. If mostly what I gain by trading up is asthetic then I think I know my decision. Those in the know please help!

J

Edited by j1b

For a true beginner what about the Beretta White Onyx? I was looking at one today and seemed pretty fair.

I guess the second question is what do you lose by going White Onyx versus the 687 series versus the Gold E or D10 series. I know some cost a hell of a lot more but are they worth the extra dollars? The White Onyx is about $2k and feels like a decent value. If mostly what I gain by trading up is asthetic then I think I know my decision. Those in the know please help!

J

Hmm... If the gun fits you, is reliable, is durable, you smile at it when you pick it up, and feel whole a couple hundred shells later in the day. It's a fine gun for you. Aesthetics certainly influences the price. And as you might guess whether a White Onyx Sporting or Gold E or DT10 or a K gun or a P gun is best choice makes for a hotly debated topic. I find it useful to keep in mind that some top rated sporting shooters use a Beretta 391. I like my Gold E and know it is not going to hold me back. I like my 391 and know it would not hold me back.

No this is not a straight line answer to you question.

I tell people new to shotguns to get a 391 of the proper version for their game. It's modestly priced, reliable, durable, and experimentable. Experimentable = comes shims to adjust fit, has lots of aftermarket parts to experiment with balance.... (Get a sporting gun if you don't know what game(s) you prefer. It is not going to be best for all games but will get the job done.)

As you take your 391 to matches shoot every other gun the your squad mates will let you try. In a year or so you can decide if the 391 is a life match or ....

Two sources of info I like:

http://www.shotgunreport.com/TechTech/Tech...aven4-10-07.pdf (explore shotgunreport.com)

Buy and read Chris Batha's book Breaking Clays

One final warning, I enjoy shoot sporting clays and five stand. That may bias my views. Though I have moments of brilliance you will not currently find my name on any best shooters in the state list.

Edited by Tangram

IMO, if you like the feel of the Beretta, the Onyx would be a best buy!

Same "internal" parts as the 687/682. The 682 has a slightly different receiver design and an "adjustable" trigger. I'm not aware of any reliability or durability differences between the models.

They may "feel" different.

The DT-10 is in another category of O/U, basically in the Perazzi/Kreighoff line by "intent". It's Beretta's model to compete in the higher end, since the SO series entered the "stratosphere" in pricing many years ago. Meaning, if you were to watch the Olympic videos that NBC had online, if a shooter was using a Beretta, chances are it was a DT-10. Both the mens and womens gold medalists in skeet used a DT-10 for example.

Debating whether guns mentioned above are "worth" the extra money, is an "interesting" discussion. ;)

Edited by Irishlad

Precisely what I was looking for. Thanks!

Part of this endeavor is a little sentimental so you gotta bear with me.

Don't know what I'm going to go with but will advise when I do. I am intrigued!

Thanks a bunch!

J

Buy and read Chris Batha's book Breaking Clays

One final warning, I enjoy shoot sporting clays and five stand. That may bias my views. Though I have moments of brilliance you will not currently find my name on any best shooters in the state list.

Oh - ordered the book today - thanks for the advice.

And on the second part - I see moments of brilliance in the IPSC world too. They are short term, I doubt you see my name at the top of any state list, but I still allow my passion to stand for something.

I appreciate the advice. And look forward to my first 25.

J

Don't know what I'm going to go with but will advise when I do

I'd take yout time. I sound like a broken record, but if you can try/shoot different ones, it's much easier to pick...much!

The 0/U market is good for used guns also, unmodified internally of course...save "big bucks". ;)

But, buy what you want, not what's the best buy always. Meaning, don't buy "short" barrels when you wanted "long", just because of price.

Call Cole gunsmiths on the Beretta's...they are the authority if that's what your going to buy.

I am often wrong. :rolleyes:

• 5 months later...

Well I finally decided on a shotgun. Took a while eh?

I've landed on a Browning Citori 625 Sporting 30". Feels like a fairly versatile shotgun that'll give me a ton of options.

I tabled this deal for a while but since I've moved to Pittsburgh the interest in shooting skeet, 5 stand, and sporting clays has surged again. There's a ton of shooting over here, I'm excited about it.

Gonna be fun learning new games, and shooting the things I'm familiar with too. Best thing about moving to Pitt so far has been all the shooting - of all kinds!

Jack

Well I finally decided on a shotgun. Took a while eh?

I've landed on a Browning Citori 625 Sporting 30". Feels like a fairly versatile shotgun that'll give me a ton of options.

I tabled this deal for a while but since I've moved to Pittsburgh the interest in shooting skeet, 5 stand, and sporting clays has surged again. There's a ton of shooting over here, I'm excited about it.

Gonna be fun learning new games, and shooting the things I'm familiar with too. Best thing about moving to Pitt so far has been all the shooting - of all kinds!

Jack

Cool, the 625 is gonna be my next sporting gun too (but I'll go with 32")

I'm running a Cynergy sporting now in 32".

Congratulations on selecting your new shotgun. May it serve you well.

Side Note:

The weather god made a mistake and let the sun shine on two friends and me . We ran through a few boxes of shells on a five stand type of set up. Damn I enjoy this/these game(s) and the friends I have made.

So I debated 30" versus 32"

Got good counsel from a good friend. He said go 32". No question. I was leaning towards 28". He said he could live with a 30" for me (in other words he wouldn't have to kill me) and I thought a 30" was a good compromise. I'm relatively ignorant in terms of understanding the difference.

I probably should have got the 32" but I feel like a 30" will serve me well.

Thanks!

Jack

30 inch is a good barrel length to shoot. There are some guys shooting the 32s but for a newer shooter the 30s are alot easier to get moving. In skeet there are some going 32s with tubes in them and if you can handle the weight is is a nice setup. If you can't its just awful. I would say good choice with the 30s

Be a few days before I pick it up. Probably next week - hopefully early next week. Cause I CAN NOT wait!

Good news is my wife and daughter are coming up for the weekend so we'll have a good weekend (probably good the ol' shotgun ain't here yet) and then hopefully the beast shows up quickly.

Next weekend a group of us are headed to some top ranked sporting clays range over here. Gonna be a freakin' blast! I can't wait.

Truthfully, I look forward to competing with the shotgun. Learning new things. Expanding the horizon and trying something new. I don't know if I want to compete in skeet or sporting clays. I don't know if I can get to a level where I'm any kind of competent shooter - I do look forward to working on it though.

Thanks for the advice on the 30". I debated hard. I think I'll be happy with a 30". Needed a post as a vote of confidence though!

Jack

• 4 weeks later...
  • 7 years later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Benelli 828 is a fantastic shotgun which is semi-automatic, light in weight and extremely well balanced for shooting.

The main features of Benelli 828 are:-

Patented steel locking system and plate

Impulse activated ejectors

Easily removable trigger group receiver

Adjustable drop and cast