Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.40 Load with Universal and Montana's

Seth

I just finished chrono'ing the first rounds of my load for Limited.

180 gr. Montana Gold CMJs over 5.5gr Universal Clays loaded to 1.185" -- this is a slight mod of a buddy of mine's pet load. Chrono'd at 174 all day long in the 100 degree heat. Really nice, controlable recoil and clean as a whistle.

200 rounds and the only real indication that the gun was shot was the little gold flecks everywhere -- and almost zero smoke.

The best part is that the Aftec I installed last week ran flawlessly. Limited here I come!

Seth

many moons ago I tried Universal in .40 I find it to be pretty slow burning, wait until you shoot a low light match and you'll see what I mean, I also found it to be pretty spikey at higher pressures and I was getting 80-100 fps ES. Now alot of my problems might have been the OAL as I was loading around 1.130 and I see your alot longer. Good luck we should meet up in Fredericksburg that way we can put a face with the comments.

I have a pound of N320 and the remains of a 3# universal, so I'm focused on those 2 right now. Once they're both gone, I'll continue to experiment with some other loads. I am really enjoying playing with the options and tayloring it to my tastes.

After the two aforementioned are gone, I'll probably give E3 a try, since I have no experience iwth it yet. I use Clays in my .45 loads and love it...

many moons ago I tried Universal in .40 I find it to be pretty slow burning, wait until you shoot a low light match and you'll see what I mean, I also found it to be pretty spikey at higher pressures and I was getting 80-100 fps ES. Now alot of my problems might have been the OAL as I was loading around 1.130 and I see your alot longer. Good luck we should meet up in Fredericksburg that way we can put a face with the comments.

I also loaded my first batch of .40 today and they all came out around 1.120 - 1.127 OAL. I can't seem to find the consistancy for some reason or is this a "normal" variation between rounds?

Edited by Flat4boxer

I don't have a limited load for you but I shoot Universal for Open with 135 gr bullets. Used the same load for 4 yrs now. I haven't found a reason to switch though it probably wouldn't hurt to experiment some

Flyin

You might be able to back your powder off a touch. I use 4.9gr of UC, a 180gr Zero JHP or 180 black bullet, and get 170pf. Depending on your OAL, I would think 5.0 or 5.1grs would be about right for a 170pf with a Montana Gold 180.

I'm going to play with it a little for sure. I just stole load notes from a buddy and backed it off a hair. I'd like to see if I can't get it down some, but I like not having to worry about making PF. 170ish makes me happy.