Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

CCF race frame question/problem

colbyjack

a friend of mine just got his CCF race frame in stainless. he switched everything over from his 17 long slide. he was wondering why it recoils just as bad, well maybe not bad, but just as much. shouldnt with a ccf frame with the more weight, shouldnt it recoil less and speed up the follow up shots?

also the lil shock buff thing, you guys keep them in or yank it out? he was having some cycling problems. he said he'll probably have to cut some coils out for it to run. he shoots minor, 115 gr bullet. the 1911 he shoots on a occasion dont recoil as much as this. he thought the steel frame on the glock now would make it like the 1911 and allow him to run faster.

any tips or ideas that i can pass along to him. im waiting a email from him to explain everything and ill copy and paste it here. and i told him to sign up also why hes at it.

-chris

heres what he sent me, hes email this to CCF for info also.

To: info@ccfraceframes.com

Sent: Sat, 14 Jun 2008 6:15 pm

Subject: recoil spring

ccf-

I just bought a stainless frame for my longslide 17 after shooting a friends 1911 in 9mm - i was excited about how still the front sight was, but im not a big 1911 fan and wanted the ccf frame for my glock. i am having trouble getting my reloaded ammo to cylce. im using 115gr jacketed loaded to about 128 power factor and the recoil spring is glock factory original. this ammo ran perfect without any missfeeds for a couple of years and also ran perfect in my friends 1911, but i noticed his slide moved real easy and light. im assuming adding the buffer is causing to much pressure and some coils need to be cut off. my dealer is ordering a couple polymer recoil rods from you on monday and im wondering if you have a suggestion on how many coils to cut.

also - it seems like my front sight moves as much if not more than when i used the plastic gun and i don't understand why. wandering if the recoil spring pressure being to high could be a cause or if its just the new feeling grip. however the 1911 i shot was a different grip than im used to but did't give me any problem.

thats the email he sent, any info or help will be greatly appreciated -chris

From what I've personally seen, tell him to sell it as fast as he can. Great concept; very poor execution by CCF. Just one man's $.02. Cheers.

-br out.

From what I've personally seen, tell him to sell it as fast as he can. Great concept; very poor execution by CCF. Just one man's $.02. Cheers.

-br out.

not to familar with CCF ill pass it on to him, what kinds of problems have they had? are they not the frame to have on a limited or open build for glock? what should he look out for or what have you seen? ill def pass on the info. thanks -chris

colbyjack-

I do not want to pile on, and this thread is not in the "What I Hate" forum. Try searching this forum for "ccf" for additional info. One man's trash is another man's treasure.

-br out.

CCF's are fun getting to play nice, you didn't state if it is stock barrel or not? If not it has to be machined to fit so it doesn't break lugs. also my CCF just broke it's 3rd extractor about every 5000 rounds, you have to use the old style 9mm non loaded chamber indicator extractor with a white .40 s&w plunger on the spring to get it to extract nice. also mine doesn't like OAL over 1.115 or light loads, keep PF over 135 and check. Yes use the buffer, I don't cut any coils, use 13lb spring, Recoil is less but yes it still moves. If I did it all over I wouldn't of gotten one, works good now after lots of bs but extractors breaking every 2.5 months sucks! IMHO :cheers:

I doubt the Steel frame would change recoil all that much. Most of the weight difference is in the hands which doesn't change the muzzle flip much. It should have less of a push back but you're not going to see a huge difference in flip. Also, one of the reasons the Glock has such a nice recoil characteristic is the frame flexs and absorbs some of the energy. With a steel gun you lose that.

I'm just guessin' here, but...128 PF with a STOCK recoil spring and a STEEL frame??? Sounds like it is OVERSPRUNG...might try the 13 lb. ISMI on a steel or tungsten rod...I'd bet it would "Track" better, FEEL Better and feel FLATTER in recoil...the set-up, as-is, just sounds all OUT OF BALANCE to me...but what do I know?!?!....mikey357

Yes on the 13lb spring, but not tungsten rod, big warnings in regard to not using steel\tungsten rod due to steel frame, stock rod, use buffer and drop the spring weight. Note the extractor fun mentioned earlier. Flex dead on in regards to recoil issue with minor 9mm load.

• 1 year later...
I doubt the Steel frame would change recoil all that much. Most of the weight difference is in the hands which doesn't change the muzzle flip much. It should have less of a push back but you're not going to see a huge difference in flip. Also, one of the reasons the Glock has such a nice recoil characteristic is the frame flexs and absorbs some of the energy. With a steel gun you lose that.

As far as recoil goes, I've noticed a good bit of difference in recoil that I've felt while shooting my CCF G22 vs my G22. I have my CCF set up with the 1911 grip. I too was worried about the lack of flex in the stainless frame but I enjoy shooting 40sw out of my CCF much more than my Glock frame. I believe it feels more like a 9mm with the stainless frame. I'm curious how the aluminum frame might work.

I used a CCF Stainless frame with my G35 in limited-10 this year, and found it made .40 recoil pretty mild, unlike the snappy factory recoil. The 1911 grip worked well, and the mags never jammed up on reloads. It was a bit hard on the spec'ed shock buffers though and required the factory glock barrel. It was pretty heavy at 44 oz, but very controllable one handed.