Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm Major loads

pinger

I was just wondering if anyone had any major loads with Hodgdon Longshot and a 147gr bullet. I have a bunch of it and i want to shoot it up!

No disrepect meant either---don't do it.

I would not use a 147gr bullet ( 147/longshot is not a good combination for major 9). Crank up some minor loads with the 147 or trade for some 121/124.

If you have a bunch of longshot, get some 124gr bullets. I have not used longshot, but I know many 9 Major shooters who do and really like it.

I've heard that it was a good powder for 9 major, and luckily, i have a bunch of it. I plan on using 125's after i burn through the 147's.

Thanks for the info! I'm just now getting started on loading 9mm, so i'll be ready when i pick up my new open gun :)

Looks like i'll just be loading some minor loads to burn up those 147's.

I actually load Longshot for 9x19 Major, but with a 125grs bullet.

I load about 7,5grs with Small Pistol Std. and a COL 29,6mm.

This is for my STI Trubor and makes easily Major.

The hodgdon database says 3,8-4,7grs (min/max) for 147grs bullet and a COL of 1,1".

Benjamin

• 1 year later...

No experience with 147s but

Longshot has a quirk when you push it to far - when you pass the line the velocity will actually go down and more powder might not change anything, spread may or may not increase.

I have experienced this with temperature change on a load that was stable when tested at 40-60 degrees, but suddenly did not make major (75 fps cushion) at 75.

Sherwyn

Well, I'm no expert but I expect that there are a lot of damn good reasons why people don't use a 147gr bullet for major.

If you just want to "shoot it up", load down to a safe PF. And for that matter, a quick glance at the load data indicates that there is no way you can make major with Longshot in a 9mm with any weight bullet without seriously going past the max load.

This looks like an accident waiting to happen.

Well, I'm no expert but I expect that there are a lot of damn good reasons why people don't use a 147gr bullet for major.

If you just want to "shoot it up", load down to a safe PF. And for that matter, a quick glance at the load data indicates that there is no way you can make major with Longshot in a 9mm with any weight bullet without seriously going past the max load.

This looks like an accident waiting to happen.

Well... for your education read through this thread:

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=12740&hl=longshot 115://http://www.brianenos.com/forums/ind...hl=longshot 115

If you do a search of the powders that are commonly used for 9MM Major (as listed in the above thread) and their respective max loading for 124 grain and 147 grain are:

MAX BOOK LOADS - 9 MM:

HS6

125: 6.8 grains - 1169 FPS

147: 5.0 grains - 885 FPS

True Blue

125: 6.0 grain - 1115 FPS

147: 5.0 grain - 926 FPS

Silhouette

125: 5.6 grain - 1105 FPS

147: 4.5 grain - 930 FPS

Power Pistol (Alliant):

125: 6.4 grain - 1157 FPS

147: 5.0 grain - 975 FPS

Now compare that to Longshot.

Longshot:

125: 5.7 grain - 1162 FPS

147: 4.7 grain - 1004 FPS

... and take into consideration that Longshot is one of the powders listed in the above thread.

Next time you see a 9MM major shooter, ask him/her what their load is. Compare the load that they quoted you to the factory 9MM loading. Then for the coming months see if he/she blows up. :roflol:

For the 147's I actually used Alliant Power Pistol. I was able to get a load to about 1130 fps without any signs of high pressure.

I had good results with Longshot running right at about 165.1 PF with 124gr Precision Delta bullets, and it seemed to be a good powder while it lasted.

Since then, i have been using Power Pistol exclusively because of availability. After using all of the 147's, I have only been using 124gr and 125gr bullets. Now that i don't have any left, I don't really have a reason to use 147gr bullets in 9mm these days.

Power Pistol is fairly clean, and very consistent. It makes 175 pf without a problem, and no signs of high pressure at all. THe only problem is that it is a LOUD powder, but that's why they make earplugs.

Like everyone else, I recommend 125's with Longshot. And, honestly, 9mm Major is beyond all published 9x19 data i have found. So, the best thing to do is start safe, and work your way up.

For the 147's I actually used Alliant Power Pistol. I was able to get a load to about 1130 fps without any signs of high pressure.

Can you share the data that you had for Power Pistol for the 147's?

Thanks.

(I'm primarily planning to shoot this load out of a uncompensated pistol specifially for knocking steel around --- hence the focus on 147's.)

Well to give you an idea, Alliant used to publish a load very close to major with 147's.

5.7grs of Power Pistol with a 147gr Hdy XTP at 1.140 OAL out of a 4" test barrel--1095fps and 34,000 psi. I didn't use that bullet, but that's where i started; Hence, the starting point i suggest. Where I stopped was a tad over 6 grains, and that was right at major out of a 5" Trubor barrel.

I have the same data in my RCBS software, I'd be surprised if another inch or two of barrel would bump it up some, FYI a couple more near major published loads:

VVn105 6.5 grs, 147gr XTP @ 1.142oal, 165.4 pf from 4.5" barrel

AA7 7.2 grs 147gr TMJ, 1.155 OAL 171pf but that is from an 18" barrel.

• 7 years later...
On 6/12/2008 at 8:08 AM, pinger said:

I was just wondering if anyone had any major loads with Hodgdon Longshot and a 147gr bullet. I have a bunch of it and i want to shoot it up!

You might make it, I'd start at 4.5gr and work up to 5.5gr slowly watching for the point where velocity drops off; the longer you load the further you can push that point out.

12 minutes ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

Nice going Kidcolt :)

Shows you are trying to gather historical wisdom by reading thru Very Old Threads    :bow:

We should ALL do that more often.    :) 

Probably making the quest to 50 then off to the races in the classifieds.

30 minutes ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

I wouldn't assume that ...    :huh:

Sounded like some good info he posted ....    :)

I appreciate good info    :bow:

I am mistaken and take that back. I looked at another post of his and assumed he was bumping really old posts but it was just a post he made back in 2014 and I jumped to conclusions. Youre right Jack. good info