Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ben Stoeger

Ben Stoeger

But if WST is half as clean as WSF (just loaded a bunch of hot 115s with that to shoot LFI-1 with Massad Ayoob) then it might be worth a look. WSF is ridiculously clean.

Did you guy shoot LF1 as a student, Evan? Or did you go shoot it as an instructor? If as a student, why? I have seen your videos on YouTube. I wouldn't think you would need a class such as LF1.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But if WST is half as clean as WSF (just loaded a bunch of hot 115s with that to shoot LFI-1 with Massad Ayoob) then it might be worth a look. WSF is ridiculously clean.

Did you guy shoot LF1 as a student, Evan? Or did you go shoot it as an instructor? If as a student, why? I have seen your videos on YouTube. I wouldn't think you would need a class such as LF1.

Psst... A PM would have been a better place for this. Apologies to Ben for jacking his Range Diary...

I'm taking LFI-1 June 24-29. I have a lot left to learn compared to many of the people here, but yes, I'm pretty good with a pistol.

But being able to kill paper quickly is very different from a real-life defensive shooting. And Ayoob's class, although 45 hours, only requires 500 rounds. You don't even handle a weapon for the first two days. Compared to the other big-name instructors, he's indisputably the foremost expert on the legal angles involved, and that's primarily what I'd like to learn from him.

Oh, and my Dad is paying my tuition for the class - I just had to load him some ammo. "Its free" is always a good reason to do something. ;)

Edited by MemphisMechanic

Greetings from Texas!

Yesterday I shot the Texas Open Championship. It was ten stages, with an average round count of 31!

Bryan W has been an awesome host down here. He picked me up from the airport and drove me out to the match.

My only real complaint is that Texas is hot as F*$#.

The match had LOTS of no shoots covering about 70% of the targets. The partial target flavor of the match made things really challenging for the production gunners. We worked hard to sneak our hits into the A zone without getting a penalty. The match was certainly set up for Open guns, often with 16 rounds or so fired from one position. This made for some interesting strategy considerations for the 10 round guys.

I will have video and results later.

Greetings from Texas!

My only real complaint is that Texas is hot as F*$#.

Ben its only May, you need to go to Texas in august, its just that your blood is to thick it seems like Wisconsin only has about 90 days of spring winter and fall, the rest is all winter. we have proof with your shootig videos. Do you know why there are not any videos of other people practicing in the winter? Because it is to cold!

I just saw the results Ben you didn't win TOP PRODUCTION in 2 stages, stage 4 and stage 9 WTH man bad day or what? Good Job!

Edited by rupie

Yeah I guess I had a tough match. It was a little hot for me. =)

Video of the Match is HERE

A big thanks to Bryan for picking me up and showing me around. I got a flavor for the matches in Texas and a flavor for Texas BBQ. I had an awesome trip and I can’t wait to do it again. Hanging out on the practice range with Bryan and working on our shooting was the best part of the whole trip. You don’t often meet motivated guys like him that actually WORK at it.

where are the results posted?

Production:

1 Stoeger, Ben A54313 GM Production Minor N N N N 1545.2468 100.00%

2 Carrell, Gordon TY51332 M Production Minor N N N N 1341.3433 86.80%

3 Phan, Tony FY11963 M Production Minor N N N N 1247.8062 80.75%

4 Williams, Bryan A27784 M Production Minor N N Y N 1199.7937 77.64%

5 Carruth, Sheldon A46823 M Production Minor N N N N 1142.8312 73.96%

Overall:

1 Reed, Jimmy A29328 GM Open Major N N N N 1520.1380 100.00%

2 Saiti, Naim TY49393 GM Open Major N N N N 1461.1084 96.12%

3 Brown, Ron L2988 M Open Major N N N N 1451.0738 95.46%

4 Coley, Shane TY51938 GM Open Major N N N N 1401.8135 92.22%

5 Steadman, Roy L3082 M Open Major N N N N 1394.0170 91.70%

6 Stockton, Scott A47162 GM Open Major N N N N 1350.4332 88.84%

7 Gentry, Kevin TY53668 M Open Major N N N N 1298.5212 85.42%

8 Neel, Nicholas TY55323 A Open Major N N N N Junior 1296.2879 85.27%

9 Garcia, Edwin A38396 M Open Major N N N N 1291.8242 84.98%

10 Stoeger, Ben A54313 GM Production Minor N N N N 1276.7576 83.99%

11 Weers, David A34308 GM Limited Major N N N N 1253.9706 82.49%

12 Reese, Scott A47212 M Limited Major N N N N 1249.2050 82.18%

13 Gaines, Sean TY53481 M Open Major N N N N 1246.3871 81.99%

14 Neel, Lee TY53799 M Open Major N N N N 1245.0134 81.90%

15 Folger, Chad L3037 M Limited Major N N N N 1232.8617 81.10%

Saw Ben's shooting up close for this match and on the practice range. I've never seen anyone shoot as many A's at speed as him ever. Truly impressive shooting - I learned a bunch. Thanks for coming down Ben, look forward to seeing you shoot again in Vegas!

Aww come on Ben, the Texas heat isn't that bad...

Hope you had a good time with the Chief. I'm sure he took good care of you.

And...Congrats on the win!

Thanks man... and oh yeah.. the Chief was lots of fun!

Ok guys.. I am back into the training. I worked on 4 Bill Drill today. Here is a video of me shooting pretty recklessly on it:

I was down 24 pts on this particular run, but that was still good enough for the 100% given the speed. I sped up TONS shooting this drill. Most of the time the accuracy stayed pretty good. This makes me think that I really could split faster on long targets at matches, with a little bit more training.

I was down 24 pts on this particular run, but that was still good enough for the 100% given the speed. I sped up TONS shooting this drill. Most of the time the accuracy stayed pretty good. This makes me think that I really could split faster on long targets at matches, with a little bit more training.

Please don't. Your insane speed at 25 yard partials is the one thing that already nearly has me wanting to vomit.

(I'm pretty sure that might've be a compliment. Then again, I'm sick at the moment, sooo...) :unsure:

Things I noticed:

* Exiting the porta-john at 1:33ish in the Texas vid, did you actually get lost for a second? *gasp*

* Loved the way you crashed ribcage-first into the wall on the right side of the port-a-john stage. Way to commit.

* I have a new goal. I want to routinely startle ROs with the speed of my movement, especially when no one else apparently thought to back-out slightly while loading up to that point in the entire match, because he clearly isn't expecting it. (Thinking of the stage where you start by shooting around the back of the van at 2:34).

* Every once in a while, the camera angle gives a perfect view of what it really looks like when you haul ass. Usually, it's downrange. But your WI match video last year, and this one at 0:14 .. Really show what it looks like when a GM is booking.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

I am rocking some SPEED drills this week. I am forgetting about the accuracy shit I always preach about and just trying to put holes in cardboard as fast as I can. I got hopped up on Red Bull and went to the range and tore up about 400 rds.

Here is the video:

I am setting some personal bests. 1.47 bill drill, 3.55 el prez, 2 As at 5 yards in .85 seconds….and so on. A few more days of this type of training and I am going to work on normal accuracy based drills in preparation for area 5 coming up soon.

I am rocking some SPEED drills this week. I am forgetting about the accuracy shit I always preach about and just trying to put holes in cardboard as fast as I can. I got hopped up on Red Bull and went to the range and tore up about 400 rds.

Here is the video:

I am setting some personal bests. 1.47 bill drill, 3.55 el prez, 2 As at 5 yards in .85 seconds….and so on. A few more days of this type of training and I am going to work on normal accuracy based drills in preparation for area 5 coming up soon.

Sweet....UNLEASH THE MONKEY!!!!

UNLEASH THE MONKEY!!!!

:roflol: :roflol:

Ben, I had an idea-slash-request for a future article. A rough schedule of an "average" week for you.

We get little tibits: "I've been loading XXX amount of ammo this week"... "Today I worked on ____" ... and so on.

I would love to see something like a little calendar type of thing:

MONDAY:

Work from 8-5 (or whatever the hell you do)

Dryfire for 2 hours

Load XXX rounds of ammo

Get ready for bed

Dream about dryfiring

TUESDAY:

Live fire: 3 hours. X amount of rounds.

clean gun.

wake up in a cold-sweat from a nightmare where you're 0.3% behind Sevigny at the Nats, and your front sight falls off transitioning to a 25yd plate rack

And so on. It'd be interesting to see how much time is actually spent in an "average" week of yours on gun-stuff, how many days of live fire, and so on.

Oh, and (referring to speed video, which was beyond badass) why the hell do you always wear freaking sandals to a muddy range? I've never seen you wearing a pair of boots when that mudhole is wet. Ever.

This week so far:

Here you can have 2 days: (I average 20-25 hours a week of shooting BS)

Monday:

Workout 1 hour

Dryfire 45 minutes

Loading ammo: 1.5 hours

Tuesday:

Biking: 1.5 Hours

Live Fire Time: 2 hours

Dry Fire time: .5 hours

Gun Cleaning time: 15 minutes

Here is the video:

Sweet....UNLEASH THE MONKEY!!!!

That is the plan!

:cheers:

Here is the video:

Where is your focus when you shoot at those speeds?

Front sight or target?